This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Easy (any?) way to transfer Garmin POIs to an indash Garmin on a 2019 Honda Pilot

Looking at purchasing a low-mileage, CPO 2019 Honda Pilot Elite with a Garmin indash system & was wondering if anyone had tackled this issue.

Easiest thing is to just stick my newly purchased DriveSmart 65 or my old 2475 on the dash & go on as before, but the questions from my wife would be brutal. I am NOT re-poking 13years worth of POIs just to say they're the same.

Does Garmin's map update process for indash systems with the USB port takes care of this?

Comments

• privet01 231 Points
    Don't know, never seen such a beast (in-dash Garmin). But have you tried connecting to it with a notebook computer and seeing if there is any directory file structure? Or if Garmin BaseCamp will see it?

If it does, then you can probably add them just like any other POI file you load to a Garmin device. I'm not too good on that myself, so another will have to coach you on that aspect.
  • DeepSnap 181 Points
    privet01 said:

Don't know, never seen such a beast (in-dash Garmin). But have you tried connecting to it with a notebook computer and seeing if there is any directory file structure? Or if Garmin BaseCamp will see it?

If it does, then you can probably add them just like any other POI file you load to a Garmin device. I'm not too good on that myself, so another will have to coach you on that aspect.

Kinda surprised me, too, in-dash, but I guess somebody's got to do it.

Good idea about plugging into USB port & doing a regular gpx POI transfer. Will try it I buy it.

Thanks

• Boyd 2028 Points
    edited December 2020
    Absolutely no personal experience, but Kenwood has been making in-dash units with Garmin software for many years - I thought about getting one of these in the past. If that's what you have, you might find some help here?

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?productID=599095&tab=topics

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=KqHtldqkm2A5cwtmJiZvF9

https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navigation_multimedia/
  • Sorry to be a kill-joy. Here's what the Garmin Support Center has on the subject for the Honda Pilot 2019.

Searching for favorites - "In-Dash systems with Garmin Navigation do not support the ability to transfer favorites from other Garmin portable or In-Dash devices. Garmin In-Dash systems cannot connect directly to the computer via USB or enter mass storage mode. This is required to transfer favorites to a device."

Searching for POIs - "Custom POIs are not compatible with Honda Navigation Systems."

Here's a link to the support center. https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?productID=641869&tab=topics

You might want to try plugging into USB port & doing a regular gpx POI transfer before you buy it.

You might also want to contact Garmin Support and see what they can tell you about transferring Custom POIs and Favorites.
  • privet01 231 Points
    edited December 2020
    @OldGeezer...... first I'm going to say "killjoy". You can imagine that however you want. With a grin hopefully.

Sad, that this thing from Garmin... apparently, is in the same mindset as other in-dash systems. They apparently don't want the consumer mucking around with stuff. Whether that is the car maker, the in-dash GPS maker or someone else, I don't have any idea.

On one hand I can see a point, though not recently, how many times in the past have we seen posts from people randomly deleting files on their devices. Surely this causes an issue with the dealers having to spend time figuring out what was wrong and the consumer saying they should get free service because of warranty and they didn't do anything wrong.
  • OldGeezer 54 Points
    edited December 2020
    @privet01 - Yes, with a grin. Been called a lot worse.

Probably comes down to cost. The more things the GPS is expected to do then the higher the cost to make it. And as you pointed out, when a user can change more things, there are more questions and need for customer support. That adds to the manufacturer's cost, and ALL of it gets passed along to the buyer.

Consolidate the functions of multiple systems (stereo, GPS navigation, video, etc) into one device and the cost goes even higher.
  • DeepSnap 181 Points
    Thanks, everyone.

Guess I won't hit the NAV button on the center console - it'll interfere with my wife constantly seeking the perfect radio station to listen to! - & use either my 2475 or my 65.

Again, thanks again for taking the time.
  • DeepSnap, there's one more thing you might (or might not) want to look into.

https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/honda-navigation-request-for-enhancement-from-garmin.175282/

At this link they claim - "you can just put your personalized gpx files on the POI folder on your usb flash drive and the point of interests will be uploaded when you update your map on the head unit navi. make sure keep the Honda files ( it has list of Honda dealers in the usa/Canada)."

On your Garmin the Favorites are saved in a CURRENT.GPX file, the Custom POIs are saved in files named with a .GPI suffix.

If you can get it to work with one type of file but not the other, you could try using a (free) conversion program like GPXtoPOI.

Especially for longer trips you may still prefer to use your DriveSmart 65 for the functions like smart notifications, traffic and weather information, 3d terrain etc.

Good Luck.