This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

How to reinstall Garmin

I went to update my Garmin Nuvi 58 and it said the memory was full so I needed to insert an SD card. I already had one in but it was not recognised so I tried two more and same thing happened.
So I contacted Garmin and after almost 2 days they replied and told me to delete tons of stuff, and this would prompt the device to recognise the SD card. I did as they said, and it didn't work.
Then they said send some log files off, so I did and am again waiting patiently for the time they may get round to replying to me.
In the meantime everything is now awful on the satnav. The colours are different, the voice is different, the marker is different. And still I can't update my maps.
It's only 2 years old, so it's not like it's obsolete.
So, does anyone know if it is possible to reinstall the satnav back to what it was? Or better still get the SD card working?

Comments

• t923347 432 Points
    Did Garmin have you do a "reset" of the Nuvi?. If so this could account for the change of colors, voices, marker, etc. All of those things can be set using the various menu items available under "Settings".

Have you checked to insure that the SD cards you have attempted to use are formatted Fat or Fat32. Often these are default settings but some cards need to be reformatted to either Fat or Fat32.
  • GarFin 31 Points
    No Garmin just told me delete all sorts of folders, but it didn't work.
    I checked the SD card it's fat32. It works fine in my camera and dashcam too.
  • sussamb 800 Points
    edited March 14
    How much free space is on your device? If you use a Mac rather than a PC ensure you empty the trash on the device first.

You also should do a master reset.
  • GarFin 31 Points
    edited March 14
    There's 1.75 gig free on it. I want to do a master reset but don't know how.
  • GarFin 31 Points
    I feel stupid now, but thank you :)