This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

FYI - GPS date rollover

Comments

• alanb 536 Points
    edited February 13
    We briefly discussed the week rollover problem a while back in this thread: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/208489. The consensus seemed to be that Garmin had addressed this issue in most of its modern devices.
  • privet01 215 Points
    Probably will mirror the big event we had December 31, 1999 as we changed to January 1, 2000. No big deal, much like the end of the Aztec calendar.
  • Chris_Sav 125 Points
    privet01 said:

Probably will mirror the big event we had December 31, 1999 as we changed to January 1, 2000. No big deal, much like the end of the Aztec calendar.

The reason 1999/2000 was not a big deal was the preparation that went into it, months and months of testing date assignments and replacing older systems
  • privet01 215 Points
    True there was preparation for the y2k event. Just like there is preparation for this event too. Date problems exist programs, computers and other devices that will happen at various times through out the coming years and decades. Just like y2k and the half dozen or so that will happen in the next 50 years, designers and engineers of software and firmware were aware of the issue when they chose to use that date/time format and will have made allowances for it's handling.

Older devices that are no longer supported may finally have to be replaced, but most of those are probably just used for personal reasons. If all of my older Garmin's were to stop working correctly, it's no great loss as they only serve to be spare for a more recent spare.
  • Boyd 1974 Points
    privet01 said:

Older devices that are no longer supported may finally have to be replaced, but most of those are probably just used for personal reasons.

I hope you are right, but I wonder..... what kinds of industrial, agricultural, aviation, commerce, marine or military equipment have integrated GPS - and are they all up to date? I mean, there are still millions of computers running Windows XP! :)
  • DerekW 132 Points
    The Y2K event caught out some main frame systems that had been written in 1970s that would have date formats that assumed the application would only need 2 digit year numbers. ie the application would be long gone before 2000 or date calculations would never require a year number greater than 99. However these systems just kept running. Function to support the business would be improved but basic things like dates would not be considered until Y2K planning/panic and analysis took place.
  • Tim 1479 Points
    This thread is relevant:
    https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1058676834940776450

I know of at least one government agency that has lots of integrated GPS devices in remote locations that were found susceptible to pretty much the exact same bug. Long story short, even when the original manufacturer wrote a firmware fix they were a massive pain to update not only because of their remote location, but because the government typically doesn't give employees administrative access to their computer, which they discovered was required to run the firmware update.