This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

"How smartphones are slowly killing GPS"

Not a bad report, covers Garmin's history and their current position in the market. Automotive devices are no longer a major market segment for Garmin, but they are trying to have a stronger presence in built-in systems. They state that Magellan is still a Garmin competitor for handheld/outdoor GPS, which I don't believe is true anymore. AFAIK, Magellan exited that business quite awhile ago... didn't they?

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/10/03/how-garmin-is-competing-with-google-maps-iphone-android-and-magellan.html

Comments

• privet01 231 Points
    I have no clue, but I suspect that the built-in gps and map display in my wife's car is a Magellan product. I've not noticed that Garmin has grabbed any of that type market. So if Magellan is getting revenue from that line, it could be significant. I also suspect Magellan has been marketing more to fleet type operations. Garmin, I've only known to go direct to the end-user.

Though you'd think using android auto or the iPhone equivalent to connect your phones GPS to the car's display would be the thing to do, I actually like the cars built in GPS interface better. Of course map updates are an issue they need to figure out. Google's being free, Garmin's free for those that spend a tad more for lifetime maps. You'd think a 50, 0000 dollar car would have some room in the price for lifetime updates.
  • gatorguy 329 Points
    edited October 2020
    Garmin was involved with Dodge but I don't know if they are still.

Edit: Yes they are. See UConnect.

On a sidenote the highly anticipated 2021 GMC Hummer (what a cool vehicle but geesh the price!) will heavily integrate Google maps and services, including using Android for the operating system.
  • spectric 2 Points
    The problem with "smartphones" is that they are not that smart. You get nice large screens with good resolution but no good if you want point selection, designed for fingers not stylus's. There primary function is a phone, the GPS is secondary and works ok for car navigation systems where the maps are not detailed and it can have assistance from the phone network mask. These systems do not place a position on a map but rather ensure the map correlates to the position, accuracy is the road. The issue is that people are using them as if they are a true GNSS solution and thinking GPS units are obsolete but these smart phones have got people into real life threatening situations when in in remote areas.