This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin gpsmap 235 sounder

Hi, can anyone tell me if I can still get this Garmin 235 sounder to replace a sun damaged screen on my boat, I want to replace like for like or if anyone knows a different model that would fit with the same pinned lead ? ...Regards...Alan

Comments

• privet01 221 Points
    A brand new Garmin chart plotter, fish finder or sounder all come with a new power/data cable. So if the pinout isn't the same, then it's a no-brainer to replace. IMO.
  • Thanks for the reply, I was hoping that someone knew where there was a 235 sounder for sale to replace with the same pinot, or another model that I could replace it with the same pinot.?
  • OldGeezer 44 Points
    Try looking on E-Bay.
  • Thanks Geezer I already have
  • privet01 221 Points
    It's an old and discontinued product. So maybe one will turn up eventually on ebay or elsewhere if you only want the same. I don't know the number of pins on your device, however for my garmin marine products, I was able to use the same power/data cable with three maybe four or more different chartplotters that were brand new products over the course of 12 years.

I think the last garmin chart plotter I got circa 2016 did require a change, but I don't remember whether it was because of the unit having more pins or just that a reconfiguration of the boat required a longer cable and the original had be cut too short. To late to check now, unfortunately I'm without a boat now.

So you've got a good chance, I think of finding something used on ebay of a different and newer model that will still have the same pinout. Likely, if you aren't using this in conjunction with other nema enabled devices, then you probably are only using two wires in the current cable. They are just the positive and negative power wires. Don't be afraid of a new device with more wires. Because if you still don't need it to talk to other nema enabled devices or turn on a additional alarm, then you still will only need two of the wires in the cable connected to anything.