This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Process for Adding EU Subscription to a US DriveSmart 65

What the process? Or is there not a way to do this anymore?

Wanting to use my new DriveSmart 65 (replacing an 8 year old nuvi 2475) on both sides of the pond.

Do I buy the City Navigator® Europe NTU for $99.99 and then the nüMaps Subscription Europe on top of that for $109.99, especially in view of the Garmin warning:

"This product only can be used to update the preloaded maps that came installed on your device. For example, a device preloaded with North America maps cannot be updated with a nüMaps Europe subscription, and vice versa."

......A Garmin owner since 2007

Comments

• Boyd 2043 Points
    edited December 2020
    I think you have to purchase here

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/743228

But I'm not sure if you can buy lifetime updates for anything but the preloaded maps. They used to sell them separately, but you may not be able to do that anymore. IIRC, this was a change they made when the DVD versions were discontinued a number of years ago. You could call or e-mail Garmin to find out for sure, unless somebody else here knows.
  • privet01 231 Points
    What's the part number of the map you are looking at? You might be on the wrong page and are seeing that for map updates. You are needing to purchase a completely new map to add to your device.

I didn't see that verbiage on the pages for the product @Boyd linked. But I didn't look at everything closely. However to be more certain, you can always call Garmin. Leave your callback number when ask and you won't have to be on hold for sometimes an hour. They call you back when your turn in queue comes up.

If you don't need all the features the DS 65 gives you then you might just consider buying a device with that map already installed and having lifetime updates. Not exactly sure if you can find on here in North America with Europe maps. But you could wait and buy one over there. The only downside might be that support for that device will probably have to be handled through Garmin Europe. Trade agreements get sticky and tricky for handling things marketed to a specific region sometimes.

• sussamb 956 Points
    Above is correct. You can't buy the EU maps to put on a NA device and then update them, it's a one off purchase. If in the future you want updated EU maps you'll need to buy an updated map.
  • DeepSnap 181 Points
    sussamb said:

Above is correct. You can't buy the EU maps to put on a NA device and then update them, it's a one off purchase. If in the future you want updated EU maps you'll need to buy an updated map.

That's what I figured..... guess I'll keep my 2475 updated.... being smaller, it'll travel better than the larger DriveSmart65 with unknown rental cars.

Or maybe I'll get a TomTom with the worldwide option for trips to Europe et al with the money I didn't waste on buying unusable subscriptions.

Thanks to all for the input.
  • sussamb 956 Points
    Garmin did, and may still do, a travel edition of various models where you could have 2 continental maps out if 5 installed at any one time.
  • Boyd 2043 Points
    The TomTom goMobile app gives you unlimited maps of the whole world on iOS or Android for (IIRC) $50 year. Meanwhile, Garmin discontinued their app a few years ago.

https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/drive/gps-navigation/go-mobile/