This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

DriveAssist 51LMT-S and GPX routing issues

I mainly use my DA 51 for car club tours that use a GPX file of the route produced in BaseCamp. It seems to have difficulty assessing when a waypoint (or a Shaping Point changed to "Alert on Arrival") has been reached. Probably 30% of the time it announces the waypoint and then says "Make a U-Turn" as it does not think you passed the point. You know you did so you keep going then it (eventually) asks if you want to Skip that point. If the next waypoint is reached before you are asked, there seems to be no way to skip multiple points and the route becomes unusable. Sometimes the "problem " waypoint" may be a few metres off the road and zooming in to the route shows a small "stub" from the road to the waypoint. I've tried reviewing the route on max zoom in BaseCamp and moving suspect points back onto the road, but it doesn't fix the issue.

The only suspicious behaviour I can see is that this GPS seems to have a much longer timelag in displaying an accurate posistion. Quite often I'll miss a turn-off in a city as I know i'm very close to the turn, but the display shows the cursor about a block before the turn. Just as I pass through the turn, the cursor catches up and you missed your turn. (I use the "custom" Blue triangle that shows your position as the point, rather than the mid-point of the image like all the standard Garmin vehicles, so it's very precise). I've been using a succession of Garmin GPS since 2002 and this is the absolute slowest to update the position, even though I usually have locks on about 12 satellites and the accuracy says 3 metres.

Anyone else have this issue or can suggest how to work around it?
Thanks
Bob

Comments

• sussamb 813 Points
    May be time for a master reset. As for skipping points, tap the wrench and select Change route and select as appropriate
  • Chris_Sav 126 Points
    Had similar setting up multi point routes for our club motorcycle runs.

The two things I make sure of are:

1) All the waypoints are actually on the road, just off and the satnav may never find it.

2) Never put a waypoint on a junction, particularly one where you are turning. If the waypoint is on the outside of the turn the satnav may think you have passed it by. I always put the waypoint on the road just after the turn so the satnav routes to it, not just before the turn as you get no warning of the turn itself only the waypoint.
  • DualSport21 16 Points
    sussamb said:

May be time for a master reset. As for skipping points, tap the wrench and select Change route and select as appropriate

Master Reset previously tried and didn't do anything, and everything else at latest version.

Thanks for the trip about the wrench - I didn't have that item selected as I thought it meant "Change (to a new) Route". I've turned it on and it should help.

I'm more interested in ensuring it doesn't think I've missed a point (which I haven't) than keep fixing it - too distracting!
  • DualSport21 16 Points
    Chris_Sav said:

Had similar setting up multi point routes for our club motorcycle runs.

Me too, but we always used Direct (Off-Road) Routing as our Dual Sport Club rides were more off-road than on-road.

I agree with your other points. My routes work fine, but the other less-experienced members in the Miata Car Club make lousy routes ....
  • JoeGriffin 81 Points
    Chris_Sav said:

I always put the waypoint on the road just after the turn so the satnav routes to it, not just before the turn as you get no warning of the turn itself only the waypoint.

Good catch! I will remember that next time i'm setting up a route. Thanks!

.... Joe
  • Kevin_hutch 65 Points
    edited August 14
    One significant issue is that the route is established based on the map installed and if the one that the waypoints are set on differs from the one the GPS calculates the route on then you get waypoints that may be off the mapped road.
    The GPS not having knowledge of a road to the waypoint sets a route from the nearest known road. This is why sometimes a campsite on a river, down an unmarked track, can become an impossible task of crossing the river from the closest "known road".
    Having modified many roads I have seen this on reused routes, where waypoints are on the old road alignment. Just confirm that the maps you are using are identical.
    Also after loading the route into the GPS, zoom in close and follow the track, you will see the deviations out and back from the marked road.