This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

First impressions DriveSmart 61 vs 65

I decided to get myself a DriveSmart 65 because.... Not really sure. I guess because I wanted to give the 61 to my wife, or perhaps just say, keep it in the van whereas I generally drive the Subaru.

I have only used the 65 once to go to the grocery and just simulate, but I like how when I'm coming up on a turn it zooms in much closer in autozoom than the 61 did. In a downtown where lots of side streets are close together, it was a struggle with the 61 to make out on the map where to turn. The car symbol could cover several streets. The 65 zooms in much closer. That's good.

I also like that most of the on screen data is in larger type sizes. My older eyes were, I use reading glasses for closeup stuff, can make out the data better.

I hope the lane assist arrows show up more often than on the 61.

I'll post more observations as I use the 65 more but just the better adjusted auto zoom makes the upgrade worthwhile...assuming I don't discover something that i like on the 61 that Garmin got rid on on the 65.

Comments

• edagrade 3 Points
    Thanks for your insights so far.
    I have upgraded to a DS65 from a well loved Nuvi 2597. I share the same about the larger fonts as I'm on the wrong side of 50.
    I've not used the DS65 much yet, but appreciate the improved features I have observed to date.
    Things I observe are:
    1, Speed camera warnings are nervously late at about 400m
    2, Garmin Drive app for traffic won't allow google map locations to be pushed to the DS65 like the Smartphonelink app did to the Nuvi.
    3, I'm based in New Zealand and weather radar images for here are said to be sourced from an Australian provider (BOM) that actually don't provide weather radar coverage for NZ.

• It's funny. I have no real desire to use any of the three features you mentioned. I also have no desire to connect my Samsung smart phone to the Garmin.

My phone connects to my car so that I have txt messages read to me by the car and I can respond with the 12 canned answers hands free.
  • Anyway looking forward to seeing if the lane assist arrows show up more often.

I still need to kill the Junction view file though. I think it interferes with lane assist.
  • edagrade 3 Points

My phone connects to my car so that I have txt messages read to me by the car and I can respond with the 12 canned answers hands free.

Fair call.
    For mine, traffic and weather info is only available via the GarminDrive app, where as traffic was available through both the power cable and the SmartphoneLink app on the Nuvi.
    I use the Bluetooth for smartphone connectivity during work to have my personal phone connected to the DS65 and my work phone connected to the vehicle audio system.
  • sussamb 827 Points
    edited January 14

I still need to kill the Junction view file though. I think it interferes with lane assist.

That's easy enough, just delete the .jcv file. Personally I like junction view. Note this will only get rid of the static junction views, active junction views where you get a moving indication of what lane to be in will still show, but there aren't many of those around, at least not where I drive.

• Boyd 1992 Points
    Guess I'm missing something.... I'm on the "wrong side" of 70, my eyes suck and my glasses are old and scratched. But there's nothing that I would want to see in a larger font. ;) Can you give an example of what you find too small?

Personally, I still think the DriveTrack 71 is the coolest Garmin automotive device I've ever owned. :)

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/31309/the-drivetrack-71-garmin-s-coolest-model-you-ve-never-heard-of/p1

One thing I like about the 71 is the smaller POI icons. But if you like BIG text, maybe you wouldn't appreciate these? Does the 65 have the big icons like the 61 or small ones like the 71?

• sussamb said:

That's easy enough, just delete the .jcv file. Personally I like junction view. Note this will only get rid of the static junction views, active junction views where you get a moving indication of what lane to be in will still show, but there aren't many of those around, at least not where I drive.

It's strange. On other Garmins I've deleted the .jcv file many times but when I plug the DS65 into the computer and look at the internal files, being sure to check show "hidden items" and uncheck the option to hide system folders and files, I don't see the system files were the JVC file would reside. Nothing shows up as a system folder. There are other folders for the car icons and such. But the Garmin folder where I think the system folder usually resized only has a Diag and a Documents folder. No system folder.
  • Boyd 1992 Points

when I plug the DS65 into the computer and look at the internal files, being sure to check show "hidden items" and uncheck the option to hide system folders and files

Stop doing all that stuff! This is a much easier way to access the .System folder without changing any settings. :)

• Boyd said:

Guess I'm missing something.... I'm on the "wrong side" of 70, my eyes suck and my glasses are old and scratched. But there's nothing that I would want to see in a larger font. ;) Can you give an example of what you find too small?

Personally, I still think the DriveTrack 71 is the coolest Garmin automotive device I've ever owned. :)

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/31309/the-drivetrack-71-garmin-s-coolest-model-you-ve-never-heard-of/p1

One thing I like about the 71 is the smaller POI icons. But if you like BIG text, maybe you wouldn't appreciate these? Does the 65 have the big icons like the 61 or small ones like the 71?

It looks like I need an external photo repository to post pictures so I'll describe. On the DS65 the data fields where current speed and Time of Day are shown (the two data fields at the bottom left and right) the type size is larger than on the 61.

I also set the Trip Data field to stay open on the right side of the screen where I've set the 3 fields to show arrival time, time to destination and miles to destination. They may not be larger but appear easier to read.

But the big thing is that with the 61 autozoom never zoomed in close enough on turns where there are many side streets or complicated intersections. The 65 autmatically xooms in much closer so I cam better see were to turn.

• Boyd said:

when I plug the DS65 into the computer and look at the internal files, being sure to check show "hidden items" and uncheck the option to hide system folders and files

Stop doing all that stuff! This is a much easier way to access the .System folder without changing any settings. :)

The driveSmart doesn't show up in Explorer as a drive with drive letter but as a folder just like Music does.
    It shows "This PC\Garmin DriveSmart 65" if I type \.system I get an error.

Is there a way to make it show up as a lettered drive?
  • Boyd 1992 Points
    edited January 14
    Sounds like you have it set for the default MTP mode. You need to change it to mass storage mode to have access to the full device.

This has been discussed extensively in the forums, here's a 9-year-old post that includes the following.

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/165763/#Comment_165763

"2. Start NUVI by itself and go to Volume Screen.
    3. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds.
    4. The Developers Screen will pop up
    5. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
    6. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE"
  • Boyd 1992 Points

It looks like I need an external photo repository to post pictures so I'll describe.

You would need that to post inline images. However, you could just post links and they would open as pictures when anyone clicks on them. In other words, use the same link as before, but just paste it directly into your post instead of using the image button.
  • Boyd said:

Sounds like you have it set for the default MTP mode. You need to change it to mass storage mode to have access to the full device.

This has been discussed extensively in the forums, here's a 9-year-old post that includes the following.

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/165763/#Comment_165763

"2. Start NUVI by itself and go to Volume Screen.
    3. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds.
    4. The Developers Screen will pop up
    5. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
    6. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE"

Thanks. The settings are different by the way. After step 2 above you don't go into Developer Info, you go
    3: "Configuration and Settings"
    4: MTP Settings
    5:Check "Show .system"

The .system folder all of a sudden showed up in Windows Explorer without changing the unit to mass storage and without setting Explorer to show Hidden Files/folders or to unhide the system folders.

I did change the name of the JVC file.
  • Boyd 1992 Points
    That's interesting, must be a new feature. Just looked on my DriveSmart 61 and you're right about "Configuration and Settings" (no big surprise, because the link I posted was 9 years old). But I only have these options of the DS 61:

MTP Auto Detect
    Mass Storage
    Mass Storage Single Session

But does yours also have a "Mass Storage" option? If not, then maybe they just changed the name of "Mass Storage" to "Show System"?

• It does have a a mass storage option but I didn't open it. I thought I'd try the "show .system" option first and it worked.
  • I'll check the other setting later. GPS is in the car and time to start making dinner
  • So Boyd, on the DS65, after pressing the top right in the volume page it's

Configuration Settings>
    .....MTP Settings
    .................MTP Mode
    ....................................MTP Auto Detect
    ....................................USB Ethernet
    ....................................USB Ethernet Single Session
    ............... Show .System

MTP Auto Detect is set as the dafault in MTP Mode. Not necessary to go in there to get access to the .system folder. Just enable "Show .System"

I guess I was wrong. There is no Mass Storage option unless it's somewhere else entirely. I did browse the other options besides "Configuration settings" but nothing obvious. But there's tons of stuff under .system. Not sure if there are any more hidden folders to open.

• BTW, I added the above to that 9 year old thread linked above.
  • truckinguy 116 Points
    edited January 19

So Boyd, on the DS65, after pressing the top right in the volume page it's

Configuration Settings>
    .....MTP Settings
    .................MTP Mode
    ....................................MTP Auto Detect
    ....................................USB Ethernet
    ....................................USB Ethernet Single Session
    ............... Show .System

MTP Auto Detect is set as the dafault in MTP Mode. Not necessary to go in there to get access to the .system folder. Just enable "Show .System"

I guess I was wrong. There is no Mass Storage option unless it's somewhere else entirely. I did browse the other options besides "Configuration settings" but nothing obvious. But there's tons of stuff under .system. Not sure if there are any more hidden folders to open.

I believe usb ethernet is the same as mass storage just new way of saying it. Although my 65 wouldn't transfer my Mapsourse waypoints,etc direct like my 61 will once set to Mass storage. I had to transfer the Mapsource file .gbd to .gpx and put that on a micro card on the 65. Was a PIA so I returned the 65. Wasn't worth the $200 but I had to try it out. I have two 61's and they work great. Icons aren't an issue as I have them turned off.
    I use Smartphone link all the time. I find google search so much better then built in Garmin poi's. I send it to my 61 and off I go. I hate navigating via phone or my $700 built in Sync 3 Ford GPS. That's a pile of crap really. love the 61.
    I also have Android Auto and Waze. Both can't compare to DS61 for serious navigating use.
  • Ah you reminded me. Yes Mapsource refused to transfer my waypoints and routes (trips) to the DS65. I had used MapSource to back up my waypoints and routes from my DS61onto my computer to put onto the 65. BaseCamp was able to do it but I foresee a day when neither Mapsource nor Basecamp will be supported for New Garmin units and I "think" what you described above was a manual way to get your waypoints onto the DS65?

Have never really used Mapsource or Basecamp except as a way to keep a backup of my waypoints especially for when I get a new device.

By the way, I took the DS65 on it's first fairly long trip. The lane assist arrows did mostly show up after the unit gave me a message on the next major turn. I had deleted the JVC file. I have lon suspected byt can't prove that deleting the JVC file makes the lane assist arrows show up more often.
  • I took my boys over to a friends house today. When I got close to the house a pop-up pane came out from the right on top of the trip data that I keep up stuff about finding parking. This was annoying. I had to X it away. I hope there is an off button. I'd much prefer to ask for help parking than to have it just pop out and have to get rid of it.
  • alanb 550 Points
    I wonder if the "Show .system" function actually changes the attributes on the .system folder. That would definitely be a change in the way Garmin handles this hidden folder.
  • Boyd 1992 Points
    edited January 19

I believe usb ethernet is the same as mass storage just new way of saying it.

No, definitely not the same thing. I have seen this on other Garmin automotive devices.... I think it was the linux-based Nuvi 5000/Nuvi 8xx. You would only choose that option for something very specialized.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_over_USB

"There are numerous protocols for Ethernet-style networking over USB. The main motivation for these protocols is to allow application-independent exchange of data with USB devices, instead of specialized protocols such as video or MTP."
  • Boyd 1992 Points
    edited January 19
    alanb said:

I wonder if the "Show .system" function actually changes the attributes on the .system folder.

From what has been said, I don't think this is the same as older devices at all. To me, it sounds like "show system" does literally what it says, it "shows" you the .System folder. In other words, it gives you read-only access to .System, but no write access. So you wouldn't be able to directly send any files to that folder if this is the case.

Mapsource needs read/write access to the device (but not to the .System folder). Something odd is going on there if it doesn't work. Does Basecamp let you send waypoints/routes? It should be able to directly access the GPS, regardless of those settings.

BTW, MTP mode is just a "Windows thing". On a Mac (and also, I assume, a Linux computer), the device will always mount as a USB disk regardless of those settings. The .System folder will be hidden, because any filename that begins with a dot is always hidden. But you aren't actually locked out of it or anything.
  • Hi Boyd, because with "show .system" checked I was able to rename the *.jvc file in the JVC folder in .system to *.jvc.old, it can't be completely read only.
  • Basecamp, but NOT Mapsource, was able to send the waypoints and trips i have backed up on my Win10 notebook to the DS65. And this was before I enabled "show .system"
  • edagrade 3 Points

I took my boys over to a friends house today. When I got close to the house a pop-up pane came out from the right on top of the trip data that I keep up stuff about finding parking. This was annoying. I had to X it away. I hope there is an off button. I'd much prefer to ask for help parking than to have it just pop out and have to get rid of it.

That feature is a default thing with no opt out. You will need to X it away each time. From my experience on the Nuvi 2795 it wasn't too intrusive, but I'm unsure yet if my DS65 is more 'in your face' about parking alerts/announcements.
    I know the parking thing is well featured to select suitable parking based on cost & availability etc.
  • edagrade said:

I took my boys over to a friends house today. When I got close to the house a pop-up pane came out from the right on top of the trip data that I keep up stuff about finding parking. This was annoying. I had to X it away. I hope there is an off button. I'd much prefer to ask for help parking than to have it just pop out and have to get rid of it.

That feature is a default thing with no opt out. You will need to X it away each time. From my experience on the Nuvi 2795 it wasn't too intrusive, but I'm unsure yet if my DS65 is more 'in your face' about parking alerts/announcements.
    I know the parking thing is well featured to select suitable parking based on cost & availability etc.
    The parking thing takes about 1/3 the screen. Not as large as Junction view but larger than trip data.
  • I wish I could edit. I have no need for parking assistance except for maybe once every 3 years. I prefer how on the 61 it was up on the top and out of the way.
  • edagrade 3 Points

I wish I could edit. I have no need for parking assistance except for maybe once every 3 years. I prefer how on the 61 it was up on the top and out of the way.

The good thing is doesn't pop up for all destinations I think. I like to have trip data displayed too: Moving Average Speed & total Moving speed. Just a game I like to play to keep a minimum of difference between those values. Crazy - but it keeps me amused on long trips.
  • My trip data has arrival time, time to destination and miles to destination. The larger data field, opposite speed limit is current time.
  • edagrade 3 Points

My trip data has arrival time, time to destination and miles to destination. The larger data field, opposite speed limit is current time.

Cool. My third trip data is compass heading. Below all of that in the bottom right corner I have arrival time.
  • Something else new with the 65 (vs the 61) I'd forgotten to mention. Sometimes I have to get the boys at the High School at dismissal time. the 65 doesn't like it at all and tells me that TRAFFIC IS NOT ALLOWED in a big red bar that drops down from the top. I know I can get be kids and there is no dismiss button.
  • Boyd 1992 Points
    That's ridiculous. What is it with these intrusive warnings? Bad enough on the Drivesmart 61 which constantly warns me of every little curve in the road, railroad track and school with no way to turn it off. I guess that once you include a feature like this, the Garmin lawyers don't want you to turn the alerts off so you can't say the GPS didn't warn you.

And that parking alert sounds even worse. These sound like good reasons to skip the 65 and go for a good price on a refurb Drivesmart 61 if you need a new GPS. ;)
  • At least the DS65 appears to have a working setting on traffic.

On the DS61 I had it set to alert me only for major delays but on almost every drive I took it would alert me one or two times on things that it estimated as less than 5 minute delay. That Setting never worked.

The DS65 appears to have fixed that.

So Parking vs Traffic delays, I trade one alert for another that I have to X out. But I suspect that parking will not come up on every trip like the traffic alert did on the 61.

As to that school alert. Ya it's stupid. But it doesn't hinder the map very too much.

I didn't much mind orange alerts that appeared on the top bar. They were silent at least. I ended up so immune that I hardly ever noticed them any more.

The DS65 has another new feature. Where it shows the speed limit down toward the bottom left, that data field will turn orange when I am approaching a change in the road's speed limit. I think I like that. There is no audio notice to go with it.

The big thing that I like about the 65 is that autozoom works better at complex intersections/turns. It zoom in much closer. That's a real big plus for me.

I also think that they made improvements to the 65's ability to listen. With the 61 in my new car it had a real hard time with voice command. Hard of hearing. The 65 has no problem hearing me even with the music at a reasonable level which is a surprise.

So Far I'm finding lost of fairly small programming differences. There are pluses and minuses. So far at least the pluses are outweighing the minuses.... for me.
  • edagrade 3 Points
    Boyd said:

Bad enough on the Drivesmart 61 which constantly warns me of every little curve in the road, railroad track and school with no way to turn it off. I guess that once you include a feature like this, the Garmin lawyers don't want you to turn the alerts off so you can't say the GPS didn't warn you.

And that parking alert sounds even worse. These sound like good reasons to skip the 65 and go for a good price on a refurb Drivesmart 61 if you need a new GPS. ;)

On the DS65 the Audible Alerts are able to be selectively enabled or disabled. Settings > Driver Assistance > Driver Alerts.
  • sussamb 827 Points
    Same with the other Drive series, it's often the orange banner folks complain about, as I believe is the case here, rather than the warning tones ;)
  • Boyd 1992 Points
    Yes, exactly. My GPS is muted all the time anyway.
  • sussamb said:

Same with the other Drive series, it's often the orange banner folks complain about, as I believe is the case here, rather than the warning tones ;)

So far I have not seen the orange banner appear on the DS65. As mentioned above "On the DS65 the Audible Alerts are able to be selectively enabled or disabled. Settings > Driver Assistance > Driver Alerts. " I have them all disabled. They are Animal Crossing, Railroad, Schools and Curves. No orange bar has appeared. No Sound either.

I also just turned off POI alerts and red light cameras. I don't know if that will kill that strange school message I got or if anything can get rid of the parking message I described. I haven't driven to those destinations again since seeing them.
  • Boyd 1992 Points

As mentioned above "On the DS65 the Audible Alerts are able to be selectively enabled or disabled. Settings > Driver Assistance > Driver Alerts. "

The DriveSmart 61 has this exact same menu. But the only thing it does is mute the audio alert. Mine are all disabled too, but the orange banner always appears for everything.

Now maybe they fixed this on the DS 65, so that it completely supresses the alerts? That would be an improvement.
  • Garmin should implement a mandatory alert for all stop signs and street lights to warn the driver with a very loud alarm and big flashing screens. :-&
  • Boyd 1992 Points
    I just wonder where Garmin gets their ideas? Has there been some big outcry of people demanding distracting alerts for every curve in the road? All the comments I've seen about these features have been negative.

I've gotten pretty used to them during the day, but at night, in a dark car, they can be rather startling. At least they could use a darker color in night mode.
  • I find the naivety that they consider they can catch 100% of them and have them up to date on every GPS with more mobile/temporary radar speed traps, variable and time-dependent speed limits, I fail to see how anyone could rely on them, let alone having just one audible sound to alert them all. It is worse than a back seat driver.

If only they had a way of monitoring how many turn them off they may realise.
  • Boyd 1992 Points
    edited January 23
    The data is pretty poor in my rural area. It is always warning me of railroad tracks that have been gone for 10 years or more. Same thing with little schools that were consolidated into larger districts long ago. Then, of course, the school warnings are senseless during the summer when school is not in session.

If Garmin thinks this is really necessary then, whatever. Just provide a menu option to make it all go away, for those of us who want a GPS and not a Nanny. ;)
  • You would think that an off button on all of the alerts and notices would be easy programming.
  • edagrade 3 Points
    Such features are there perhaps as things for the marketing gurus to talk up and make a sale of new products. For many owners, such features could be regarded as gimmicks or even a distracting nuisance, but equally many will find them of some help.
  • edagrade 3 Points
    I love the DS65 for the screen size, view-able angle & clarity over the trusty Nuvi 2597. My passenger can easily see & read the screen when acting as 'co-pilot'.
  • Don't get the idea that I don't like it. I do. I just think that the ability to turn more notices and other things off would make it better.

So far I like the DS65 better than the 61.

I've had so many Garmins going back to the iQue. My very old Nuvi 750 still works. My DS60, Nuvi 3590, Nuvi 3790 eventually died on me. The DS60 fried in the heat. The Nuvi 3590 was bricked by a software/map update. I don't recall what killed the 3790.
  • edagrade 3 Points

Don't get the idea that I don't like it. I do. I just think that the ability to turn more notices and other things off would make it better.

So far I like the DS65 better than the 61.

I've had so many Garmins going back to the iQue. My very old Nuvi 750 still works. My DS60, Nuvi 3590, Nuvi 3790 eventually died on me. The DS60 fried in the heat. The Nuvi 3590 was bricked by a software/map update. I don't recall what killed the 3790.

All good. Yes to turn off some features would be handy. This is only my second GPS. My wife bought me the DS65 & I've not really had opportunity yet to use it much. My Nuvi was awesome & still working perfectly. It endured scorching Australian heat. I ended up giving it to a friend as her car's inbuilt satnav had died.
  • newbieInNY 181 Points
    Looking into new Garmin. Like many posters, the alerts are a feature I could do without. I think I could live with the banners, but the audio would be bothersome. It seems some can be disabled, can anyone list which ones can be disable, and which can't.

Thanks