This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Powering backup camera

Hi,
I have a Garmin Drivesmart 61 GPS and I would like to link one of their backup cameras, the BC 40, to it. What I don't want to do is power the camera with batteries as they suggest. Has anyone come up with a way to power one of these cameras with the car itself?

I should explain that the reason I don't want to use batteries is firstly the expense and secondly, the day the batteries fail to operate the camera is the day I'd hit something when reversing the car.

If nobody has a solution to the power issue is there another camera available that would work with the Drivesmart 61?

Thanks

Comments

• t923347 426 Points
    edited May 21
    How about the BC™ 30 Wireless Backup Camera? See:
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-12242-10
  • mtek 0 Points
    I didn't realize that the BC 30 worked like that. Is the camera in the BC 40 better?
  • t923347 426 Points
    No idea. I have a BC40 but never used a BC30, because I didn't want to fool around with hooking it up. I find the BC40 gives me all I want in a backup camera and the picture is really good on my DriveSmart 61.

I can't speak about battery life on the BC40 as I installed it on a vehicle that is only used in the fall, winter and early spring. I used the camera for a month or so using the original 2 batteries and then put the vehicle in summer storage.
  • mtek 0 Points
    Thanks for the response.
  • AndreyT 105 Points
    edited May 21
    Powering BC 40 from an external power supply (instead of batteries) should not present any problem: just run a wire. But the fact that it cannot make the main unit to switch into camera mode automatically is a major problem.

According to the specs listed on the Garmin web site, BC 40 should provide a much better resolution than BC 30. However, the "manual" behavior of BC 40 is completely unacceptable for me. I want the camera to activate automatically when I switch into reverse. It appears that it is impossible with BC 40.

• t923347 426 Points
    edited May 21
    AndreyT said:

However, the "manual" behavior of BC 40 is completely unacceptable for me. I want the camera to activate automatically when I switch into reverse. It appears that it is impossible with BC 40.

Not sure this is really a huge issue. Since the OP's GPS supports voice commands all that's needed is to speak "Show Video" just as you put the vehicle in reverse and the camera will come on as "automatically" as it needs it to. As an alternative you can tap the icon on the GPS screen to turn the camera on as needed.
  • mtek 0 Points
    Thanks for all the input folks. I think I'll got with a BC 30.