This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

First impressions DriveSmart 61 vs 65

2»

Comments

• When a decrease in the speed limit is coming up the speed limit data field changes from white to Orange. If you have the volume turned up you can hear a ping. It's easily ignored.

Other than that I mentioned the school thing above. It' stupid but not that bad.

I only see the parking offer come up to one destination I use.

That's all i can think of. The alerts that the DS61 has like RR crossings, animal crossing can be turned off completely.
  • The school thing has only happened when the school is the destination around dismissal time. It does not do a general school zone alert.
  • Boyd 1997 Points

The alerts that the DS61 has like RR crossings, animal crossing can be turned off completely.

You can turn off the audio, but the big orange banners will still appear at the top of the screen. And here's another one I noticed. If you approach one of these things (school, railroad, etc) and have a menu open instead of the map, then you get a big alert box that makes it look like some terrible thing is about to happen, and you have to click to make it go away. Ridiculous.
  • I mean on the DS65. They can be completely suppressed on the 65
  • Boyd 1997 Points
    edited February 7
    OK, I see... that was a rather ambiguous way to say it. :)
  • truckinguy 116 Points
    I have both my 61's to be configured as quiet as possible within garmins menu. I've gotton use to it totally. No big deal.
    I can tell you this 61 I use is a heck of a better navigator to use and listen to then google maps android auto or Waze and puts the $700 built in 2019 F350 unit to shame. Piece of junk that's in my Ford.
  • alanb 555 Points

I have both my 61's to be configured as quiet as possible within garmins menu. I've gotton use to it totally. No big deal.
    I can tell you this 61 I use is a heck of a better navigator to use and listen to then google maps android auto or Waze and puts the $700 built in 2019 F350 unit to shame. Piece of junk that's in my Ford.

I can fully agree with you comparing my DriveLuxe 51 to Google navigation on Android Auto built into my car. Not only do you get more and better information on the Garmin, I find the map display on Google to be very difficult to see for my old eyes because of the low contrast, even though the built in screen is much larger than the Garmin. It is kind of "fun" running the two navigators side by side. For my money, I will choose the Garmin every time.
  • truckinguy 116 Points
    alanb said:

I can fully agree with you comparing my DriveLuxe 51 to Google navigation on Android Auto built into my car. Not only do you get more and better information on the Garmin, I find the map display on Google to be very difficult to see for my old eyes because of the low contrast, even though the built in screen is much larger than the Garmin. It is kind of "fun" running the two navigators side by side. For my money, I will choose the Garmin every time.
    I must be missing something as I can't understand why Ford would put a piece of crap nav unit in a 74k vechile. Does Garmin have a monoply on this software,etc. I wonder who makes the Ford GPS and maps?
  • Boyd 1997 Points
    edited February 16
    Supposedly, Garmin and Ford will introduce a new system later this year. See this:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200107005809/en/

Later this year, next-generation SYNC users will be able to enjoy access to Garmin’s industry-leading navigation features including cloud-based mapping and routing, electric vehicle (EV) routing, range management details, and the latest connected services to facilitate an optimal driving experience.

“We are delighted to embark on our first collaboration with Ford Motor Company and look forward to expanding our offerings across multiple vehicle platforms in the future,” said Matt Munn, Garmin automotive OEM managing director. “The introduction of Garmin’s innovative navigation features to the SYNC platform in the Mach-E will help ensure that Ford’s all electric customer base stays connected at all times.”
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    The Garmin units could still relevant if they added custom traffic issues a la WAZE or Google.
    Why would anyone prefer to use the Nuvi instead of Waze/google when these apps can get realtime traffic information which is right now the single most important piece of information for a GPS Navigation car system?

My "new" car has inbuilt Navigation system and I just use it instead of putting my Driveassist 51 on the windshield.
    Why because they both have the same roads and will navigate me to my destination. Granted the Nuvi display and gui is better, but I dont spend my time looking at the display and both dont get traffic so why bother?

And this is why Garmin car units are obsolete.
  • Boyd 1997 Points
    Zemartelo said:

Why would anyone prefer to use the Nuvi instead of Waze/google when these apps can get realtime traffic information

Garmin discontinued the Nuvi four years ago.

But they have the smartphone link app for realtime traffic data. I'm not saying this makes their dedicated units better, just that current Garmin devices have this capability. Sometime around 2009 I gave my daugher and son in law a Nuvi and they used it for awhile. Evidently it developed a problem eventually and they stopped using it. By then, they no longer owned a car (they live in NYC) and my son in law started using Google for the times they rented one. Today, he uses Waze exclusively when they rent cars and he loves it.

When they visit, he tells me about the routes they took and they often seem just crazy to me, very round-about. But the thing is, they usually get here very quickly, so apparently it works. :)
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    @Boyd, I know that the Garmin devices have the traffic capability via the app. The problem is that it only works in the big cities in the US and a couple in Canada. Waze works everywhere and I can report traffic issues in realtime.
    Thats what Im talking about.
  • mike41 38 Points

So far I like the DS65 better than the 61.

I've had so many Garmins going back to the iQue. My very old Nuvi 750 still works. My DS60, Nuvi 3590, Nuvi 3790 eventually died on me. The DS60 fried in the heat. The Nuvi 3590 was bricked by a software/map update. I don't recall what killed the 3790.

All good. Yes to turn off some features would be handy. This is only my second GPS. My wife bought me the DS65 & I've not really had opportunity yet to use it much. My Nuvi was awesome & still working perfectly. It endured scorching Australian heat. I ended up giving it to a friend as her car's inbuilt satnav had died.

• privet01 227 Points
    edited February 16
    Boyd said:

.........he tells me about the routes they took and they often seem just crazy to me, very round-about. But the thing is, they usually get here very quickly, so apparently it works. :)

Google maps occasionally has a bad habit of finding short cuts after you've started a route. Sometimes they are good but most of the time they are not worth the stop and go or traveling through residential areas with children in the streets for the minute or two quicker they might be. When Google maps suggest these it only gives you a few seconds to respond before it assumes you want to go with their suggestion. If you are busy with other stuff, you might miss the audio and visual prompt about the re-route. I don't like them doing that either. But since I use my Garmin as primary, I'm aware of the change.

My son only uses Google maps and on a recent segment going through Kansas, it took him off a perfectly good interstate for several hours of travel on state roads going through many small towns. I laughed at their misfortune too.

• truckinguy 116 Points
    I would bet the Ford Garmin combo isn't going to be as good as Garmin is now. And again. I have Waze,Googlemaps,my 2019 F350 built in gps and If I had to take just one it would be the Drivesmart 61 any day of the week. I drive about 35 or 40 k miles a year all over the USA and on many busihttps://www.facebook.com/daltonridgerunners/?__tn__=kC-R&eid=ARApX_DqzoQYTkPx741X_twl6OVZxfshJt4Qcrndp7nCgGzCvuf_tsRD08a7vQhv9EMbgc0ovDO22sZ6&hc_ref=ARSVYFuqXKJBLuD7g7y0TQL97hGBRqRod5re-4BFYUV6GPy91-vnfh97fF8Zxn_6hnQ&fref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARAD0rH_D8qrJRaHIF4c1rgdFRNvF886jKR85G_fnIqczWTNnONEmilf-s_EOYbTufqO-5FiuQUpa53ACKtoH7DYFxorArNS8wChP5HcW7tACz-1kzT9KzuTpuauUO6RYLM9j3isATKX6lw3HWF7xbPjkRPl4nFQZgf7CcSL8kiRaoKM-4cS_UhClkmGLAAZTLmW73Gg9RqNxb0IDoRprj095ggox5UtOI-DkcHr6ObjCJ4SOobXJI576s7wkSjuv6XULFtABcOWVMi-lKSk1V0MP0mF0cGaTclZJk3tPf7I4ISPvZwSrpgCqE30xqM4NyGrPlf6oIbIWhSpxHEness trips which (customers) I have combined into the Drivesmart database. Not to mention everyother homemade route and type of waypoints you can think of. The Drivesmart handles it perfectly teamed with my E6530 Dell.