This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Is Garmin gpsmap 64s Map supposed to point to entered coordinates whether moving or still?

I have struggled with this since I bought the 64s 3 years ago. I must be moving for the pointer on the Map screen to point to the designated coordinates. Once I stop moving it loses it's mind and points in any direction. I have a friend who owns one and he says his points to the target at all time whether he's moving or not. The distance always works correctly and I understand the compass must be calibrated for this to work.

So is it supposed to do like my friend says it should or not? If it's supposed to, how to I make my unit do that? I find it very frustrating the it loses it's mind when I stop.

Comments

• sussamb 792 Points
    It should remain pointing at the location. Are you sure you've set it to use the compass rather than GPS for direction?
  • sussamb 792 Points
    Adding to that I've just checked on my Montana, and the setting is under Set Up, Headings, Compass. Having said that mine is set to GPS. The reason for this is that I've found that numerous things can cause issues with the electronic compass, so I can't be 100% sure it's always accurate. By using the GPS heading I'm confident that it's showing correctly, though it does mean as you've found that when you stop the display rotates.
  • i_am_jim 81 Points
    edited February 7
    Thanks for your reply.

I don't have those choices. Under Set Up, Headings, Compass my choices are Auto or Off. It's set to Auto
  • sussamb 792 Points
    edited February 7
    Try switching it to off, then reboot and see what happens. I suspect they'll be no change in which case switch it back to auto, reboot and see if that's resolved it.
  • i_am_jim 81 Points
    I'll do that. I just talked to Garmin and they say it's GPS drift. I don't know what that is but it makes the compass worthless and doesn't seem to explain why it works fine when I'm moving.
  • i_am_jim 81 Points
    edited February 7
    OK, I've switched the compass off, restarted, turned it back on and restarted again. I can't know if that changed anything until I make a short trip.
  • sussamb 792 Points
    i_am_jim said:

I'll do that. I just talked to Garmin and they say it's GPS drift. I don't know what that is but it makes the compass worthless and doesn't seem to explain why it works fine when I'm moving.

I don't follow that at all. My Montana compass is rock steady when I stop, it's only when it's using gps for direction that it moves around

• i_am_jim 81 Points
    edited February 7
    I don't use the pseudocompass screen I use the map screen with the line pointing to the target, but I think they should work the same
  • DaveM 157 Points
    Are you talking about the blue triangle on the map screen?
  • i_am_jim 81 Points
  • sussamb 792 Points
    Well that line could vary a bit due to gps drift, that's not the compass arrow but a line from where you are to where you're going. Still it shouldn't vary by much.
  • i_am_jim 81 Points
    It jumps by as much as 150 degrees. It doesn't wander, it jumps.
  • Boyd 1967 Points
    edited February 7
    I am a bit confused here, but I don't think there is a mode where the screen always points in the direction of your destination. It sounds like you are using "track up" mode, and unless you are walking in a very straight line across an empty parking lot or something, when you walk through the woods the trail is going to zig-zag and your body is going to sway. That will cause the screen to rotate to match your movements, although the line will always point to your destination.

Or maybe I'm missing something? What you describe sounds like what I have seen on several garmin devices in track-up (as opposed to north-up) mode. If it is swinging wildly around, I agree, that sounds like the errors that you get when using the gps signal to determine direction of travel. The compass should be smoother if it is calibrated and working properly.
  • i_am_jim 81 Points
    edited February 7
    I drove out near a cache and made this video. I'm in my 80s and I have tremor, that's why the GPSr isn't still. I had just stopped and am not moving when the video begins. The pointer on the right is pointing at the target. With no movement (except my shake) it jumps from about 80 degrees to about 340 degrees.
  • DaveM 157 Points
    You have the map set to “Track Up” so the direction of travel will be towards the top of the screen. It looks like you have the compass set to “Off” if so it is using GPS for direction of travel. If it’s off as the GPS signal bounces around a little it will think you are moving different directions. When it thinks you are moving in a different direction the screen will jump as in your video. Try setting it to “Auto” then calibrate it. Let us know if this helps. With it set to auto it will use the compass for direction of travel until you are moving and then switch to GPS. It shouldn’t jump around using the compass.
  • sussamb 792 Points
    edited February 8
    He has it set to auto, see above.

However not only does the line shift but also the compass arrow top left moves so for whatever reason it's not using the in built compass. It, the software or the settings are wrong somewhere. If it were me I'd now try a master reset to see if that resolves it.
  • DaveM 157 Points
    The statement above is why I said looks like and not that it is off. I know I’ve thought I had one setting only to find I had something else. If it was me I would check before doing a master reset.
    I agree it’s not using the compass.
  • i_am_jim 81 Points
    I have done a master reset while chasing this problem.

• Boyd 1967 Points
    Maybe there is a problem with the compass? If you stop the route, so you are just looking at the map in track up mode, with the compass on, stand stationary in the same spot. Does the map still jump around when you do that? Now, slowly turn (while standing in the same spot) and watch the screen. The map should rotate smoothly as your body turns, so that the direction you are facing is always at the top of the screen.

If it still jerks around when you do this, then you either aren't using the compass or there is some kind of problem with it.
  • i_am_jim 81 Points
  • sussamb 792 Points
    edited February 8
    Looks more and more like a device issue but you'll be well out of warranty now :(
  • i_am_jim 81 Points
    Boyd said:

Maybe there is a problem with the compass? If you stop the route, so you are just looking at the map in track up mode, with the compass on, stand stationary in the same spot. Does the map still jump around when you do that?

Did you see my post with the video? It should answer your question.

• i_am_jim 81 Points
    edited February 8
    sussamb said:

you'll be well out of warranty now :(

Correct.

Garmin used to offer a $100 deal for a refurbished unit, even after warranty. Do you know if they still do that?

• Boyd 1967 Points
    I couldn't tell much from that video, and you have an active route engaged. Try that simple test I suggested. But I also suspect there is a problem with the compass.

The only way to find out what kind of deal Garmin offers will be to contact them directly. ;)
  • i_am_jim 81 Points
    Thanks for the help. I now think the device is defective and has been since I bought it. I'll look into getting another.
  • i_am_jim 81 Points
    edited February 20
    I bought a replacement from Garmin.

As you may remember this is how my unit was behaving. The pointer and the compass arrow jumped while I was still.

Well, this is how the replacement unit is behaving -- no change. The conditions for the videos were identical. Except for my tremor I and the units were both still.

So I bought at replacement for nothing. What the hell is the compass suppose to do? It doesn't point north and doesn't stabilize the pointer when stopped.

I asked HERE how to tell if the compass is calibrated and as of yet have received no answer.
  • i_am_jim 81 Points
    edited February 21
    Is anyone out there or are you just too baffled to speak?

I have a friend who uses the 64s who says he doesn't think the arrowhead in the upper left with an N in it doesn't necessarily point north even when the compass is calibrated. Can that possibly be so? If true, what's its purpose?

• sussamb 792 Points
    Your friends works you said right at the beginning. I think the consensus here was that there was a settings issue on your device, so that it's using the GPS for direction and not the in built electronic compass. Perhaps try comparing settings with your friend?
  • DaveM 157 Points
    The upper left arrow with the N should point north when you are moving no matter if the compass is calibrated or not. It will use GPS. It should point north while you are stopped if the compass is calibrated. Dose it point north while you are moving or dose it jump around?
  • Boyd 1967 Points
    I think you have probably exhausted the knowledge of members here. Truth is, fewer and fewer people are buying dedicated handheld GPS units these days, so there just isn't as much discussion here as there once was.

You might want to try the geocaching GPS forum on this site. Geocachers still use handheld gps units and I believe there are several members there with the same model as yours: https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/forum/11-gps/
  • privet01 215 Points
    Mine always point north on my devices that have a magnetic compass. Except for when you are doing certain things like extending the pointer out to pick a selection on the map. At that time, both the map and the north arrow remain fixed in the same orientation on the screen no matter the direction I turn or whether I'm stopped or moving.

If the north arrow only points correctly on your device when moving in navigation mode, then I'd expect your magnetic compass is either not working or some mystery setting is still not being found.