This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmins Overlander GPS

Hello all...

I just became a new member and seek your advise! I have purchased this $$$$ Garmin Overlander GPS. I like it and it seems to serve my purpose of overland travels in our 2010 Sprinter. The problem I have is that in the "Explore" map I get this black line from somewhere to my current position and it does not go away which is annoying. All attempts have been made to erase: tracks, travel history, etc. to no avail! Previous Constant Garmin chat advise did not help, so I am seeking yours! This can be had on any GPS.

Am posting some screen shots here for your observation and analysis:

image

image

image

Thank you

Comments

  • Boyd 2027 Points
    Welcome to the site and congratulations on the new Overlander - you are actually the first person I've heard from who has one. Unfortunately, I doubt you will get much help here for that reason. However, on other Garmin devices, that sort of behavior is generally a track from the last location to your current location. You said you had cleared the track log, but have you tried turning off tracking or hiding the track? That might at least confirm that it is a track you're seeing.
  • UeberLand 5 Points
    Thank you for the welcome. Never had tracking on. I am sure very, very few will obtain this Overlander unit due to costs...many prefer the GAIA way. For me it seems too cumbersome downloading GAIA maps and one has to seek WiFi establishments.

    Regarding the solid, straight black line. This line was following me in the Explorer topo map just about anywhere;-- into oblivion! NO one from Garmin could solve it!? SO out of frustation I totally reset the unit to factory specs and more, then of course I had to add much data, profile, WiFi all over again.

    PRESTO, the line is gone \m/ . Just hope it isn't a Garmin glitch and doesn't come back on my way from Arizona to do some Fly Fishing in Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho.

    cheers...
  • Boyd 2027 Points
    edited June 23
    The other possibility is that it's a route I suppose. If you use direct routing, it will draw a line from the start point to your current location. And perhaps the "start point" was Garmin Headquarters. ;). (seriously, they have included waypoints for their offices in many of the devices I've bought in the past)
  • privet01 230 Points
    edited June 24
    I thought it kind of looks like the line that I'd get when I use the rocker pad on my gpsMap 76 csx to move the pointer out and mark a waypoint on the map or see what distance and bearing something was from me on the map. If I moved the pointer on the device by accident and got that line I'd just have to hit the *quit* button to make it go away.

    Certainly I'm talking 15 year old tech and stuff. I've no idea if the Overlander does anything like this. However if it is in a this mode, or similar mode, then the map probably does not move as you change locations. If your maps is moving, then just consider me as babbling for my own benefit.
  • UeberLand 5 Points
    UeberLand said:

    Thank you for the welcome. Never had tracking on. I am sure very, very few will obtain this Overlander unit due to costs...many prefer the GAIA way. For me it seems too cumbersome downloading GAIA maps and one has to seek WiFi establishments.

    Regarding the solid, straight black line. This line was following me in the Explorer topo map just about anywhere;-- into oblivion! NO one from Garmin could solve it!? SO out of frustation I totally reset the unit to factory specs and more, then of course I had to add much data, profile, WiFi all over again.

    PRESTO, the line is gone \m/ . Just hope it isn't a Garmin permanent glitch and doesn't come back on my way from Arizona to do some Fly Fishing in Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho.

    cheers...

    privet01 said:

    I thought it kind of looks like the line that I'd get when I use the rocker pad on my gpsMap 76 csx to move the pointer out and mark a waypoint on the map or see what distance and bearing something was from me on the map. If I moved the pointer on the device by accident and got that line I'd just have to hit the *quit* button to make it go away.

    Certainly I'm talking 15 year old tech and stuff. I've no idea if the Overlander does anything like this. However if it is in a this mode, or similar mode, then the map probably does not move as you change locations. If your maps is moving, then just consider me as babbling for my own benefit.

  • UeberLand 5 Points
    Hhmmnn... never set up a route or set up tracking When having received the unit, I simply went for a ride to see what the "Drive" mapping looks like then even push "Explore" where it displays the units preloaded Topographic maps of the area. All went well!. Shut it down for the day. Restarted it again next day and lo and behold saw this black line in "Explore" only, thus the help request within the GPS community. Upon their request have send Garmin support a screen shot....have yet to hear from them for 2 days.

    Since I have totally reset the unit back to factory specifications it seems to work sans black line. Just hope it doesn't come back?

    Many thanks for your input, much appreciated

    Cheers...
  • Boyd 2027 Points
    Hey, as long as it works then just use it and be happy! :D
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    edited June 24
    I still dont understand why Garmin keeps selling their products with such a hefty price tag.
    Its just not GPS its all their products.

    How can they still have a market with these prices?
  • UeberLand 5 Points
    Zemartelo said:

    I still dont understand why Garmin keeps selling their products with such a hefty price tag.
    Its just not GPS its all their products.

    How can they still have a market with these prices?

    I doubt they'll be selling this unit in droves. Won't be surprised they might slowly discontinue the product or starting to discount it!

    Most definitely those who tend to chase overland excursions will go the GAIA way or even iPhones barring data connectivity.

    cheers...

  • Boyd 2027 Points
    Zemartelo said:

    How can they still have a market with these prices?

    Because people like @UeberLand will buy them? Seriously, I think the Overlander is pretty cool although I have no need for it. I hope he will post his impressions here after using it for awhile.

    Yes, it is really expensive but obviously you (and I) are not their target. We discussed the Overlander on a local website last year, here's an interesting response that I got:
    __________________________

    When folks are dropping 40-50K+ for one of the new offroad equipped trucks coming on the market, $600 is nothing. Even if they won't go 'offroad', as most won't. Chevy just released the ZR2 Bison, Ford has their Raptor and a soon to be released baby Raptor, Chrysler has their Power Wagon; all cost megabucks and most won't even get dirty ;) Its all about who has the best toy. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes offered as an option to their current in-dash selections.
  • UeberLand 5 Points
    Aaarrgghh... I've taken the bait !!?? Hhmnn.. like I said didn't want to mess with the GAIA map downloads, etc.

    Finally heard from Garmin via e-mail. As always they introduced links to solving the problem without actual live direct conversation. All they said is "turn off your Tracking", which has been off ever since yet it still tracks internally??

    Okay, guys will give you my direct evaluation when leaving for some Fishin' up North in mid July. Also plan on visiting a Sprinter Adventure Conversion gathering in Missoula, Montana, July 11-13. Hope that these States don bar AZ visitors as I guess we're a hot spot by now.

    Cheers
  • privet01 230 Points
    I always find it best to call Garmin Support. Then you can quickly dispense with the "is it plugged in" emails and all the other stuff that support has to do to eliminate the less tech savvy.

    Usually, pre-covid, when I've called them they have a long hold time, but they offer an option to call you back. And they do it based on when your call will have been answered if you'd stayed on the phone in the queue. I've done this several times in the past six or more years and it works very well.

    The Garmin rep will stay on the phone as long as you need them and frequently you will get little odd things resolved.

    But this is just FYI.... I thought you said your issue was resolved.
  • UeberLand 5 Points
    privet01 said:

    I always find it best to call Garmin Support. Then you can quickly dispense with the "is it plugged in" emails and all the other stuff that support has to do to eliminate the less tech savvy.

    Usually, pre-covid, when I've called them they have a long hold time, but they offer an option to call you back. And they do it based on when your call will have been answered if you'd stayed on the phone in the queue. I've done this several times in the past six or more years and it works very well.

    The Garmin rep will stay on the phone as long as you need them and frequently you will get little odd things resolved.

    But this is just FYI.... I thought you said your issue was resolved.

    Yes, the issue was resolved after I reset it to factory specs.

    Haven't told you this: I am deaf thus it is difficult to have a video sign language interpreter stand by on hold with Garmin. Garmin often hangs up when they realize that it was not me speaking but thru an interpreter; might have their unfounded suspicions??

    So I use CHAT..where they often put me on hold and search their literature for assistance that comes back in web site links.

    cheers...

  • UeberLand 5 Points
    Hello GPSers

    Done 1400 miles...and currently in Missoula, MT... so far on the $$$$ Outlander GPS. So far so good in the "Drive" mode. Set it to avoid all Interstates and only backroads; gravel; BLM, Forest Roads; loging roads... all seem to be doing its job. Does so much without having to look at paper maps(still do them anyway).. The Topos are fine and display all possible roads side by side BUT this pesky "black" straight line across from where you came form to current location is always on display( cannot be removed). Total annoyance!! Garmin has no clue!

    cheers
  • privet01 230 Points
    edited July 11
    I'm still wondering if you have a pointer moved out to measure distance or bearing from your current location.

    On my GPS's, marine, handheld, automotive and even cycling the current location is at the bottom center of the screen. Unless you have moved the pointer with the toggles to a different location on the map. At the time you do this, a line is shown that connects the pointer with your current location.

    Have you ever tried to scroll the map to see if the line has another end? Or does it just go to the edge of the known world and fall off? <<grin>>
  • Boyd 2027 Points
    edited July 12
    Was just looking at some reviews and video for the Overlander. Looks like a very interesting product, if it had come along 10 years ago I probably would have gotten one. Apparently it is an Android device and the videos show that it is definitely faster than Garmin's other automotive units. And the mapping also seems different from what they offer on their other devices, they are (evidently) using real USGS topo's, perhaps these are the same as Birdseye Topo however. The really interesting thing is that it apparently does not use City Navigator for on-road navigation, it seems to use OpenStreetMap. I guess that saves them some money on licensing from HERE?

    Anyway - back on topic - I did not see any video that shows the problem the OP is having, and none of the reviewers mentioned it either. If I had an Overlander right here in front of me, I suspect I could solve this mystery. Perhaps it is related to a hidden feature in the development menus that most Garmin devices have? Regardless, it's a disgrace that Garmin couldn't solve this for you and you have been way too patient. If they can't tell you how to fix it, I would return it under warranty and insist that they send a replacement that works properly.

    Enjoy your travels, sounds like you are giving the Overlander a good workout and having fun! :)
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    Are there different drive modes available like car, bike, pedestrian etc?
    Is the end of the line fixed on a map point? Does it move?
  • UeberLand 5 Points
    privet01 said:

    I'm still wondering if you have a pointer moved out to measure distance or bearing from your current location.

    On my GPS's, marine, handheld, automotive and even cycling the current location is at the bottom center of the screen. Unless you have moved the pointer with the toggles to a different location on the map. At the time you do this, a line is shown that connects the pointer with your current location.

    Have you ever tried to scroll the map to see if the line has another end? Or does it just go to the edge of the known world and fall off? <<grin>>

  • UeberLand 5 Points
    Hi Guys....

    Still hanging around Missoula...Fly Fishing.. ...got 3 light bites and 1 heavy bite, but all fought and got away. I am using barb less Fly Fishing.... ahem!! Moving on about Montana for a while as I have a 10 day fishing license only in Montana.

    On the Outlander, I mostly use the "Drive" approach as the "Drive" ("Explore" does not) has this dispersed Campground collection whenever you enter said State; pretty good, only a few are missing, but those "missing" will eventually show up as you approach an unknown calm ground. What it does not always say..."free"; often there's a small fee for NFS ($3-6.00 per day-16 day limit).

    The Topographic ("Explore" only show terrain); maps are good too, it shows side roads from dirt or gravel main roads. Does not show Camp sites. Does indeed show a gazillion side roads: not necessarily passable; steep; often 1-way. Does not show elevation unless you go back to "Drive", touch your vehicle position/location on the map and elevations pop up. Topos are okay but much more useful if you add this $$$ Garmin inReach.

    priveto1 Somehow the "black" line that goes over the cliff and end of the world is GONE. Hmmnn..maybe Garmin rectified it while they're monitoring me..????

    Zemartelo-- the Overlander is primarily a Auto GPS device.

    Boyd Overlander seems to use City Navigator in the "Drive" mode but much more enhanced and accessible. Pretty elaborate I must say. My old Garmin had this habit of re-zooming back to my current vehicle at 0.3 miles. The Overlander lets me stay at 3 miles for better terrain views and ahead attractions. Forgot to tell you all in "Drive" they always(most of the time) display campgrounds, NFS, BLM, etc ahead of you. Want to see commercial campgrounds then you will have to tell it.



    Cheers
  • Boyd 2027 Points
    edited July 14
    Are you sure they are City Navigator maps? Does it actually say "City Navigator" in the credits and mention HERE.com? I have read in multiple places that the maps are from OpenStreetMap. And in the Overlander Q&A at gpscity, they said Garmin does not specify the source of the maps.

    Also, I just read that those detailed topo maps are actually the old DeLorme Topo USA product. That would make sense, Garmin bought DeLorme awhile ago.

    Why do you say the Topo would be more useful with an inReach? I thought that was just a satellite communicator and it had nothing to do with maps.

    Glad you're having fun. :)
  • DaveM 161 Points
    OpenStreetMap wouldn't surprise me. Garmin has been using OSM maps on their Edge bike GPSs since they came out.
  • Boyd 2027 Points
    You know, the other thing that really strikes me about the Overlander is that it's an Android device. I suppose this should be no surprise, but clearly Garmin has nice Android apps that could be sold separately. For $100, I might just buy an Overlander app for my Android tablet. But, of course, Garmin is not going to do that. They will protect their hardware business until the end.
    :O)
  • UeberLand 5 Points
    Hi all...

    Am finally home after some 4700 miles bumming around: Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Colorado. The $$$$ Overlander in my opinion did very well especially the "Explore" (topographic maps). Once you get to your destination within 50 miles the topo will come into play as well does the "Drive" where it lists all "Ultimate Public Campground" without commercial RV Camp sides. Although you can still access commercial RV campgrounds by choosing "PlanRV Parks".

    While "Ultimate Public Campgrounds" are fine, many so called "dispersed" are often not there but simply are pull over sides from the main the road or even NOT accessible/closed. Garmin Updates ???!

    While driving under "Drive" the Overlander does show many upcoming campground sites: NFS, BLM, State. Some campgrounds are not there while the Overlander says its there!

    We set our GPS not to use Interstates, the Overlander often gives us largely exaggerated long back roads although there are still some shorter routes available. Many routes might not be shown on "Drive" through the mountains but is available by reading your paper charts.... so one uses the topo which shows the route but no distance indication-no campground indication-no time of travel needed to end of road indication. Many rural side roads are also private access roads.

    The suction cup does just fine and always needs to be "re-sucted" each morning. The magnetic connection never failed even on very rough roads.

    So far so good...

    Cheers...

  • Boyd 2027 Points
    edited August 7
    Glad it is working out. Today, Garmin introduced the Montana 750i, which looks a lot like a handheld version of the Overlander. http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/31498/garmin-introduces-the-montana-750i#latest
Sign In or Register to comment.
↑ Top