This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Bad routes, wrong speed and no camera alerts

Over the past year I have been encountering some random problems. Let me give you some context. I have DriveAssist 51 LMT-D, bought in UK, awesome piece of kit...or it was an awesome piece of kit. Let me describe you the problems, and hopefully someone can help me with a solution:

1) Since Map update Europe 2018.30 for my satnav, Garmin now picks the worst, random and in no way logical routes. I had the Garmin for a year before this update and it worked like a workhorse, I loved the thing. Now...even after 2019.30 update...it is just as bad. I have attached 2 images to show an example (one of many) where Garmin would send me through a road which should not have been picked.
So on this route I would drive on the main road (with red line), it is a straight road, 30 mph. Previously Garmin would select this exact route and everyone would be happy. Since 2018.30 update Garmin is now trying to send me through a side road (shown in purple). If you look at the second image, for this to happen, I would need to cross 2 lanes, drive through a road which then comes back to the main road that I was already on driving straight, but to get back on I would now need to make sure that both directions are safe to get back into my initial lane. Considering I have Choose Fastest Route selected, this surely is not "Fastest Route". This example is just one of many, where the same problem happens, it doesn't happen with just these sneaky side roads that leave the main road and come back onto it but also other routes where Garmin would pick a slower road for example 10mph or 20mph running parallel to my usual routes which are 30mph.

This has been happening since Jan 2018, so a year. Settings have not changed from when I originally got the Sat Nav, I've always had it choose the Fastest Route, traffic has never been a problem. So not really sure what happened from 2017 version into 2018 of the map or the algorithm behind the logic.

2) Now regarding the speed on the roads, again the same problem from 2018.30 map update. Some of the roads that were previously marked as correct speed within Garmin (this speed limit is still the same to present date in real life), since the update Garmin now shows wrong speeds, for example a road which is 30mph, on Garmin it shows as 20 mph. I understand that this data is provided by 3rd party? However, not really sure what happened from 2017 version to 2018 for this meta data to get so wrong and messed up (considering it was correct). Maybe this is related to my problem at number 1?

3) Since 2019.30 update of the map, my UK camera alerts are now also not working. I saw another post about this on Garmin forums but no solution? I can see the Cameras available in the Proximity Alerts, it is ticked, however nothing happens, no alert, no camera notifications, all is gone.

Current Versions are:
Map Version - 2019.30
Software Version - 4.40

And these problems are present in this present time.

Note: I have reset my device multiple times, I have installed through Garmin Express and through the SatNav itself and the problems still persist.

If someone can shine some light, that would be awesome!

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    edited February 17
    I really don't know much about these issues. But the wrong speed limits may be causing it, sending you down the other road because it would be "faster". I can think of one example I experienced personally in the US, where it wanted me to exit an interstate highway and take a maze of congested local streets because a section of the highway had the wrong speed. That issue has been discussed here often in the past.
  • Boyd said:

I really don't know much about these issues. But the wrong speed limits may be causing it, sending you down the other road because it would be "faster". I can think of one example I experienced personally in the US, where it wanted me to exit an interstate highway and take a maze of congested local streets because a section of the highway had the wrong speed. That issue has been discussed here often in the past.

I agree with your theory, because this has only started happening since 2018.30 map update and all speed limits have went silly after that.

But these speed limits were correct before the update, so i wonder what could have went wrong.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    edited February 17
    I've not noticed similar issues with map updates. Can you identify where that location is you refer to and I'll check it on my device.

One thought, does your device have traffic trends? If so try turning it off.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Ok, found it. My device uses the main road so seems it's related to your device. Have you by any chance got more than one map selected?
  • I can see no anomalies in Map Creator both roads are marked as the same speed limit, both roads with the same name, the alternate is shown as one way presumably to prevent southbound traffic taking it as an alternative.
    Try shorter and see if the same answer comes up, I have had instances where of the motorway down a side street is shorter, but illogical.
    For that road to be seen as quicker I can only imagine that it is somehow factoring in traffic to identify the one way northbound is quicker.
  • sussamb said:

Ok, found it. My device uses the main road so seems it's related to your device. Have you by any chance got more than one map selected?

It was here - 51.365518, -0.117408.

What device did you use to test this? Was this in simulation mode?
  • I can see no anomalies in Map Creator both roads are marked as the same speed limit, both roads with the same name, the alternate is shown as one way presumably to prevent southbound traffic taking it as an alternative.
    Try shorter and see if the same answer comes up, I have had instances where of the motorway down a side street is shorter, but illogical.
    For that road to be seen as quicker I can only imagine that it is somehow factoring in traffic to identify the one way northbound is quicker.

sussamb said:

I've not noticed similar issues with map updates. Can you identify where that location is you refer to and I'll check it on my device.

One thought, does your device have traffic trends? If so try turning it off.

I've turned that off, but that made no difference :(
  • Kevin, I have just tried Shorter calculation and you are right, that has worked, it now picks the direct routes. So what does that mean? So if I pick "Fastest" which previously was also the shortest in most cases, now picks strange routes. However "Shortest, now picks the better route". Does Garmin really take into account potential traffic on that route, and picks the side roads instead?
  • sussamb 813 Points
    If you have your traffic set to reroute automatically then yes it could. To answer your earlier query I checked the route in simulation mode, which of course doesn't look at traffic details.
  • sussamb said:

If you have your traffic set to reroute automatically then yes it could. To answer your earlier query I checked the route in simulation mode, which of course doesn't look at traffic details.

Traffic is set to manual on mine. I did the simulated routes as well. So the fastest time picked that side side, shortest route didnt. And that didnt take traffic into account either, interesting.
  • Kevin_hutch 65 Points
    edited February 23
    Just had a similar problem on my nuvi 2797 where the shortest route was straight down the highway yet the fastest went round the block and came back on the next street, considerably slower, never seen it before. How did you include your picture, I can't find the option to include the screenshot.
  • Just had a similar problem on my nuvi 2797 where the shortest route was straight down the highway yet the fastest went round the block and came back on the next street, considerably slower, never seen it before. How did you include your picture, I can't find the option to include the screenshot.

Kev when you create the post, there are several buttons on the top of the text box, one is for image. I uploaded an image onto a different website like imgur, then you can paste the image link directly into the popup window once you click the image button. It will actually create a code around your link, once posted however, it will be an image. I hope that's what you meant :D
  • Good explanation, it as I thought but I don't have a site to post the image too so I can link it.
  • privet01 221 Points
    My drivesmart 61 lmts that I got around May of 2018 has this issue of taking me off the interstate, up an off ramp, stop at the light of a cross street then go right back onto the same interstate I just got off of. Typically this seems to be interstate loops around large cities such as Atlanta GA and the exit always seems to be on the inside of the loop which would result in the shortest distance. However my drivesmart is set to the fastest time.

I've also had it take me off four lane divided highways with 65 mph speeds and route me the last five to ten miles to a destination on the old and more direct road that formerly was that highway but now is 45 mph and many traffic lights or stop signs. Even though this is more direct, it is more time driving. Again, my device is set to fastest time.

Tried using the shortest distance setting for a while, but that resulted in routes were less than desirable for driving. I think it even told me several times that it could not find a route to a destination. The issue is not as severe with later updates, but it is not gone completely.

I've wondered how Garmin managed to let a problem get back in that they solved many years ago. Early nuvi's I used did this same thing but they got better. My drivesmart has gotten better about not doing this, but just the other day with the North America 2019.20 update it happened to me again. Up a ramp, stop at a light and back down to the same interstate. Again it was the inside of a loop.

But the one thing you mentioned that caught my attention is the speed alerts. I'm getting quite a bit of speed alerts for places where there is no speed reduction and likely never was in that locations past. I wonder if they play a role in the times I get routed strangely. It also makes me wonder if the map database is simply getting polluted by bad data. Or is there so much map data now that the devices processor can't process everything it should and Garmin's software is disregarding some stuff it shouldn't.
  • privet01 said:

My drivesmart 61 lmts that I got around May of 2018 has this issue of taking me off the interstate, up an off ramp, stop at the light of a cross street then go right back onto the same interstate I just got off of. Typically this seems to be interstate loops around large cities such as Atlanta GA and the exit always seems to be on the inside of the loop which would result in the shortest distance. However my drivesmart is set to the fastest time.

I've also had it take me off four lane divided highways with 65 mph speeds and route me the last five to ten miles to a destination on the old and more direct road that formerly was that highway but now is 45 mph and many traffic lights or stop signs. Even though this is more direct, it is more time driving. Again, my device is set to fastest time.

Tried using the shortest distance setting for a while, but that resulted in routes were less than desirable for driving. I think it even told me several times that it could not find a route to a destination. The issue is not as severe with later updates, but it is not gone completely.

I've wondered how Garmin managed to let a problem get back in that they solved many years ago. Early nuvi's I used did this same thing but they got better. My drivesmart has gotten better about not doing this, but just the other day with the North America 2019.20 update it happened to me again. Up a ramp, stop at a light and back down to the same interstate. Again it was the inside of a loop.

But the one thing you mentioned that caught my attention is the speed alerts. I'm getting quite a bit of speed alerts for places where there is no speed reduction and likely never was in that locations past. I wonder if they play a role in the times I get routed strangely. It also makes me wonder if the map database is simply getting polluted by bad data. Or is there so much map data now that the devices processor can't process everything it should and Garmin's software is disregarding some stuff it shouldn't.

So i am not the only one at least. Like I said, the satnav worked great until i got the 2018.30 update....after that it just all went downhill and hasnt been the same since. I might pop into a shop and try some of the display garmins that are on show and see whether they are doing the same..