This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Sorting Imported Trips on a DriveSmart 51

Is there a way to sort the imported trips in the trip planner?
I've figured out how to sort the ones I add (by name and time). Sure wish they had kept the date capability as the 3597 has. We have several trips planned and I'd like to keep them all on the device versus connecting to BaseCamp every time I want to change trips.

Comments

• sussamb 791 Points
    You can keep them all on the device, up to the limit which I think is either 100 or 200 trips. Unfortunately as far as I know there is no way to sort them unless you assign them times, it is a shame you can no longer add dates as well as times.
  • Kevin_hutch 58 Points
    edited March 4
    Minor technicallity, routes are the route you plan to travel, trips are a record of where you have been stored in gpx format in the "current" file on your GPS.
    Lack of sorting of routes is significant retrograde change from the old nuvi units. I have over 70 routes in our 2797 and 2597 units
    The 2595 units had a smaller number of stored routes but still sorted alphabetically, and was most disappointed with the replacement drive 50 and 51 having no way of sorting routes after we upgraded to Drive 50 and 51 finding we had lost one of our major features.
  • Boyd 1966 Points

Minor technicallity, routes are the route you plan to travel, trips are a record of where you have been stored in gpx format in the "current" file on your GPS.

I disagree. Garmin's automotive devices no longer use "routes". That terminology was abandoned many years ago when Garmin introduced the "trip planner". But this all gets very confusing, because handheld GPS units still use "routes". And handhelds also record "track logs" but automotive devices call these "trip logs".
  • park3850 31 Points
    sussamb said:

You can keep them all on the device, up to the limit which I think is either 100 or 200 trips. Unfortunately as far as I know there is no way to sort them unless you assign them times, it is a shame you can no longer add dates as well as times.

I had a 100 trips but I had to cut most of them (after copying to BaseCamp) as it was too hard to find the one I was looking for. NO SORTING!
    After I trimmed it to 23 trips it became doable.
    Sure long for a date option. Maybe Garmin will add it.

• Kevin_hutch 58 Points
    edited March 5
    Boyd said:

I disagree. Garmin's automotive devices no longer use "routes". That terminology was abandoned many years ago when Garmin introduced the "trip planner". But this all gets very confusing, because handheld GPS units still use "routes". And handhelds also record "track logs" but automotive devices call these "trip logs".
    I consider the trip I plan is going to follow a route that I plan and then log the trip file details the actual trip I travelled.
    When I select a from "Trip Planner" application "past trips", or "Unscheduled Trips" in my 2797 it comes up with a screen that says "calculating route" so I have always considered the route saved was the planned route and the trip log was the actual route travelled. A planned trip uses the planned route and the trip logs the actual track taken, especially significant in marine and land search applications.
    A trip has a planned route and an actual track, so call it what you will to identify the different files it is significant not to consider both as the same name.
  • Kevin_hutch 58 Points
    edited March 5
    Further to the Route vs Trip vs Track and Route sorting order.
    The "current" file from my Garmin 2797, 2697 , 2595, Drive 60, Drive 61 lists
    1.wpts: 69 - I see are waypoints. (I have 69 on all my GPS units)
    2. rte 1: Mky -Burton Mine (route name) etc I see are planned routes with only the waypoints used. These are in Alphabetical order, including in the Drive 60/61, it is only the display that is not. (BTW all 71 routes are stored and the files are the same on each GPS but only the first 30 displayed alphabetically on the 2595)
    3. trk 0: Active log: 2019-02-21 10:16 - I see are the actual tracks with a higher density of shaping points and filed as date and time. These are in date/time order.

An easy way to view this is via "PoiViewer 10" where Routes/Trips and Tracks can be displayed on a map.
    BTW just realised I have 60/61 not 50/51 units.
  • park3850 31 Points
    The imported trips on my DriveSmart 51-S are not sorted. I only have 24 in my Trip Planner. Not a problem with the ones I build on the device but it is not as easy as the BaseCamp method. I’ve passed my concerns to Garmin Support. He said he would pass it on. Join the cause and maybe they can update the program. Or maybe that is wishful thinking.
  • Kevin_hutch 58 Points
    edited March 7
    Sorry the 60 & 61are not sorted alphabetically on display either and I too find that annoying, my point was that within the "Current.gpx" file in the GPS they are, so there must be some logic within the GPS that sorts them non alphabetically when importing from the "Current" file.
    If we could figure that out we may be able to influence it in the "current" import file data.
    My guess is somehow a "build order" is within the file because they seem to be in the order they were created. Someone with a better understanding of GPX file structure may be able to identify the flag.
  • Boyd 1966 Points
    edited March 8
    Someone will have to correct me if I'm wrong here (and I could be, because "trips" and "routes" don't interest me much). But you keeping mentioning Current.gpx and I don't think that has anything to do with "trips". Trip files are stored in the ~\.System\Trips directory on the device and have a .trip file extension. These are not the same as "routes". If you create a "route" in Basecamp, that is sent to the device in a file named Temp.gpx. But when the device starts up, the "route" is extracted and converted to a .trip file.

Now, looking on one of my devices, there are three trips with the following file names

779204176.trip
    799430534.trip
    920951562.trip

Now, obviously, those file names have nothing to do with the names I assigned to the "trips". But I wonder, is this the order in which they are being displayed on the device? If so, then you could control the sort order by changing those numbers. The data in these files is binary, but it contains text with street names.
  • Kevin_hutch 58 Points
    The terminology is simple; when planning a TRIP a ROUTE showing at least two waypoints is created (start and end) in a trip or route planner.
    These in combination with the map details showing the roads and using the calculation mode (fastest, shortest etc) and avoidances (no unpaved roads, no toll roads etc) establishes the "ACTIVE ROUTE" when the trip is concluded there will be a TRACK that shows in detail via shaping points the actual passage followed even if unmarked roads are used.
    These Routes and Tracks end up back in the "current.gpx" file and can be transferred to a PC for duplication or analysis. Any unmarked road track can be imported into Here Map Creator to mark up a new road for a future update.

It is obvious that one answer does not apply to all Garmin GPS units let alone basecamp. In the models I have/support 2797, 2597, 2595, Drivee 60, Drive 61 there is a sub directory of the "GPX" directory/folder containing a file called current.gpx, it could have any name, but more than one gpx file is merged on import. This file/s is/are imported on startup to establish the "Favourites (or saved) POIs, the Routes labeled rte:xxxxx and the Track files labeled trk:date:time. In that gpx file the routes are sorted alphabetically and the tracks are numbered in date/time order.

When imported to the 2595, 2597, 2797 they are listed in alphabetic order albeit the 2595 only shows the first 30. When the same file is imported to the drive 60/61 the order they are listed seems to be illogical and there in lies to OPs question. I think they are in order of creation but have not been able to confirm that yet, there must be some flag in the gpx file to set the sort order.