This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

GPSMAP 66st

I am a longtime Garmin customer and recently purchased the 66st. I am having trouble saving routes. I get the error message, "Only 50 points can be used for On Road navigation." I never had this problem with previous models. My profile is: Hiking. I have tried transferring GPX files with different apps including BASECAMP, Caltopo and Gaia. The problem persists.

Comments

• sussamb 798 Points
    Thats pretty much standard for Garmin handhelds so unsure why you've not seen that message before. For hiking I always run with off road or direct activity selected, as you can then have up to 250 points in a route
  • Fitz 30 Points
    I don’t see where you make that selection on the 66st. I never had the problem with other Garmin.
  • sussamb 798 Points
    edited May 29
    As your 66 uses profiles there should be one named Direct. If not create a new one and set routing within it to Off road, Direct or whatever the 66 calls it.

I can't be specific as I don't have a 66.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
  • truckinguy 115 Points
    according the gpsrchive the 66 should do 250 points per route. the profile he has is hiking maybe that's the issue. i've personally never had 50 points in a route even on my many forced routing cross country trips
  • sussamb 798 Points
    It's 250 points per route if in direct mode. If you select a routing profile, like hiking, it's only 50. It's been like this for Garmin handhelds for a while now.
  • Fitz 30 Points
    It seems the excess number of waypoints on routes I create is related to the way that waypoints are recorded on sites like CalPro. The gpx file shows many more waypoints on a route I create than the specific number of named waypoints that I create.
    I still can’t see the menu option on the 66st to create a Direct profile.

Thanks for everyone’s comments.
  • sussamb 798 Points
    edited May 31
    If you can't the other option is to select one you would never use and change routing to Off road in that profile. See Setup menu, routing settings in the manual. Setup menu, profiles also allows you to delete or create profiles. You may find it helpful to read through the manual :)