This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

No cigarette lighter socket to plug in ??????

Hi
Hope you can help me....... I have a 2018 Cadillac with no way to plug in the Garmin GPS..... Do I have any options ?

Ron

Comments

• Tim 1497 Points
    Does it have USB power? If so you could pickup a USB Port to Car Cigarette Lighter Female Socket.
  • alanb 557 Points
    edited June 11
    I didn't realize such a device existed that would step up from 5 V to 12 V. I wonder if there would be enough amps to drive the Garmin Power adapter and device though? It certainly would be worth a try.
  • Boyd 2027 Points
    edited June 11
    Is there perhaps a cigarette-lighter-type socket somewhere "hidden" in the car, such as a compartment in the center console, or in the back seat? My car has several sockets like this, just for powering equipment That plug has been a standard for many years, it would surprise me to see a car that didn't have one somewhere, although I know nothing about Cadillacs. My 2017 Volkswagen has 4 of these outlets throughout the car.

Anyway, have you tried powering the GPS directly with a USB cable (in other words, don't use the Garmin power adapter at all)? This has worked fine on my car with a couple different Garmin GPS'es. However, IIRC it did't always shut down or start up automatically, and I was concerned something might make it turn on all by itself and run down my battery, so I use the Garmin adapter now.
  • rphillipchuk 191 Points
    edited June 11
    alanb said:

I didn't realize such a device existed that would step up from 5 V to 12 V. I wonder if there would be enough amps to drive the Garmin Power adapter and device though? It certainly would be worth a try.

Is there anyone here who has tried this ? I have thoroughly checked the car for a cigarette lighter...

What is "IIRC" ?
  • sussamb 941 Points
    If I recall correctly...
  • Chris_Sav 129 Points
    Should be ok on amps as, at the end of the day, GPS will run on USB power anyway.

You don't say what model Cadillac but https://www.cadillacforums.com/threads/2017-xt5-cigarette-lighter.940922/ suggests there likely is a socket
  • OldGeezer 52 Points
    Check your owners manual for 12-volt "accessory power outlets", or ask a Cadillac dealer. A lot of newer vehicles don't have cigarette lighters, but they do have the power sockets (covered) at multiple locations as standard equipment. My car doesn't have a cigarette lighter, but it does have four sockets. On the instrument panel below the climate controls, inside the center floor console, at the rear of the center floor console, and in the rear cargo area. Because of the cover it might not be obvious what they are. Look for a disk shaped cover about 1" across, likely a contrasting color from the surrounding interior.
  • privet01 230 Points
    My older Garmin's go straight into storage mode when I connect them to my computer. But my newer DriveSmart 61 lmts gives an option to cancel out of that.

Never thought about trying the USB connection in the car. Don't know how much amperage it wants so if any USB connections in the car are designated for charging, those might be better to use so there is the possibility of keeping the units battery charged.

However, if I didn't have any cigar lighter or extra 12 volt power outlets as @OldGeezer describes, I'd add them. Easy to do, and they can be left hidden under the seat or dash if you don't care to mount them and put holes in the trim panels potentially devaluing your vehicles resale value. I have too many other things that will only use them.
    Update :

Found it !!!!!!!!! a weird place, hidden from view , in the middle of the console. You really have to feel around for it...

This group saved my ass again.......... GREAT GROUP of Users here

Thanks all
  • Boyd 2027 Points
    edited June 12
    Great! Like I said, it would be surprising to see a car that doesn't have a 12v outlet somewhere, since so many accessories still use them.
  • sussamb 941 Points
    I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned in your car's manual.
    sussamb said:

I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned in your car's manual.

It probably was , but I am guilty of not "RTFM" .... :-). I will be more diligent

• DerekW 232 Points
    In my car there is a 230v socket as well as several 12v cigarette lgnition sockets.