This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

I have Delorme mapping tracks and files and am looking for a handheld to up load them to

Hello. New guy looking for some help here. I am pretty old school and have stuck with my old Delorme software and Toughbook on a Jotto Desk for my off road adventures. I don't go very often these days and the old 4x4 is no longer reliable enough and I can't justify the cost of a new 4x4 for the several trips I plan to do the rest of my life.

I have a trip to go with some folks and will ride along or rent a 4x4 later this year. So I cannot use the laptop on the trip out or on the trails. What I am looking for is a GPS that I can put the files I have on. And be able to pull some new files off of. I do have a Garmin Nuvi 55LM for road travel between trails but have found no way to load the Delorme GPS .gpl files, Draw .an2 files, Route .anr files, or Export .gpx files to it. Not sure if this will be my last trip or not so I am looking for something for just the maybe one time use to keep me on the correct trail. Screen size would be a plus if the price was not a great difference. I am looking for something up to $300 range. Just need some help before I go online or talk to someone in the store.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Comments

• Boyd 2033 Points
    edited January 27
    Garmin thinks that a premium device should cost over twice your budget - $700 an Overlander for example.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/685257

You will need to make some compromises for $300 if you want a dedicated GPS, and Garmin is really the only company that's left. But you might look at the DriveTrack 71, currently on sale for $300. It would give you satellite imagery and a built-in topo map, plus all the features you are already familiar with on your Nuvi 55.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/601687/pn/010-01982-00

These devices are limited when it comes to using tracks however. You can record a track but it's either on or off, no track management features. You can load the track on your computer but cannot send a track to the GPS.

I have one of these and like it, but my reasons probably aren't relevant to you. See this

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/31309/the-drivetrack-71-garmin-s-coolest-model-you-ve-never-heard-of

As for converting your data, there are some programs that may be able to help, perhaps this?

https://www.gpsbabel.org
  • Thankyou for the reply. So the Overland is the lowest priced currently that you can load files to? I just need a small unit I can put a line on to follow. I do not need topo maps or even maps. As long as it will accept the GPX or other files I listed and will show the location of the GPS obviously I can tell if I made a wrong turn or not in being to far off my line on the screen.
  • sussamb 947 Points
    In that case even the lower priced handhelds will do what you want, it depends what size screen you want. They can accept .gpx files as can all handhelds and automobile devices.
  • Boyd 2033 Points
    edited January 27
    Well, I assumed you wanted an automotive unit with a nice big screen and maps. If you just want a cheap POS with a tiny screen and no maps, then yes, any Garmin handheld can do that. ;)

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/87768

@sussamb, your response is a bit confusing. Garmin automotive devices can "accept" .gpx files but will only recognize routes and waypoints. Tracks will just be ignored. If the OP doesn't need to load tracks, then his Nuvi 55 should already do everything he needs.
  • privet01 231 Points
    I just need a small unit I can put a line on to follow.
    If you only have a few places you want a bearing too, then why not just plug in manually the coordinates on one of the many GPS devices that will take manually entered coordinates and give you a bearing line to that location?
  • Boyd 2033 Points
    Since the OP said he wants to load his files, I assume that the "line" he wants to follow is a track that he previously recorded.

As has been said, any Garmin handheld can do this, but they will only accept .gpx files so you may need to convert the old files. Have a look at sites such as thegpsstore.com and gpscity.com. They usually have some good deals on refurbished Garmin devices (factory refurbs have the same Garmin warranty as new) and they also tend to offer more discounts on new devices than buying direct from Garmin.
  • Boyd said:

Well, I assumed you wanted an automotive unit with a nice big screen and maps. If you just want a cheap POS with a tiny screen and no maps, then yes, any Garmin handheld can do that. ;)

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/87768

@sussamb, your response is a bit confusing. Garmin automotive devices can "accept" .gpx files but will only recognize routes and waypoints. Tracks will just be ignored. If the OP doesn't need to load tracks, then his Nuvi 55 should already do everything he needs.

Thank you all for the great information.

That last part seems to be the case as I have use the Delorme Export, manual transfer, and even Garmin Base Camp app to load the GPX files to the GPX folder of my Nuvi but have yet to find out how to get it to display. The 2 of the files were originally a gps track that was converted to a draw files. The third and last section was given to me and may be a 30+ year old track from the early Delorme mapping which used very old 7.5 minute mapping and showed the original trail from 1879. I can get all 3 to load and display on Base Camp. Just having trouble getting it to show up or find it once I disconnect my Nuvi from my lap top. I have found information on loading GPX files to etrax, Bike, Watch, and Oregon GPS units but am still not sure I will have any more success with them than I am having with my Nuvi. But the folders are different on my Nuvi than on the video's for the other listed GPS devices. And I have seen other brands of GPS devices for sale and listed on this site and am open to any brand. I have sent the files to a friend to see if he could load it to the GPS on his phone. My phone is just a flip phone with no data or app for GPS. The last section of the trail is in the old file I have from a friend and I have not been on that section in about 20 years. It has a lot of slick rock and is almost impossible to follow unless someone has marked it with cairns. Friends of mine that have done the trail more recently have just stopped before that last difficult to follow section and came back out. The current trail is 40 miles in and another 40 back out if you go to the end. The friend that gave me that last section does not go out anymore but still has guide books published and I would want to be able to record that to give to him to update his publications. And of course for the friends I will be going with to try to stay on the original trail as much as possible. And a spectacular view at the end I want to see again.

I can convert the draw tracks back to thousands of GPS markers I think. Not sure that would help though as it would make the files really large. I just am trying to be sure that my files will load to a GPS before I buy it. Of course a larger screen would be preferred but what anything I could load my files to and then also record and export the track we actually drive would work. This will be most likely very sunny and no shade as it is desert. Due to the length of the trail memory might be an issue but it might not as I am not really sure as I have not used a hand held in the past and it never was an issue with my Toughbook and Delorme software. I was thinking of maybe a Oregon or similar. Thank you again for all your help.
  • Boyd 2033 Points
    The Oregon can do all of that. Check the retailers mentioned above, they often have good deals on the Oregon series. You are also going to need a mount and power supply for a vehicle, which increases the cost.

Personally, I would not be happy with an small screen like the Oregon in the car. I had the first Oregon model and used it in the car a few times, but that was around 2008 and my expectations have grown since then. :)
  • Think you for the links, they did have it in my earlier posted price range. I do have inverters for powering my laptop. Not sure about a mount yet. It will not need to be viewable most of the time. For my car I have my NUVI. This will be just for the trail on this trip or maybe one in the future that I cannot take my Toughbook mounted on a JOTO desk on. That was hard on computers any way. If I can get the GPX files loaded I think this will do the job. Keep your fingers crossed.
  • Will the files you have work with a Delorme GPS unit? I've used a Delorme for years now - first a PN-40 and then for the last few years a PN-60. I see a lot of those available used on Ebay - that's where I bought mine; I prefer the Delorme maps to anything Garmin has to offer.
  • Boyd 2033 Points
    It's a shame that Garmin discontinued the DeLorme handhelds after they bought the company. No surprise I guess, they killed Navigon's units when they bought them too. I just wish there were still SOME competition left in the handheld GPS market. I suppose that is just an indication of how small that market has become, nobody else thinks its worth the effort to offer a product. In the EU there are TwoNav and Satmap, but there are no US dealers.
  • I am sure they would and considered that. But as they do not have factory support and are used I didn't want to risk getting a problem unit. I received my Oregon yesterday and have some track's loaded. Took a bit to figure it out. I was surprised to find the map program on it has the original trail and list it as a 4 wheel drive trail and changes to a pack trail on beyond the end of the 4x4 trail. I have some more learning to do with it but it looks like it will work well for what I want to do. I am going to take it with me when I walk my dog and see about learning how to save the track and then export it back to my laptop Delorme program. Thanks again for all the help.