This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

How do I tell if my 64s is calibrated?

Comments

• Boyd 1966 Points
    edited February 20
    What do you want to "calibrate"? There is no need to calibrate a GPS receiver, it gets all of its data directly from the satellites. If you have a new device, or if you have not used it for awhile, it may be slow to acquire satellites however. If you are having this kind of problem, place your GPS outside in a location with a good view of the sky. Then just let it sit in the same place for awhile - probably 15 minutes would be enough.

Your 64s has a triaxial compass however, and you can calibrate it to improve results. Instructions are here:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/gpsmap64/EN-US/GUID-DC8AEBEC-D4E8-46D2-B901-9647EBE9AC14.html

But note that the compass will not affect the accuracy of your position on the map, the compass is only used to determine which direction you are facing.
  • i_am_jim 81 Points
    edited February 20
    Sorry, the question was how do I tell if the compass is calibrated.

I know how to calibrate it but it doesn't behave like it's calibrated.
  • privet01 205 Points
    edited February 23
    How does it behave? Even a calibrated compass can be off from the magnetic variation for your area. I've never needed to use the compass on my GPS for more than a general idea what direction is north. Even with my big screen marine chart plotters, I'd be leery to use the gps magnetic compass for serious dead reckoning or orienteering by map through the woods.

But that might be just because I never wanted to try it since I either have the boats magnetic compass or a military style hand compass with me that I was using to navigate both sea and land well before they launched the first GPS satellite.

Did the link provided by Boyd get you calibrated?