This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Making Free Map for etrex20x: need w/both contours and roads/water/etc. Have you done this?

I need your help. I've been working for 2 years, but haven't had consistent success. I want to hike and use my Garmin etrex20x to see roads/rivers/lakes/foliage AND contours.

Does anyone have a dependable way to make contours and roads/rivers/lakes appear on my Garmin etrex20x and in Basecamp? I'm hoping someone has a solution that uses extract.bbbike.org maps.

What consistently happens to me is that I'll download my favorite maps from extract.bbbike.org (a layer with roads/water/etc , and another identical layer with topo lines - both layers of the exact same pieces of land). I'll then combine them using GMapTool or OSM Combiner and then install them into Basecamp.

When I open Basecamp, occasionally I'll be able to see the perfect map that i'm hoping for. But when I use Basecamp's Mapinstaller to install it to my device, only the topo layer shows up when I open up my etrex20x device. OR occasionally, the ideal map shows up on my device, but basecamp only shows the contour lines.

I've been deep into GPSfiledepot, Openstreeetmap.nl, openstreetmap.org, extract.bbbike.org, and I've used cGPSmapper, GMapTool, OSM Combiner, lots of software.

Also, I do a bunch of hiking overseas, so I need to make my own maps - gpsfiledepot doesn't have pre-made hiking maps like these available. So I'm looking for help.

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    IF you really make you own maps, they can have whatever you like in them. But making your own maps is not the same as creating a "FrankenMap" from stuff on a website somewhere. ;)

Sorry, I don't think there's any easy answer to your question, aside from learning how to make your own maps from original sources of raw data (such as the USGS). The tools you describe aren't what you need to do that. However, this part of your post raises a red flag:

"When I open Basecamp, occasionally I'll be able to see the perfect map that i'm hoping for. But when I use Basecamp's Mapinstaller to install it to my device, only the topo layer shows up when I open up my etrex20x "

If you are using cgpsmapper, you're creating old-style "registry maps". The current version of Basecamp/MapInstall is not really compatible with these (and Garmin has not bothered to explain this major change). The map will generally look ok in Basecamp, but when you send it to the GPS, it is missing most of the deatil. This applies to the version of Basecamp that Garmin introduced in May 2018. And Garmin has discontinued Basecamp now, so this problem will never be fixed.

But there are other things that could cause your problems, and unfortunately I don't have the time to explain all the nuances of mapmaking in this post.