This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

2021.10 NT EU problems

Hi,

This one FINALLY came yesterday, but I cannot install it... 4 times have I tried, 4 times have it failed..

I've tried with a SD card with old map on, and an empty (7,95GB free) SD card.

Using Garmin Express v7.1.3.0 (latest)

Any ideas?

Comments

• sussamb 941 Points
    Where is it failing? What error?

Just downloaded ok for me
  • FuxieDK 86 Points
    edited September 5
    It just fails. Red band in the top, saying "Something went wrong" or something (danish version), not specific or error number .. Somewhere between 20 and 48%

I'm up to 12 tries now
  • FuxieDK 86 Points
    Have tried all of the steps, no change in result.
  • sussamb 941 Points
    Last suggestion is you google Garmin cloning method and try that. If that doesn't work try calling Product Support.
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    Try formating the sd card in the GPS if possible if not int he computer before starting the install.
    Then delete the downloaded files so that it is forced to start fresh.
    I would use at least a 16gb sd card.
  • Boyd 2027 Points
    Zemartelo said:

Try formating the sd card in the GPS if possible

Why would that make any difference?
  • FuxieDK 86 Points
    edited September 6
    Zemartelo said:

Try formating the sd card in the GPS if possible if not int he computer before starting the install.

I had tried both with the old files on the SD and tried removing them (moved them to my computer), but not directly formatting the card.

Neither helped..

However, im my 23rd (if I have counted correctly) attempt, I got past the seemingly magic 49% barrier, because when I reached 50%, it stopped downloading and started to copy the files to the GPS.

I am not the happy owner of an updated GPS unit....... Only to get a laugh, when I powered up the unit, and got a message that my map (2021.10 indeed) was over 1 year old and should be updated :D

Also, why 16GB? Maximum filesize on FAT32 is 4GB (map is 3,96GB) so the remaining 4GB (of my 8GB card) is mooooore than enough for those small files.
  • privet01 230 Points
    I've had some odd-ball map install failures to my nuvi's, drivesmarts and other Garmin devices that give the ""Something went wrong". These were the full north america maps.

At the time, I was using wifi to my macbook with Garmin Express. Even though I don't have much lag and get good download speeds with the wifi, there is a lot of congestion from neighbors in the area.

So as an experiment, I connected my macbook with a Ethernet cable to the network and the updates went much quicker and I've not had that message or any issues since as long a I use a wired connection to the internet.

YMMV
  • Zemartelo 207 Points
    FuxieDK said:

Zemartelo said:

I had tried both with the old files on the SD and tried removing them (moved them to my computer), but not directly formatting the card.

Neither helped..

However, im my 23rd (if I have counted correctly) attempt, I got past the seemingly magic 49% barrier, because when I reached 50%, it stopped downloading and started to copy the files to the GPS.

I am not the happy owner of an updated GPS unit....... Only to get a laugh, when I powered up the unit, and got a message that my map (2021.10 indeed) was over 1 year old and should be updated :D

Also, why 16GB? Maximum filesize on FAT32 is 4GB (map is 3,96GB) so the remaining 4GB (of my 8GB card) is mooooore than enough for those small files.
    Only 3.96GB for the whole Europe? I remember not too long ago that a 4GB was not enough to install it.
    Maybe they compressed it better?

Anyway the 4gb is per filesize not the card size. You can have a 128Gb formated to Fat32 as well if you wish, but you will only be able to save files up to 4gb in size.

• sussamb 941 Points
    The complete EU map is split into two map files, North and South. If you only have one then you don't have the whole of the EU map.
  • FuxieDK 86 Points
    Zemartelo said:

FuxieDK said:

Zemartelo said:

Neither helped..

Only 3.96GB for the whole Europe? I remember not too long ago that a 4GB was not enough to install it.
    Maybe they compressed it better?

Anyway the 4gb is per filesize not the card size. You can have a 128Gb formated to Fat32 as well if you wish, but you will only be able to save files up to 4gb in size.
    sussamb said:

The complete EU map is split into two map files, North and South. If you only have one then you don't have the whole of the EU map.

I did write 4GB filesize..

The entire update was 6,01GB and the biggest file is 3,96GB. It is entire Europe

Remember, it's the NT version for old units, not NTU which is bigger.
  • FuxieDK 86 Points
    edited September 9
    I have Tromsø in Norway (north), Valetta in Malta (south), Aldeia Nove-Avintes in Portugal (west) and Poltava in Ukraine (east) on the map.. And everything in between..

Pretty safe to it's all of Europe.
  • sussamb 941 Points
    edited September 9
    Yep, should read the detail, missed the NT bit :))

Have you tried the cloning method?
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    "...got a message that my map (2021.10 indeed) was over 1 year old and should be updated."
    I get this message whenever I update my NA map. Without exception. It needs to be ignored! I just check the map info on the device itself; that is always accurate.

Garmin's software has a lot to be desired.
  • sussamb 941 Points
    It'll give you that message if you've only installed a subset of your map, do you have the full map installed?
  • FuxieDK 86 Points
    sussamb said:

It'll give you that message if you've only installed a subset of your map, do you have the full map installed?

Full map
  • sussamb 941 Points
    Weird then
  • Ramaprem 112 Points
    What ^ said:
    Full map.
    Weird then.
  • olam 0 Points
    I have tried many times now top install EU 2021.10, it seems to be there but doesnt show in the display. The stupid and stone-age deinstallation of G Express for mac didnt help, as expected. I assume one should manualøly rmove maps from the unit?