This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Get Rid of the orange curve ahead alert

Hope this has not been discussed before. We live up north in Canada in an area that is mostly hills and winding roads. This dumb curve ahead orange alert comes up all the time and blocks off what road I am supposed to turn on! I know how to tur off the sound as that was enough to drive anyone nuts but how can i get rid of the alert?

Comments

• sussamb 959 Points
    edited December 2020
    Afraid you can't but personally I don't find it intrusive.
  • Boyd 2044 Points
    Yes, it has come up before a number of times, and everybody but @sussamb hates it, LOL. :))

Unfortunately, there is no way to turn it off. Same thing with the annoying school alerts and railroad alerts which frequently appear at places where there is no longer a school or active railroad.
  • Hello, Garmin, if we don't like it, please change it or I , and many others I expect, will abondon Garmin and use Goofle Maps.
  • sussamb 959 Points
    edited December 2020
    Garmin aren't here. Try posting at https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/

If enough complain something might get done.
  • Boyd 2044 Points
    Garmin is not likely to change that. This feature is not new, it has been around for something like 5 years already. Anyway, I think Garmin has pretty much given up on automotive devices. Fewer and fewer of them are sold every year, it's a dying product category. Garmin makes most of their money from sports and fitness products now, like smart watches.
  • Good Point, bad business model. Keep the people happy that bought your product I say
  • Posted it to the address you suggested
  • privet01 231 Points
    I haven't been driving much with my DS 61 since covid. But I thought the orange alert only stayed full for a second or two then shrunk to a small part of the banner so you'd see your next turn info. As well I thought if it is touched while big that it also reveals the turn info it's obscuring.

You didn't mention annoying chime, so I assume you figured out that the alert sounds can individually turned off in [settings][driver assistance][audible driver alerts].
  • Boyd 2044 Points
    privet01 said:

You didn't mention annoying chime,

Actually, he did mention that. ;)

"I know how to turn off the sound"

I completely agree with his feelings.You shouldn't have to touch it, and it's no virtue that the alert only stays on for a second or two. The point is, Garmin should have an option to completely turn off these annoying and intrusive alerts. But that isn't going to happen.
  • I drove from Toronto to Winnipeg a month ago. Going down the Transcanada between Sudbury and Thunder Bay has a curve ever 50 ft it seems. You can't ignore the orange alert all the time and it's there 40 times an hour. It's so distracting I turned it off until we were coming into a larger city. I am working on a holder for my tablet so I can just use Google Maps. 3D printers can do almost everything
  • privet01 231 Points
    edited December 2020
    Google maps get annoying too. Or at least they were. They holler about speed traps all over the place and most I encounter are ICE or DEA running tags. Not speed traps.

And then they were always suggesting new ways and automatically rerouting me if I didn't see the message in time.

I never thought the curve and other orange alerts annoying other than the adible alert which I turned off. At least not on my DS 61. They've never interfered with me getting to where I'm going.

• Thanks, but we don't have DEA or ICE (at least not that kind!) up here in Canada
  • Kevin_hutch 116 Points
    edited January 6
    I believe all alerts should be selectable by the user, it's a pity the only option is all on or all off, such an arrogantly dogmatic approach. Forced me to just switch them all off to save the annoyance
  • Boyd 2044 Points
    AFAIK, there is no option to turn this off at all. How did you "switch them all off"?