This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Deleted GMAPPROM.IMG from Etrex20x... free space not created on device

Hello,

I was looking to load a Talkytoaster map ( TT50-BRITISH-ISLES+CONTOURS-DEM.IMG ) onto the internal memory of my Etrex20x.

So I have dragged off the Etrex20x internal memory the file GMAPPROM.IMG (file size 3.51gb) thinking this was the file holding the basic garmin maps.

However the Etrex20x has not relinquished the free space I thought would be created by dragging off the GMAPPROM.IMG file... I am told only 300 mb is free...

And as a result now I cannot copy back onto the Extrex20x either the GMAPPROM.IMG or the TT50-BRITISH-ISLES+CONTOURS-DEM.IMG files.

Most annoying... anyone any ideas how to fix this ?

The issue could be bypassed by the installation of a micro sd card with the TT50-BRITISH-ISLES+CONTOURS-DEM.IMG file on the sd card...

However I also had problems earlier on today with the Etrex20x not being able to 'see' and load the Talkytoaster .IMG file from my brand new Sandisk 32 gb micro sd card... I suspect the micro sd card was corrupted as I could not format this card on either my mac or pc

A new micro sd card is on it's way to me.

When it rains etc etc... thanks for any tips.

Comments

• Boyd 2009 Points
    edited March 25
    gmapprom.img is the standard name for pre-installed maps on Garmin devices. If you really deleted it, then it is gone and the memory should be freed up. Are you using a Mac perhaps? If so, the file will not actually be removed, it will just be placed in the trash. The space *should* automatically be released if you copy another file to the device. If not, manually empty the trash in the Finder.

Another solution is the free CleanEject program from Javawa

http://www.javawa.nl/cleaneject_en.html

Now, this only applies if you are using a Mac. If you are on Windows, I'm not sure what is going on.
  • mjsc 1 Point
    Boyd said:

gmapprom.img is the standard name for pre-installed maps on Garmin devices. If you really deleted it, then it is gone and the memory should be freed up. Are you using a Mac perhaps? If so, the file will not actually be removed, it will just be placed in the trash. The space *should* automatically be released if you copy another file to the device. If not, manually empty the trash in the Finder.

Another solution is the free CleanEject program from Javawa

http://www.javawa.nl/cleaneject_en.html

Now, this only applies if you are using a Mac. If you are on Windows, I'm not sure what is going on.

Hello & thanks - you are right; the Etrex20x was connected to my mac, I viewed the Extrex20x in Finder, I then emptied the Trash and this then freed the space on the Etrex20x allowing me to copy back to same the GMAPPROM.IMG file.

Great help !
  • Boyd 2009 Points
    Cool! B-)