This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Add other language Garmin GPSMAP 530 ?

Hello,
Is it possible to add a different language? Have now Englisch, French and Spanish. Need Duch language to add. Have updatet to latest (5.60) Still only 3 choices
It is a American gps.
Thanks!

Comments

• privet01 215 Points
    edited March 5
    Hmm.... I'm not anywhere near my chart-plotters at the moment, but I'd swear I've noticed more than just three language options. If you are in the USA, call Garmin support 888-442-7646. If the phone queue is too long for you then leave your number when asked and they will call you back about the time your turn in the queue should have come up. At least that's my experience with a least two recent calls to them.

However if you are outside the US, then I see a lot of people posting that makes it seem Garmin's support outside the US isn't as good. But that still needs to be taken with the knowledge that those that have a negative experience are more inclined to go to the internet and rant.

these links probably won't help you directly but they might give you some thoughts...

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=4YZUrQXYM63yPGZv63Px27

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?productID=8058&searchQuery=language&tab=topics
  • Pluto02 0 Points
    privet01 said:

Hmm.... I'm not anywhere near my chart-plotters at the moment, but I'd swear I've noticed more than just three language options. If you are in the USA, call Garmin support 888-442-7646. If the phone queue is too long for you then leave your number when asked and they will call you back about the time your turn in the queue should have come up. At least that's my experience with a least two recent calls to them.

However if you are outside the US, then I see a lot of people posting that makes it seem Garmin's support outside the US isn't as good. But that still needs to be taken with the knowledge that those that have a negative experience are more inclined to go to the internet and rant.

these links probably won't help you directly but they might give you some thoughts...

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=4YZUrQXYM63yPGZv63Px27

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?productID=8058&searchQuery=language&tab=topics

Thanks for your answer...have mailed the US Garmin. Perhaps they know more.
    I am thinking now: perhaps Garmin prevents using US plotters in a EU country by showing only these 3 languages as soon as gps signal comes from EU...
    Or am now too suspicious?

• privet01 215 Points
    Pluto02 said:

I am thinking now: perhaps Garmin prevents using US plotters in a EU country by showing only these 3 languages as soon as gps signal comes from EU...
    Or am now too suspicious?

Maybe a little too suspicious. Maybe not!

From what I've see posted on various forums, Garmin Support is divided up by different regions and one region won't answer or help with issues in another region. Or maybe it's based on where the device is from, which might be good for you as I think you said it was a US model.

Good luck with the email support though, I gave up on it a long time ago as it's too slow. You spend the first three or four emails going back and forth with pat answers telling you to do things like update it, reset it and such even though your first email tells them you already did those things. I've also had a few support inquiries that went unanswered. So the phone always works best for me. Most call centers, Garmin Support included require the agent to stay on the line until you let them go. So I get a resolution much quicker.
  • Pluto02 0 Points
    Got mail from Garmin:

Thank you for choosing Garmin, I'm happy to assist you today. Unfortunately as of right now, the device doesn't support Dutch as a preset language. Any additional languages would have been included in a software update. You're up to date on the most current version, which means we haven't added the support for Dutch. At this time, we don't have the ability to add in a language either. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

How strange...