This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Help for Newbie

I have a Nuvi 2797 and try as I may cannot find access photos taken to download.
Can anyone help a first timer?

Cheers
dad

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    edited February 4
    Do you mean screenshots taken in your device? They'll be in a folder named Scrn or possibly Screenshot on the device, IIRC.
  • dad 30 Points
    Thanks mate, I run a Mac and have not found anything yet. I'll revisit the Nuvi and try again.

Cheers

dad
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Can you explain what kind of "photos" are you talking about?
  • dad 30 Points
    Simply touch the Nuvi 2797 camera icon and it goes click. Just cannot locate the resultant photos.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited February 4
    I would not really call those "photos". It simply saves an image of what you see on the GPS screen, such as the map or menu. Is that what you want? Just wanted to make sure we are talking about the same thing. :)

I have a Dezl 760, which is another 7" device from the same year that uses the same hardware as your 2797. When I connect it to my Mac, a disk named "GARMIN" appears on the desktop, and there is a folder inside named "Screenshot". That is where you will find them.
  • dad 30 Points
    Thanks Boyd,
    That's very interesting, a camera icon that clicks like a camera and takes shots of it's own the screen hmmm minimalist use for that feature. I was hoping for a Dashcam.

I'll follow your advice and dig deeper.

Thanks for your help mate.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    It's just a GPS, there is no camera. That icon is activated when you go to the Display settings and check the screenshot box, which is labelled "saves a screen image". Since you have to manually select this feature, the function seems pretty clear. But if someone else had turned it on before you got the device, then it might be confusing. Just go to the Display settings and un-check the Screenshot box, then the icon will go away.

What do you expect to find by "digging deeper"? That's really all there is to this function. If you look in the Screenshot folder, it will contain images of whatever was showing on the screen when you clicked the camera icon.

If the Nuvi does not appear as a disk on your desktop when connected, choose Preferences from the Finder menu on your Mac and click the General button. Under "Show these items of the Desktop" check the box labelled "External disks". It should then appear on your screen.
  • oldyellr 181 Points
    I just got a Garmin Drive 50 and after reading this thread I tried this feature. I can easily find the screenshots when I connect the GPS to my computer using Windows Explorer (not Garmin Express), but exactly how do you find the screenshots on the GPS? I came across it once but I can't find it again.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    edited July 13
    You can't view the screenshots on your GPS. If you mean set it so you can take them, it's in Settings, Display. Note if you use the onboard Help app you can find the solution to questions like this with a simple search.
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    @dad,

"...That's very interesting, a camera icon that clicks like a camera and takes shots of it's own the screen..."

Your Mac does exactly the same thing - when taking a "screenshot".
    Many computer - and other computer-like devices like the Garmin - functions have audible signals that alert the user that "something has happened": like "click" when producing a screenshot.
    Such audible alerts are managed in the Settings/Preferences of the computer/device.
  • Tirionl 0 Points
    I had same problems with mine gps. By the way I bought new eyeride system for my car and compared it with the Garmin. I will write report soon...