This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin DriveAssist 51 locking up

Ever so often my DriveAssist 51 will simply lock up while driving. The map display looks the same but it is just frozen. A hard reset by powering of the unit fixes it and it returns to the current route. I have updated all software, maps, etc. I have tried it without connecting the smartphone app (I have an iPhone) and it has locked up both ways. It does not happen all the time, but it is starting to get frustrating. Anyone have any ideas or fixes?

Comments

• DualSport21 16 Points
    I had the same problem with my 51 LMT-S a couple of months ago and called Garmin support. They agreed to replace it (it was a refurbished unit from GPScity.ca) with another unit if I mailed it back. The replacement was also a refurb and didn't have that problem - but did have other problems. I called Garmin support again today and didn't get a friendly agent like the first time. This one insisted I install the lastest mapset (Firmware was up to date) and do a Factory Reset. I've now done that and it's just the same so I'll call back tomorrow and try to insist on a replacement. I'm sort of stuck with it now as I added the backup camera :-(
  • I have since selected the lowest map detail display option and it seems to have helped since it has not happened in a while...knock on wood. It also seems to lock up on long travel routes. Anyway, the main reason I got this model was for the dash cam which works fine. May I ask which backup camera you have (BC30 or 40)? I am wanting to add that as well.
  • DualSport21 16 Points
    I always set it at Most Detail as I use this GPS for car routes on twisty backroads so you need the extra detail to prevent having to zoom in too close. Most of my routes that locked up were 400Km/8 hrs .

I got the BC30 at GPScity.ca - $180CDN. I had my local mechanic to add power wires to the Reversing Lamps and it works great. It has a grid pattern that is fully adjustable to set up limits for when you reverse. Very pleased with it - just wish I liked the DriveAssist 51 as much as my old Nuvi's !!!
  • I am also looking at the BC 30 so it will be tied into the reverse. Do you have to use the power/receiver cable that comes with the BC30 for it to work or can the 51 find the camera signal by itself?
  • Shandy 5 Points
    edited August 9

Ever so often my DriveAssist 51 will simply lock up while driving. The map display looks the same but it is just frozen. A hard reset by powering of the unit fixes it and it returns to the current route. I have updated all software, maps, etc. I have tried it without connecting the smartphone app (I have an iPhone) and it has locked up both ways. It does not happen all the time, but it is starting to get frustrating. Anyone have any ideas or fixes?

I to have this problem and think it is down to the Cam sdcard. When I reformat it the problem goes away until the card gets near full again. New card so not a problem with it.Unit just doesn't seem to handle writing over top of old footage.
  • .... Do you have to use the power/receiver cable that comes with the BC30 for it to work or can the 51 find the camera signal by itself?

The Instructions said the BC30 cable must be used for the GPS as the receiver is in the cable. I didn't bother trying the 51 cable.
  • Shandy said:

I to have this problem and think it is down to the Cam sdcard. When I reformat it the problem goes away until the card gets near full again. New card so not a problem with it.Unit just doesn't seem to handle writing over top of old footage.

I'm using the same 128GB "camera mSD" in my replacement 51, and it's never had a lockup, even though Garmin claims only to support 32GB.
  • .... Do you have to use the power/receiver cable that comes with the BC30 for it to work or can the 51 find the camera signal by itself?

The Instructions said the BC30 cable must be used for the GPS as the receiver is in the cable. I didn't bother trying the 51 cable.
    OK thanks. Ordered my BC30 yesterday, will install it this weekend.
  • Installed and works fine. Does what I need it to do. Now to replace the card to see if that fixes the lockup issues.