This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

new garmin 65 and new garmin app for it

Does anyone know the difference between the Garmin smart link app and the Garmin drive app?

Comments

• Boyd 1980 Points
    edited February 19
    Have you seen this?

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/666925#overview

Connect for a Better Drive

Use this app with Garmin Speak™ devices for access to Amazon Alexa technology or use this app with select Garmin navigators to share phone content with your navigator

When paired with a compatible navigator, access real-time services such as live traffic, basic weather and live parking¹

photoLive traffic cameras (where available) let you look up live photos from more than 10,000 traffic cameras to see traffic and weather conditions

Send address from phone to Garmin navigator, then easily route to the desired location

Paired navigator displays smart notifications from your phone, including text messages, calendar reminders and app alerts

_________________________________________________________________________________

For comparison, here is the Smartphone Link app

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/111441

Connect for a Better Drive

Wirelessly pairs with select Garmin navigators to seamlessly share phone content with your navigator

Access free Garmin Live Services¹ such as live traffic, live parking² and basic weather information

Send address details from phone contacts to navigator, then easily route to the desired location

Paired navigator displays smart notifications from your phone, including text messages, calendar reminders and app alerts

Purchase premium Live Services in app, including photoLive traffic cameras and more
  • mike41 38 Points
    I have a Garmin 61 with the Smart Link app and a Garmin 65 with the drive App. The Smart Link has had some connection issues. The Drive app only connects to the device almost all of the shortcuts are on the GPS device. This can be a safety issue.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    I don't understand. What is the "safety issue"?
  • mike41 38 Points
    I use Garmin Smart Link and TomTom MyDrive apps to check the weather, traffic, and cameras to plan the trip from the safety of my home or office. Then I just send the trip to the navigator. Taking a Garmin out of the vehicle is not convenient with the type of mount design.

The Garmin Drive app only allows one feature called where to. All the other features need the device to view. Just as and Fyi I acontacted Garmin Siupport about this and their answer was if I do not like the app do not use it.
  • mike41 38 Points
    Update after using the Garmin model 65 with traffic. The device has some subtle differences from model 61. Things like a nice notification location for curves and schools etc. Fonts for speed etc are larger. These are nice improvements. I was on an Interstate near Washington DC. Traffic was down to one lane. The traffic delays were right on in notifications. I have yet to see a 3 D building. The
    The device improvements overall make this a nice device.

The Garmin Drive smartphone app is totally a waste. It even gives an incorrect notification when connecting to a smartphone. Does anyone know how to hack the Garmin Smart Link app to access the Model 65 device? This would make the Garmin 65 a 5-star rating.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    IMO, the only "improvement" to the notifications for curves and schools, etc. would be the ability to completely turn them off. ;) Bigger fonts would only annoy me more. And it would be nice if they had a different color scheme when the device is set for night mode. Those bright orange alerts are very distracting in a dark car.
  • mike41 38 Points
    Boyd
    The notifications now can be turned off individually or all. I agree with you the previous model's notifications on the turn banner was annoying. The new model notifications are small and in the bottom left corner of the screen.

You are very knowledgeable about these devices. Is there a way to hack the apps so Garmin Smart link app can be used on the Garmin 65 device. The Garmin Drive app that is paired to the new device is worthless.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    edited April 4
    Oh, that is an improvement. On the 61, you can turn alerts off in the menu, but it only turns off the sound and not the visible alerts. I'd say there is zero chance of making the 65 work with an app it wasn't designed for. I learned a long time ago to buy Garmin products for what they are and not what I wished they were. >:)

Not interested in the DriveSmart 65 myself. I am really happy with my DriveTrack 71. :x

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/31309/the-drivetrack-71-garmin-s-coolest-model-you-ve-never-heard-of

• Boyd 1980 Points
    edited April 4
    BTW, does the DriveSmart 65 have the smaller POI/Favorite icons like the DriveTrack 71? See this post for an example: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/209164/#Comment_209164

IMO, the smaller icons are a big improvement over the DriveSmart 61 (and other automotive devices from the past 5 or 6 years).
  • MustangGT 12 Points
    I tried the 65 for a few days, I believe the changes are mostly positive compared to the 61 I have. I found the map tools better on the 61. I was really disappointed with the 3D terrain and 3D buildings for Ottawa, Ontario. I think I found six 3D buildings, all downtown where I don’t drive.