This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

DriveSmart 61 software version 6.00

Drivesmart 61 version 6.0 is available.

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=10284

Changes made from version 4.50 to 6.00:

Added support for the new Garmin BC 40 Wireless Backup Camera.
Enabled Galileo satellite support.
Improved routing calculations.
Improved the reliability of connections to Bluetooth devices.
Fixed an issue that caused some spoken words to be mispronounced.
Fixed an issue that could cause incorrect route calculations when using maps of Southeast Asia.
Improved software stability.

Comments

• looks like the same software is available for the DriveAssist 51. I wonder what "Enabled Galileo satellite support" is about?
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    https://www.gsa.europa.eu/european-gnss/galileo/galileo-european-global-satellite-based-navigation-system

"Galileo is Europe’s Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS), providing improved positioning and timing information with significant positive implications for many European services and users."
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    edited March 28
    Im wondering if the software isnt the same between the 61 and 51 minus the dashcam? The update is exactly the same.

I am also wondering what kind of improvement they did for route calculations....
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    How can one determine if a given nuvi model (and phone, too) can use the Galileo system?
  • alanb 539 Points
    No nuvi models would use Galileo … they are too old.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    edited March 28
    Garmin doesn't think anyone is interested in that kind of detail anymore. Look at the specs page for the DriveSmart 65 for example

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/612620/pn/010-02038-02#specs

or look at page 18 of the manual here

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/DriveSmart_55-65_OM_EN.pdf

No mention of the type of GPS receiver, they don't tell you how much internal flash storage it has, no mention of the type of processor or amount of RAM either. Compare that to the specs on page 73 of the StreetPilot 2620 manual (which was my first automotive device, back around 2004)

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/439_OwnersManual.pdf

Also note that the StreetPilot manual is 84 pages and the DriveSmart 65 is 18 pages. ;)

There was a time when people were actually interested in dedicated GPS devices and this kind of thing was discussed in the forums. Nobody really cares anymore, so why should Garmin waste the effort of properly documenting their products? They are more interested in other product categories today.... like their most recent acquisition, a company that makes exercise bikes. ;)

That being said.... I'm glad to see forum members asking this kind of question again - so, thanks for that. :) One way you might tell (if you have the actual device in your hands) is to go to the satellite page. There should be extra signal bars for GLONASS and GALILEO if it is receiving those signals.

• Ramaprem 112 Points
    edited March 28
    So if a phone gives GPS and GLONASS capabilities in its specs, it isn't compatible with GALILEO?
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    edited March 28
    Google can answer that ;)

www.macrumors.com/2017/09/26/iphone-8-iphone-x-galileo-satellite-support/

"The iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and upcoming iPhone X include support for Galileo, Europe's Global Satellite Navigation System".

You would need some kind of app to show what satellites are available. It's been awhile since I checked, but this used to be annoying, because I couldn't find any way to get that info on an iOS device. Maybe that has changed? I touched on this a few years ago in my post about using the Garmin GLO (GLONASS receiver) on my iPhone 6s+

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/30108/what-is-gps-accuracy-testing-the-garmin-glo-in-the-forest

And this brings me to something I don't like about the GLO and iOS. The screenshot above comes from the free Bluetooth GPS Android app running on my Galaxy Tab. Android doesn't natively support external gps, but this program is part of a simple hack to read data from the GLO and make it available to Android apps. iOS natively supports external gps devices, which sounds good on the surface, but the implementation is poor IMO. iOS is supposed to automatically use whatever gps data is more accurate, but there's no way to know if it's actually using the GLO. You can look at the Bluetooth menu and see if the GLO is paired, but that's all. iOS reports an accuracy number in meters, but never shows anything more accurate than 5 meters.

• Boyd 1980 Points
    Looks like you changed your post above, so now my response to your original question doesn't make a lot of sense. ;)

Maybe I'm missing something? But I think you need a device that says it is Galileo-compatible if you want to use that system. GLONASS is something different, it is a Russian system and Galileo is from the EU.

BTW, here's some interesting trivia. Since 2010 there's been a popular GPS app called Galileo for iOS and Android. The EU recently claimed trademark infringement and forced them to change the name of the app (it's now called "Guru"). Seems really petty to me...
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    Sorry; yes, I did delete an original response.
    You're not missing anything. If my phone's specs make no mention of GALILEO, then it wouldn't be GALILEO compatible.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    With a Garmin automotive device (which is the actual subject of this thread), I'm not sure that GLONASS or Galileo compatibility is worth much - unless you frequently have problems acquiring or maintaining a satellite signal. These devices have a feature commonly called "road lock" which snaps your vehicle position to the nearest road.

I have been using high resolution aerial imagery on my DriveTrack 71 and it's interesting to see what happens when I disable the City Navigator map. My vehicle position is often displayed 4 or 5 meters off the road, due to error. If I enable City Navigator, the vehicle immediately snaps to the road.
  • MustangGT 12 Points
    I wonder why the version number went from 4.50 to 6.00, and skipped 5 altogether?
  • MustangGT 12 Points
    The Drivesmart 61 shows several Galileo satellites in Ottawa, Canada.
  • Software 6.00 bricked my drive assist 51. Multiple hard resets, keeps crashing.
  • MustangGT 12 Points
    My Drivesmart 61 has crashed and rebooted several times since I upgraded to 6.0. It never did that before.
  • Kevin_hutch 64 Points
    Boyd said:

With a Garmin automotive device (which is the actual subject of this thread), I'm not sure that GLONASS or Galileo compatibility is worth much - unless you frequently have problems acquiring or maintaining a satellite signal. These devices have a feature commonly called "road lock" which snaps your vehicle position to the nearest road.

I have been using high resolution aerial imagery on my DriveTrack 71 and it's interesting to see what happens when I disable the City Navigator map. My vehicle position is often displayed 4 or 5 meters off the road, due to error. If I enable City Navigator, the vehicle immediately snaps to the road.

Interesting you note on road lock, I recently had a situation that my track ran off the main road I was on, parallel about 10 metres for several kilometres. Since then it has followed the same main road and I wondered just how far the GPS location could be out before the road lock failed. I have had several road realignments where the new alignment over a new bridge the track followed the old road alignment as well. The track plot points clearly are time, not distance related as it varies with speed.
  • t923347 426 Points
    I had a similar experience this week on US 93 were it merges with I-15 north of Las Vegas . I had driven southbound on this route a couple of weeks ago and was happy to see that the road had been widened to 4 lane for a number of miles, north of the I-15 interchange. Driving southbount, my DriveSmart 61 showed my vehicle on the highway although the alignment of the road had changed a fair amount from the old layout. Driving northbound this week the GPS showed my vehicle off of the actual highway for the whole length of the newly widened section. As soon as I had passed back into the old 2 lane section, my vehicle immediately snapped to the road. I can only assume that the northbound portion of the highway must have had a much more serious alignment change than the southbound side.

I should also mention that we have driven about 3400 miles since installing Software version 6.0 and the device has been rock solid. No crashes , lockups, or reboots at all.
  • MustangGT 12 Points
    Not exactly sure what conditions caused my 61 to crash and reboot. But I think it happened when I had a route in progress, I then attempted to change the route by pressing the Map Tools icon, and change route, that’s when I think rebooted. This may have happened several times, when doing those steps. But most of the time it works. In all cases, the Smart Link app was connected with the GPS, not sure if that had anything to do with it.
    It never happened on a normal route.