This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Opinions wanted... Out of warranty repair or just buy refurb from online retailer?

My Garmin DriveAssist 51LMT-S (NA) that my son uses has a display screen that is coming loose from the housing. When pushed back in, the display graphics go nuts.

Garmin has hid their out of warrany repair site for everything but their aviation devices. So calling support I found out it's $130 plus shipping to them to get another, which of course will be a refurb.

Looking online I see that FactoryOutletStore is advertising the same refurb for $110 and free shipping. Seems a no brainier to just buy from them. However does anyone no of any reasons I should handle this through Garmin Support's flat rate repair?

I forgot to ask the Garmin Support guy what the warranty was on their re-furb. The one from FactoryOutletStore is a one year factory warranty.

I suppose as a mentioned earlier, it's a no-brainer to go with the 110 dollar one. And even if I went with Garmin Support, It's not a big difference of cost to me.

What do you think or know?

Comments

• sussamb 829 Points
    I've only exchanged a device once, but it only came with a three month warranty, so if it were me I'd go with the outlet store
  • alanb 557 Points
    edited October 2019
    I agree with sussamb … forget the Garmin offer and find the best deal available on a factory refurb. 3 of my 5 Garmin devices were factory refurbs, and all have been like new and worked flawlessly. On my other 2 Garmin's, one was new and the other used from eBay.
  • privet01 229 Points
    I too was thinking it's a three month warranty on the flat-rate-repair stuff. The re-furb from the online vendor explicitly states that it comes with a one-year manufacturer's warranty.

I guess what I'm having trouble wrapping my head around is that I used to see the flat-rate-repair prices being lower than the re-furbs from other vendors like gpscity, factoryoutletstore and such. However I'm sure there is probably a surplus of returned new units since many online vendors have a generous return policy.

I'll probably go with the one from factoryoutletstore once my Son gets home and says that he doesn't want a different model.

Thanks for your comments.
  • Boyd 2010 Points
    Like you said.... "no-brainer" (if you trust"FactoryOutletStore".)