This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Navigon 7100 Truth

MattYoung 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
I just received my Navigon 7100 2 weeks ago. I researched all TomTOM, Magellan, Garmin and Navman equivalent models. This device seemed to have the best price range and the free traffic updates are really what sold me on it as well as its 3d reality view.

In reality, after having the device, here are some things I noticed: The touch screen is not always responsive to the finger. I see the button pressed, but it has a reaction like clicking on a button and moving your mouse away from the button after you clicked it (in windows) it doesn't always take the command you clicked. This may be because the buttons need to be larger.

The navigation tends to prefer strange windey back-roads, even when told to take the fastest, shortest allow u-turns and allow all highways. A perfect example is a road I always take to work - it is a strait route and very fast, yet the navigon wants to take me on a windey farm road that adds about 10 minutes to the trip. Also, since there was some recent construction on a bridge here 6 months ago, it knew nothing about that.The points of interest are almost useless because they apparently contain stale data. We had a [@] pizza shop here in Williamsport, PA about 5 years ago, and it still shows as a point of interest on the database.

I can't expect the device to have up to the minute map updates, but at least there should be some customer adjustable routes on their site. Navigon's website doesn't readilly have any updates for the device... There isn't really any support so to speak. Reality view is pretty cool, but after you get past the glamour of the first static image, it isn't all that it's advertised. Speech to destination has trouble if you have a noisy cabin - like I do. Also, the device crashed a few times (must be running a version of Windows CE) because it got an application error message when I booted it up a few times.Overall, the device is ok - it gets me where I want to go, but I wouldn't write home about it's performance.

I took a picture of the Navigon 7100 when its OS crashed. On the screen was the error:

Fatal Application Error!
Application MN6.EXE has performed an Illegal Operation and will be shut down. If the problem persists contact the program Vendor.

Program : MN6.exe
Exception: 0xC0000005
Address: 0019394C

Must be running a version of Microsoft's Windows or something - it harkens back unto the times of Windows 3.1 - that is quiet scary.

-Matt-

Comments

• The touch screen is not always responsive to the finger. I see the button pressed, but it has a reaction like clicking on a button and moving your mouse away from the button after you clicked it (in windows) it doesn't always take the command you clicked. This may be because the buttons need to be larger.
    Nope, it's because you are using it incorrectly. Touch the button with your nail, not the fleshy part of your finger. It was designed to be used with a stylus, so it's looking for hard tap, not a cushy one. A light tap with your nail will work MUCH better than a hard tap with your skin. Hopefully Navigon will make the screen more sensitive in their upcoming update.
    Navigon's website doesn't readilly have any updates for the device...
    They recently announced that this was upcoming.
    Speech to destination has trouble if you have a noisy cabin - like I do.
    The 7100 comes with MANY volume adjustments, including a speed variant adjustment. We were able to hear the speech just fine once we 'tuned-in' the right settings, infact I was quite surprised at how loud the unit can get. You could also use a FM transmitter and plug it into the headphone jack to play the voice through your stereo. The trick is finding a FM transmitter that works. Most don't. Even the ones that come with the Garmins are a novelty. The best way is to buy a line output adapter and play it directly through your cars radio section.
  • ooda 0 Points
    MattYoung, i agree with you 100%, upgrades are expected next year, hopfully the 7100 bugs are fixed.