This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

New Garmin user has question about reading map on Etrex 20x

I recently purchased a Garmin Etrex 20x. The main reason for the purchase is to be able to geotag my landscape photos. I found that cell phone apps were insufficient for this purpose. When I discovered it will do a lot more, I purchased a Garmin 4k topo map of four western states. It works great in BaseCamp but I am having a problem figuring out how to use it in the Etrex 20x. I want to be able to for instance go to an other state and locate places to view like Bryce Canyon in Utah, but I seem to be stuck at my home in Colorado Springs no matter what I do when I am using the Etrex 20x standalone. I can do this in BaseCanp with no problem, but I am curious how to do it on the Etrex unit itself. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks
Jim Lawrence

Comments

• Boyd 1980 Points
    edited March 21
    I think you purchased a 24k map, not a 4k map. ;) This should do what you want

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=l2oYYIA2cL6gRupIi2uBP7

• Duh, sorry for the typo. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
  • This sorta worked, but it doesn't go to the new location automatically. Do I have to use the thumbstick to navigate there which would take forever. I am missing something obvious here.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    edited March 21
    When you set the device for "demo mode", it turns off the GPS receiver. You can then select any location on the map and it will behave like you're really there. You should be able to use any method to select the desired location, such as zooming way out and using the thumbstick. It shouldn't take too long if you zoom out far enough.

If this is something you plan to do often, create a waypoint at the desired location, and you should then be able to just go to the waypoint in the future.
  • This suggestion might just work. Interesting that my son suggested using waypoints. I haven't looked at them as yet, but I will now.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    You could actually create the waypoints in Basecamp, where it is easier to move around the map.

But your gps uses the 25-year-old technology of thumbsticks and 320x240 screens, so yes, that is awkward, as opposed to a high resolution touchscreen. The eTrex was not a bad choice for your original purpose of geotagging photos. But now that you want to use it differently, you are going to have to settle for some compromises. :)
  • I agree with your last post, especially about my original purpose in buying the Etrex. As a matter of fact, I really decided earlier that it is better to use BaseCamp to locate areas. I have a ten inch laptop originally purchased for Astronomy use, but now mainly for photography. It has a removable screen that turns it into a tablet and I have loaded it with my maps so I can use it for navigating in the car instead of the Etrex, for the reason you said (awkward to use the Etrex). It has worked out well. Thanks for all the suggestions.