This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

New GPSMap 66i includes inReach satellite technology

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/623975

Large sunlight-readable color display for easy viewing

Trigger an interactive SOS to the GEOS 24/7 search and rescue monitoring center; two-way messaging via the 100% global Iridium® satellite network (satellite subscription required)

Preloaded Garmin TOPO mapping with direct-to-device BirdsEye Satellite Imagery downloads (no annual subscription); includes multiple Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) support and navigation sensors

Cellular connectivity lets you access Active Weather forecasts and Geocaching Live

Compatible with the Garmin Explore™ website and app to help you manage waypoints, routes, activities and collections, use tracks and review trip data from the field

Internal, rechargeable lithium battery provides up to 35 hours of battery life in 10-minute tracking mode; 200 hours in
Expedition mode with 30-minute tracking intervals

Comments

• Zemartelo 207 Points
    600 bucks!! They continue to smoke the strong stuff at Garmin headquarters.
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    Oh wow, it comes with an internal battery.... yickes, I would not want to on a hiking trip for several days with just that one GPS.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    edited June 6
    I just assumed this was the same as the Montana and other high end handhelds. They include a rechargeable battery pack, but you can also use AA batteries. But apparently you're right, because the Montana specs say:

"rechargeable lithium-ion (included) or 3 AA batteries (not included); NiMH or Lithium recommended"

and the 66i specs say:

"rechargeable, internal lithium-ion"

Weird that they would do this. The ability to carry a spare set of batteries for emergency has always been an important feature of Garmin handhelds - and a reason commonly cited for choosing a Garmin handheld over a cell phone. The cousin of this device, the GPSMap66s doesn't include a battery at all. Its specs say:

"2 AA batteries (not included); NiMH or Lithium recommended"

• Zemartelo 207 Points
    I hope its just a typo too. I cant see anyone wanting to buy a handheld GPS without being able to repalce the batteries.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    I'll bet this is something they needed to do in order to include the inReach satellite receiver in the same size case...
  • alanb 539 Points
    edited June 6
    If that is the case, it is a compromise that will bite them in the a$$ in sales. It is a specialty product to begin with and at its price only has appeal to a very small market. Not having replaceable batteries will not help it sell. "200 hours in 30 minute expedition mode" is about 8 days … probably enough for a canoe trip in the boundary waters with above freezing temps … but an expedition up Mt. Everest, or in the Arctic? In those conditions the batteries would probably not last 200 hours.
  • truckinguy 115 Points
    edited June 13
    I have a ResQLink and it has a built in battery. And needs to be replaced every 5 yrs. They limit tests for function by users to keep the advertised broadcast hours.
    I assume Garmin built in the Lithium to get the 35 hrs. And being a rescue device this may be mandatory by gov or accepted industry standards.
    No problem to take a charge pack for those on longer expeditions or any of the other means everyone uses now while on top of the world.
    I myself opted for the resqlink cause it will do a better and more reliable job of reaching the authorities then Inreach or this 66I when I need a rescue. Who cares about texting that makes this unit inferior for rescues do to it's frequencies used to achieve that.
    I mean if you can shell out the money and buying this for a someday maybe rescue you don't want to mess around with it like just any GPS receiver. You must have some brains and 1. know it's battery status before and during a adventure 2. take a charging system of some type in case or a planned lengthy adventure.
    Probably most here will not buy this not cause of the price cause they don't need one that bad. I have the Resqlink + not cause it's $289 and no contracts but will do the job much better then the 2.6 frequency 66i is on. If it was reverse and the 66i was better at getting the signal out in any condition I would shell out $600 gladly. My life and the wifes is worth a few bucks more than that. And yes we are often in places we don't see anyone any time or very small chances. They're nice to have just in a car as one could run off into a deep ravine,etc. The trick is being able to have it near by to flip the switch on. Resqlink is small so it carry's on a belt or chest pocket with ease.