This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Brand new garmin100k map doesn’t display on Oregon 750

Had this problem with a used 24k map Micro SD -just got brand new garmin 100k topo and again I’m not seeing anything that looks different than the world basemap. When I zoom to 20’ it’s practically empty space so can’t be the topo. Ready to return the map and give up. Anyone know what’s wrong?
Thanks

Comments

• Boyd 2009 Points
    edited July 23
    Could be related to the profile setting, there are some old bugs there that I'm not sure were ever fixed. IIRC, what you had to do was change your profile setting to something different from your current setting. Then change it to the recreational profile. Or something like that....

Are you sure there isn't a problem with the memory card slot?
  • Well the 100k map is listed under configure maps, and is enabled, and the first time I turned it on after installing it , it took several seconds on “ loading maps” Also when manipulating the basemap to look for a detail image of woods near my house it said batteries too low to show shard detail use lithium or NiHa - so perhaps it’s that- the NiHa are charging overnight so will see tomorrow. Curiously, I can find no way in settings to switch battery type- it was there originally but is gone now.
  • Boyd 2009 Points
    The fact that the map is listed doesn't matter with the bug I described. I believe that "profiles" are now called "activities" on the Oregon. Which activity is the GPS set for? Try changing it to something else then exit the menu. Now go back to the menu and choose hiking and see if that makes a difference.

BTW, I wanted to look at the manual, but Garmin's site is broken right now. If I go here

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/c12521-p1.html

and click on any of the handhelds, I get a screen that says this

"You seem to be lost.
    Let us help you find your way."

Thanks Garmin. :O)
  • Changing activity modes had no effect.

I sent a note to the seller for help
    Gps city.
  • privet01 229 Points
    You can also call garmin support. 1 (800) 800-1020

There'll likely be a wait time. However their VRU will take your callback number and then when your turn comes up in the queue the CSR will call you back. I've used it a fair number of times and it works well.

Much better talking with someone than back and forth emails that get you nothing but the pat answers and suggestions.... IE "make sure your device in on"
  • Boyd 2009 Points
    privet01 said:

You can also call garmin support.

Not today! :-O

"Smartwatch and wearables maker Garmin has shut down several of its services on July 23 to deal with a ransomware attack that has encrypted its internal network and some production systems.
    ---------
    In messages shared on its website and Twitter, Garmin said the same outage also impacted its call centers, leaving the company in the situation of being unable to answer calls, emails, and online chats sent by users."

https://www.zdnet.com/article/garmin-services-and-production-go-down-after-ransomware-attack/#ftag=CAD-03-10abf5f

• Got 24k topo maps to display finally.
    Without garmin help ( they have their own problems). So the big change occurred when I changed map setting to normal speed from fast. Now I can get either map card to display the map and I’m using the 24k for the extra detail. Had requested to return the unit but then ended my return request once I figured out the problem.
    Thanks for your help on this.
  • deserteagle56 189 Points
    Are you using the 24k maps for hiking?

My experience is (for the western states, at least) that the 100k maps are more up to date than the 24k. I can show you multiple examples of primitive roads/trails that appear on my 100k maps that do not appear on the 24k. The 24k maps have more topo (elevation) lines so helpful if hiking in mountainous terrain but that's it. And the 24k maps are routable which the 100k are not.
  • I am using the maps for metal detecting which involves looking for areas of colonial habitation and homesites. So it is possible ,even likely That I will lose track of my position. I just want to explore without worrying about getting lost. The maps are to see which direction I want to go - how far to the river, or if there’s an old road to follow where homes may have existed.
    I will certainly give the 100k a trial and see which I prefer.
  • Boyd 2009 Points
    edited August 1
    LIDAR imagery is what you really need for finding old home sites, Garmin does not offer that. I have made quite a few maps based on LIDAR and am building a new site where you can view it in three dimensions and tweak the settings to reveal hidden details. I only cover my own region however, it involves a lot of data and a lot of time to make this kind of map. Not aware of anybody else who offers maps like this, but have not really looked either

https://boydsmaps.com
  • deserteagle56 189 Points
    For what you are doing I think you'll find Google Earth Pro very handy. The satellite imagery will show roads that used to exist if they are not completely overgrown with vegetation. I use it often when checking out old mining locations here in Nevada. It is easy to create gpx tracks highlighting those old roads/trails; import those gpx tracks into Basecamp and then send them to your gps unit so you can actually walk the tracks.
  • Lidar would be fantastic. Google earth is good but in my area the vegetation Of the forest obscures most of what I’m seeking. I do study it for what I can get. I saw that you can get garmin birds eye sat maps by region on micro SD. I am finding the 24k topos useful on my hikes
  • Boyd 2009 Points
    $30/year for unlimited Birdseye is a very good deal IMO (compared to Garmin other outrageous prices). Unless you have a really slow internet connection, that makes more sense than getting cards. You can continue using everything you download forever, even after your subscription expires. However, it will be locked to the original GPS.

LIDAR is really much better for finding hidden things, it sees right through all the vegetation. I am using bare-earth LIDAR for my maps and it even sees right through buildings, what you see are actually the basements!
  • I have the free 1-year subscription I have to get a windows based laptop so i can use it. Question- can you change season to winter satellite images? Then the landscape will show as opposed to just the impenetrable canopy.
  • Boyd 2009 Points
    Unfortunately, Birdseye "is what it is". Varies from location to location, in many cases they use Digital Globe satellite imagery. IMO, that is usually not so great. Here in NJ, the state shoots nice imagery in the winter and Birdseye uses that, since it is free. Can't remember, what state are you in? Most states have free imagery available for download. These can be made into Garmin maps, but you need to know how.

I forgot you were a Linux user. I'm afraid you will be a "second class citizen" when it comes to Garmin. However, I think that qGIS is available for Linux. It is a very powerful GIS program that can be very useful for making your own maps. Not easy to learn however, and tends to be somewhat buggy. But it is free and open source

https://qgis.org/en/site/
  • Boyd 2009 Points
    edited August 2
    Actually, looking at your old thread I see you're using a chromebook, not Linux. However, looks like it is still possible to run Qgis in a dual-boot setup.

https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/mastering-geospatial-development/9781788999892/76b9e4f7-2969-4045-85ba-bbd6c8eba7f3.xhtml

I suppose it's a little too late now, but if you are not using WIndows or MacOS then the GPSMap 66 series may have been a better choice for you.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/598408

These devices are compatible with Garmin's Explore web app that runs in any browser and also a smartphone app. This is Garmin's new direction but they are only gradually moving their handhelds this way. IMO, it's a clear sign of where Garmin is headed, and Basecamp seems destined to become like Mapsource is today - something that they still make available but no longer update or support. They've already made the first step down that trail by discontinuing Basecamp development.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=Pem8APOlI03qXEb3czosX6

The Overlander is an automotive device that uses this new system, you can download maps and manage the device directly, without connecting to a computer. It is actually an Android device. Am waiting to see when Garmin introduces the equavalent of this as a handheld. The GPSMap 66 comes close, but it doesn't have a touchscreen.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/685257