This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

How to get POI's from Nuvi 58 to Camper 770

So I bought this new Camper 770 LMT-D and it's fabulous except for one thing. All the POI's I saved onto the old Nuvi58 will not come off. I spent the entire morning with their support staff giving ideas as to how to do it and nothing works.
I got the favourites off no problem, but the hundreds of POI's I put on when I first got it simply won't come off and go onto the new device. In the Nuvi58 they are listed as gpi files instead of gpx.
Does anyone have a clue how I can access these POI's in their correct folders so I can transfer them to the Camper770?

Comments

• alanb 539 Points
    Did you try copying the .gpi file from the 58 directly into the POI folder on the 770? I don't have either of your two models, but that process has worked with other Garmin models. Otherwise, if you still have the original .GPX and .CSV source files on your computer, you can just run POI Loader against that folder.
  • GarFin 31 Points
    I tried that yes and it doesn't work. I don't have the source files anymore, but there's 2 years of POI's added since then anyway.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Having copied the POI (.gpi) files across ensure you do a full shutdown and restart of your Camper, the POIs should then show.
  • GarFin 31 Points
    Nope, not a thing there.
  • OldGeezer 44 Points
    Here's a work around you might want to try. I don't have either of your GPSs so its a guess.
    Copy your custom POI (.gpi) file(s) from the Nuvi58 to your computer. Install a (free) conversion program like POItoGPX on your computer. Run the program to convert your custom POI file(s) on your computer to a GPX file on your computer. If the conversion process corrupts the POI file on your computer - don't worry, the original on the Nuvi58 is untouched. Then run Garmin POI Loader to install the new GPX file(s) to your Camper 770 LMT-D.
    Worse case you lose a few minutes for a file. Best case, it works. It might not recreate your folder structure within a specific POI file, but it may at least save the data.
    To check the integrity of the data you can open the GPX file in Garmin MapSource (also free) and spot check select POI locations to see if they are shown on the map at their correct locations. If the custom POIs show correctly on your computer with MapSource but not on the Camper 770 LMT-D the problem might be related to the number of POIs. Did you try adding a microSD card?
    You mentioned 2 years of POIs added since using the source files with the original hundreds of POIs. Were you able to recover any of those more recent custom POIs? Is it possible the original custom POIs were overwritten when installing the newer ones?
    Hope this helps, or at least gives you some new ideas of what to try.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    edited July 20
    GarFin said:

Nope, not a thing there.

Well that's weird, your Camper should read .gpi files just fine. Is it one .gpi file or a number? If more than one try doing them one at a time, doing a full restart of your Camper each time. There may be a corrupt .gpi file somewhere that is screwing things up or there may be a limit in POIs that you're hitting by transferring the lot.

Incidentally are you sure they're not there? They may just be viewed differently on your Camper compared to your Nuvi? On my Drive they are at Where to, Categories, (scroll down), Custom POIs
  • GarFin 31 Points
    OldGeezer said:

Here's a work around you might want to try. I don't have either of your GPSs so its a guess.
    Copy your custom POI (.gpi) file(s) from the Nuvi58 to your computer. Install a (free) conversion program like POItoGPX on your computer. Run the program to convert your custom POI file(s) on your computer to a GPX file on your computer. If the conversion process corrupts the POI file on your computer - don't worry, the original on the Nuvi58 is untouched. Then run Garmin POI Loader to install the new GPX file(s) to your Camper 770 LMT-D.
    Worse case you lose a few minutes for a file. Best case, it works. It might not recreate your folder structure within a specific POI file, but it may at least save the data.
    To check the integrity of the data you can open the GPX file in Garmin MapSource (also free) and spot check select POI locations to see if they are shown on the map at their correct locations. If the custom POIs show correctly on your computer with MapSource but not on the Camper 770 LMT-D the problem might be related to the number of POIs. Did you try adding a microSD card?
    You mentioned 2 years of POIs added since using the source files with the original hundreds of POIs. Were you able to recover any of those more recent custom POIs? Is it possible the original custom POIs were overwritten when installing the newer ones?
    Hope this helps, or at least gives you some new ideas of what to try.

I'll give some of these ideas a bash tonight after work cheers
  • GarFin 31 Points
    sussamb said:

GarFin said:

Nope, not a thing there.

Well that's weird, your Camper should read .gpi files just fine. Is it one .gpi file or a number? If more than one try doing them one at a time, doing a full restart of your Camper each time. There may be a corrupt .gpi file somewhere that is screwing things up or there may be a limit in POIs that you're hitting by transferring the lot.

Incidentally are you sure they're not there? They may just be viewed differently on your Camper compared to your Nuvi? On my Drive they are at Where to, Categories, (scroll down), Custom POIs
    I did get some to go in yes, only a handful, and they weren't in folders, and yes they were about 5 levels in. I couldn't even determine what most of them were.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    edited July 20
    Ah so it's not the fact it doesn't display POIs then, but rather not displaying them all and/or how you're used to seeing them. Trying to sort that out remotely isn't easy, best would be to re-create them using POI Loader, perhaps as suggested by OldGeezer. There are numerous rules that POIs should follow and POI Loader should sort all that out for you.
  • OldGeezer 44 Points
    The POItoGPX program is also supposed to be able to convert GPX to CSV files and CSV to GPX files. This might be handy if you're more used to working with a spreadsheet for your source file(s) instead of MapSource.
  • GarFin 31 Points
    So far I'm backing up stuff and trying to make sense of how to approach all this. However, is there any way to merge gpi files? I have two for instance for the same subject spelled differently so it'd be great to simply merge them. I'm guessing from what's been said they both need to be made into csv files, then merged, then changed into gpx?
  • GarFin 31 Points
    Also, when you import POI's, you later add favourites but you can't add faves to the POI files you just put in. They go into a different place. So I can never fully merge the two sets of data because they are firmly separated by Garmin.
  • GarFin 31 Points
    Right, sorry but I am reacting as I go. Adding POI's is fine. I've got that easily. The problem lies in adding old POI's with newer saved sites which weer saved into a Garmin favourites. It seems you can't add POI's and favourites together, so you have 2 folders of sub folders of the same names, that you can't join up.
    So I guess this is what I am seeking a method for, to find where favourites are stored on a Garmin, and merge them with old POI files so that I can make an up to date POI file.
    I tried to delete my earlier posts but the forum doesn't allow it Grrr
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Well favourites are stored in a file named current.gpx in the GPX folder of your nuvi. POI Loader will convert a gpx file to a gpi file, but why not simply keep the two separate? Most people use POI files (gpi)for hundreds of similar places (eg all Dunkin Donuts) and favourites for the places they visit or want to visit. They really are two different animals.
  • GarFin 31 Points
    edited July 21
    I use POI's for things like great camping spots, a list of all launderettes I come across in Europe, places I can fill with water and places where I can empty my chemical toilet. So that fits perfectly the type of 'lists' that POI's are iyo perfect for.

However, Garmin does not for some reason allow you to add to the POI lists, so each time you find a new and great campsite your option is only to add it as a favourite, but perhaps mirror the folder structure that your POI's are in to help yourself out.

And therein lies the problem. When you get to renewal time as I did, the problem is being able to merge the favourite folder structure to the POI folder structure so that the POI lists get updated, with all the new places you found and were forced to add as favourites, and then get them onto your new device.

TomTom used to allow this but apparently now does not. Whether Garmin used to allow it or not I don't know but they don't at the moment. Which is a bit mad, because while they thrive on us updating maps and new devices, they don't allow us to update our POI lists.
    Hence I am hoping someone has a workaround I can use. :)
  • OldGeezer 44 Points
    If you want to collect information on individual locations over time as "Saved Places" or "Favorites" (title depends on GPS model) you could:
    Connect your GPS to a computer with Garmin BaseCamp and use Device>Receive from Device to copy the data to your computer.
    Under My Collection, create a working folder and put a copy of each of the favorites you want to add to your POIs into this folder.
    Highlight the working folder and use File>Export, and select .csv as the file type to save the information on these POIs to a file.
    Copy and paste the lat, lon, and name data from this file into the .csv file where you keep your POI data on your computer. If you only need to add a small number of locations to your POI file, you could avoid the export process. Just select each Favorite in BaseCamp, copy the position data and paste it into your POI file.
    Then, use Garmin POI Loader to install the POI information on your GPS.

Depending on the number of locations you want to keep data on, saving them as Favorites and assigning categories may be manageable as sussamb referred to.

The key to easily updating a POI list is to keep a working/backup file(s) on your computer. Periodically make changes to the respective file and reinstall to your GPS. Recommend you always keep a copy of this on your computer as a backup. You can never tell when your GPS will be broken, lost or stolen.

By the way it doesn't matter if they are saved as POIs or favorites - you still may want to visit hundreds of Dunkin Donuts!
  • GarFin 31 Points
    edited July 21
    OldGeezer said:

If you want to collect information on individual locations over time as "Saved Places" or "Favorites" (title depends on GPS model) you could:
    Connect your GPS to a computer with Garmin BaseCamp and use Device>Receive from Device to copy the data to your computer.
    Under My Collection, create a working folder and put a copy of each of the favorites you want to add to your POIs into this folder.
    Highlight the working folder and use File>Export, and select .csv as the file type to save the information on these POIs to a file.
    Copy and paste the lat, lon, and name data from this file into the .csv file where you keep your POI data on your computer. If you only need to add a small number of locations to your POI file, you could avoid the export process. Just select each Favorite in BaseCamp, copy the position data and paste it into your POI file.
    Then, use Garmin POI Loader to install the POI information on your GPS.

Depending on the number of locations you want to keep data on, saving them as Favorites and assigning categories may be manageable as sussamb referred to.

The key to easily updating a POI list is to keep a working/backup file(s) on your computer. Periodically make changes to the respective file and reinstall to your GPS. Recommend you always keep a copy of this on your computer as a backup. You can never tell when your GPS will be broken, lost or stolen.

By the way it doesn't matter if they are saved as POIs or favorites - you still may want to visit hundreds of Dunkin Donuts!

I'm not 100% sure I understand all of this, but so far basecamp brings in a raft of info, but I don't know if it's just from POI's or also includes the favourite list.
    I am trying to merge the favourites with the POI's. But at the moment I don't know what I'm seeing in Basecamp, I think it's just the POI's.
    It looks like a list of POI's from the current.gpx, but Basecamp does not seem to be able to import all files from the POI's files in folders. They are .gpi I think.
    This is so bloody tedious when it doesn't have to be :(
  • GarFin 31 Points
    One thing I can tell you is Current.gpx is not the list of favourites, cos i have compared the contents on the unit and in basecamp and they don't match at all. Current.gpx appears to be neither the favourite list nor the list from the original POI. *sigh*
  • sussamb 813 Points
    edited July 21
    Sorry but current.gpx does contain your favourites, it always has on Garmin devices.

If you're not seeing your favourites there you're doing something wrong. You won't see your POIs there as they are in the .gpi file or files but you can see them in BaseCamp by selecting Maps, Manage Custom POIs.
  • OldGeezer 44 Points
    edited July 21
    When I have my GPS connected to my computer with BaseCamp, the left side of the screen shows Devices, and lets me select Internal Storage under Garmin DriveSmart 55. The lower left corner of the screen shows my Favorites, logs, and trips that are saved on the GPS. It does NOT show my POIs. If I select Device and then Receive from Device from the top left of the screen, this information would be copied from the GPS to my computer. Custom POIs are NOT copied. The copied data is put in a new folder (left side of screen under Library).
    If I want to see my POIs (while the GPS is connected), at the top left I select Find, then Find Points of Interest. A new block opens on the right side of the screen. From a pull down menu in this block I select Custom POIs, then click on the three dots to Find More Items to show more entries.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    It won't show your POIs in the left hand pane, as posted you need to go to Maps, Manage Custom POIs
  • OldGeezer 44 Points
    GarFin, I don't think you can merge your favorites and POIs in BaseCamp, certainly not as a group. With a spreadsheet (.csv) you have a lot more tools to help you arrange the data and look for duplicates, especially when you're working with a large number of locations.

sussamb, you got me thinking - time for Dunkin Donuts.
  • GarFin 31 Points
    OK I did Receive from Device and a folder opened with all my favourites in, but not ordered into folders. Fair enough, I can go to file and export as csv, except whenever I do basecamp crashes grrr.
    I'm beginning to think that Garmin's intention is that no matter how many hundreds of favourites you save on any device, they won't let you copy them to a new one. I'm seriously thinking of sending the device back now, I can't just give up on 2 years of hundreds of places listed as favourites.
    The POI's I can replicate, but all the faves saved I can't.
  • OldGeezer 44 Points
    edited July 25
    If you assigned a category (or categories) to your favorites, that should stay with them when moved between your GPS and BaseCamp on your computer.

To move favorites with BaseCamp you could plug in your old GPS and use "Device" "Receive from Device" to copy your Favorites to your computer. Disconnect your old GPS, then plug in your new GPS and use "Device" "Send to from Device" to move them to your new GPS. They should be the same on both GPSs at that point. This method will ADD your favorites to what is already saved in the existing current.gpx file on your new GPS, so you might create duplicates, but you won't lose any by accidentally overwriting something. Trying to copy the .gpx file from one GPS to another could accidentally overwrite something.

BaseCamp will NOT automatically create folders matching the listed sections/categories you are used to seeing on your GPS screen. That information is saved with each individual favorite (treated as "waypoints" in BaseCamp). When the favorites are moved back to a GPS you will see the same category options on the GPS screen that you are used to. This might be why the favorites you see on the BaseCamp screen don't match what you expect to see.

Don't know what to tell you about BaseCamp crashing. Are you using the latest version (4.7.0)?

Previously I wrote "When I have my GPS connected to my computer with BaseCamp, the left side of the screen shows Devices, and lets me select Internal Storage under Garmin DriveSmart 55. The lower left corner of the screen shows my Favorites, logs, and trips that are saved on the GPS. It does NOT show my POIs. If I select Device and then Receive from Device from the top left of the screen, this information would be copied from the GPS to my computer. Custom POIs are NOT copied. The copied data is put in a new folder (left side of screen under Library).
    If I want to see my POIs (while the GPS is connected), at the top left I select Find, then Find Points of Interest. A new block opens on the right side of the screen. From a pull down menu in this block I select Custom POIs, then click on the three dots to Find More Items to show more entries."
    You can save individual custom POIs from this open pane on the right side by selecting them one by one, right clicking and selecting "Create Waypoint", or select it and drag it to the open pane on the lower left side of the screen. This saves it as a waypoint in BaseCamp so it can the be treated as a favorite. NOT practical where you are trying to merge hundreds of POIs and favorites.

Bottom line, if you can't merge POIs and favorites with your new GPS, you may have to continue to live with a system where you have both POIs and Favorites on the new GPS like you did on your old GPS. But the good news is that you should not have to give up on either of the two collections.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    GarFin said:

I'm beginning to think that Garmin's intention is that no matter how many hundreds of favourites you save on any device, they won't let you copy them to a new one.

I'm not sure why this is going wrong for you but it's a simple action that I often complete as do others. There are at least 3 ways to move favourites across. Garmin Express will do it for you. So will BaseCamp, just copy your favourites into BaseCamp then send them to the device. There's no need to export them as csv files. Or you can manually copy current.gpx from one device to the other, note if you do this you must rename the copied file to something other than current.gpx on the new device.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    OldGeezer said:

I
    Don't know what to tell you about BaseCamp crashing. Are you using the latest version (4.7.0)?

Many people think that Basecamp 4.7 is especially buggy, so you might want to try an older version. But Garmin has discontinued Basecamp, so any problems that it has will never be fixed. X( And there's a major issue with the current version, MapInstall doesn't work with third party registry-based maps. This includes almost all of the maps from GPSFileDepot.

You can download old versions of Basecamp here: http://www.gawisp.com/perry/mapsource/
  • GarFin 31 Points
    Guys you've spent ages trying to help me and I appreciate it. Nothing really works properly but I've come to understand that's Garmin's sloppy software, I recognise now their coders are probably 16 year olds working out of their bedroom.
    I've at least got a list of all my POI's, so I am spending a few days editing them all into folders again. I have managed to successfully make a CSV file too of every POI I have so that'll be great for the future.
    Much more work than it should have been but at least I'll have them all back in the next few days, once again thank you for all of your help.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Good to know but still surprised you've had these issues, I've owned numerous Garmins over the years and transferring favourites and POIs has been pretty much seamless :)
  • OldGeezer 44 Points
    Glad to know you're making progress.
  • Kevin_hutch 65 Points
    I haven't followed this thread in detail, but I maintain many different POI subcategories on our 6 company GPS units, plus my own two 2797.
    I created a CSV file from the "Current" file for each and extract additional/updated data from the current.gpx file on my Garmin 2797. I have used many different programs to do this but now use excel.
    When I am happy with the file I use POI loader to convert the CSV file (ignore GPX) to GPI and load them to the GPS as 18 separate files, into the POI directory (using either the loader or explorer).
    Then the simplest way to transfer favorites/saved POIs (as distinct to the above POI sub categories) between GPS models is using the Garmin express "Tools & Content/Utilities/Transfer favorites". Just select the GPS backup file to transfer to/from all quick and easy, at least for 2797, 2595, 2597, Drive 60 & Drive 61.
  • GarFin 31 Points

I haven't followed this thread in detail, but I maintain many different POI subcategories on our 6 company GPS units, plus my own two 2797.
    I created a CSV file from the "Current" file for each and extract additional/updated data from the current.gpx file on my Garmin 2797. I have used many different programs to do this but now use excel.
    When I am happy with the file I use POI loader to convert the CSV file (ignore GPX) to GPI and load them to the GPS as 18 separate files, into the POI directory (using either the loader or explorer).
    Then the simplest way to transfer favorites/saved POIs (as distinct to the above POI sub categories) between GPS models is using the Garmin express "Tools & Content/Utilities/Transfer favorites". Just select the GPS backup file to transfer to/from all quick and easy, at least for 2797, 2595, 2597, Drive 60 & Drive 61.

How do you get POI loader to load them as separate files? It seems to me it simply sends one file at a time?

So if current.gpx is a list of all current POI's and subcategories, when you transfer the favourites do they also stay in their subcategories? As that was the main issue for me.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    You're still confused. Current.gpx does NOT contain POIs.

If you want separate POI files (those ending in .gpi) just rename them to something memorable each time, and don't ask POI loader to delete .gpi files. I normally have 4 separate .gpi files in my POI folder.
  • GarFin 31 Points
    edited August 5
    Of course I'm confused, you all know what you're talking about I don't. I need to read this entire thread all over again. The problem is it's far too much messing around, Garmin needs to make it much, much easier to do. It's like a techie designed thing from the 60's the way they currently have it.
    Also i think there's a confusion about POI's.
    I saved POI's on my Garmin from a csv file that I got from a website. That works fine.
    The POIs I have trouble with are the ones you save yourself, into the fave folder, and then you assign it a different folder to suit your naming convention. Those that you save into fave and then rename are the ones I struggle with, as there's no easy way of getting them back out and into a new device, especially without losing all of the folders, as happened to me.
    The other ones I simply use POI Loader and they go in straight away.
  • t923347 432 Points
    That clears a lot up for me as I was confused about what you were talking about when you say POI's. From your last post it appears that your having a problem with Favorites or Saved Places (same thing). To get these copied correctly to your new unit you don't need POI Loader or any other additional software for that matter.

If you have these in the categories you want on a GPS now, all you need to do to get them on another GPS and maintain the categories is to:

- Original GPS - copy the current.gpx file to your computer
    - Rename the copied current.gpx file on your computer to another name (e.g. temp.gpx)
    - Copy temp.gpx to the gpx folder on the new GPS
    - Reboot the new GPX and you should have all the favorites from your old unit installed on the new one while maintaining the categories.

- Once you have confirmed the Favorites are stored properly on the new GPS, deleted the temp.gpx file from the unit.

Hope this helps.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    That was covered earlier in the thread but hopefully with your detailed explanation it will now be clear.
  • t923347 432 Points
    I should have said in the second last point:

Reboot the new GPS........
  • I hope all is now resolved fo the OP, but just for those that come along later, POIs are Points Of Interest and they are filed in "Favourites" or "Saved" groups (depends on the model GPS) then there are POI "Categories" that Garmin has created plus "Custom POIs" and "Other POIs" that a user has created.

"Favourites" or "Saved" POIs are Waypoints in the "Current" gpx file along with Routes (rte) and Tracks (tke) that can be viewed with programs like POI Viewer 10. These can be transferred from a GPS backup file to another GPS in the "utilities" section of Garmin express or copied directly into the GPS "GPX" directory.

The user-created "Other Categories" include Custom POIs and Others.

These can be set up in individual gpi files or multiple groups within a gpi file, if all loaded at the same POI loader pass. There is a way to set a gpi file to "Other category" and appear separate to Custome POIs, as yet I have not identified the flag in the gpi file for this, but I have all groups on my GPS.

These gpi files are then be loaded into the POI directory (folder) on the GPS (directly or through POI loader. Although you can place it elsewhere and find it works but may cause confusion at a later date.

On some GPS units the "Custome POIs" can be "personalised" for selection on the main screen.

The routes can be selected via Trip planner and in some GPS units are sorted alphabetically, I have noticed on the Drive 60 & 61 the Trips take considerable time to transfer from the Current file.

It is important to comprehend the various POIs and Favorites saved as Waypoints, Trips stored as Routes and Tracks showing where you traveled or a question can be totally misread.