This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

WHICH GPS?

Hi,
I would need advice because I have to buy a good GPS with a price range between 150 and 300€ for my work field.
What I need?
A good gps signal because I have to register the exact location of my traps that are in urban habitat (between vegetation and palace)
An easy mode to register the data because I have to register the gps location of different variable
A good software for transfer the data from gps to pc.
I know that the best gps are GARMIN but i don't know which one to choose and the prices seem out of my budget.
Some suggestion?
Thank you

Irene

Comments

• My interest is top end only.

The new montana 700 series gets a good write-up in my view and has a good aerial for gps accuracy and swappable battery but it's out of your budget. I've been looking at upgrading my 600 series montana for a while but the perfect gps is hard to find.

My knowledge of the hiking GPSers is not good enough to make a recommendation.

• Boyd 2043 Points
    edited December 2020
    Without knowing your exact usage, it's a little hard to say. For example, you need a screen that's readable in bright sunlight if you are mounting the GPS on a bike. But if you're just walking around a city, perhaps a smartphone screen would be good enough? If so, then it should be pretty easy to get good accuracy on your budget with an app and an external bluetooth GPS receiver. There are many, many apps but Oruxmaps is very nice and completely free (Android only).

A few other apps worth checking are Guru Maps, TwoNav and Cartograph - there are iOS and Android versions of these. Map Plus is a nice iOS app and even has some features for making your own maps..These aren't free but they've very inexpensive and all have free trial periods. Locus Map and OsmAnd are also popular and powerful Android apps (not free though).

There are a variety of Bluetooth receivers, I've had a Garmin GLO for a number of years and have been impressed with its accuracy. See this thread and also my older review. Cost is about $100 USD, you would have to shop around in your own country.

Bad Elf has a number of bluetooth devices, have not used myself though.

Dual is another possibility. Again, no personal experience.

There are other companies, such as Trimble and SXBlue that make incredibly accurate bluetooth devices, but they cost thousands of dollars.

With an iPhone, all you need to do is pair the bluetooth GPS and the operating system will automatically use it. Android doesn't do this, so you need a free program to help. Garmin has instructions for this on their site.
  • irene 0 Points
    Hi! thanks a lot for your suggestion, you both have been very kind.
    Boyd, I didn't even know about bluetooth device!
    Boyd said:

Without knowing your exact usage, it's a little hard to say.

The device will be used for ecological research, so no specific needs for fancy stuff. I'll try to be more specific: After setting an origin (the coordinates of a mosquito trap), I need to be able to accurately measure on the field the location and the distances (within, say, a 100m range) between the trap and other stuff such as manhole covers, little patches of vegetation etc. The device I need must have a very reliable gps signal, because I need to do this in an urban context (so among buildings, to be clear), and it must be accurate enough so that the distances between points I'll record won't be off by more than say 5m compared to the real ones.
    For this purpose, what would you suggest?
    Thank you very much in advance

Irene
  • Boyd 2043 Points
    edited December 2020
    I think you will be disappointed by any consumer product if you want the distance between two points to be within 5 meters. 5 meters is about the best you can expect from most devices in ideal situations, and big buildings in an urban environment will be problematic.

Consider this situation: You mark a point somewhere and save it. Assuming good conditions, that point will be within 5m of the real location. Now mark a second point that is actually 20m West of the first point. You could have an error of 10 meters between these points even with 5m accuracy - point one could be 5m East of the real point and point 2 could be 5m West of the real point, so the difference would be 10m. And this assumes good, unobstructed satellite fixes.

You might need a professional survey grade device for your project, and they are probably going to be in the $2000 to $5000 range. Plus, you will need special software for these devices and they will not be very user-friendly, since they're designed for professional use.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think you will be happy with the results you get from any consumer device if you need that level of accuracy in an urban setting. :(