This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Nuvi 2589 and Smart Drive 55 side street directions to avoid traffic

I've been using the 2589 nuvi for some years now, it works perfectly fine. I upgraded and purchased the smart drive a while back to take advantage of some of the new features. After using the smart drive for some time now, I noticed the nuvi would give better directions from point A to B in most cases but would be similar to the smart drive. For example the nuvi is better with taking side streets in the city to avoid traffic where as the smart drive would keep you on the main streets at times.
I did a comparison with direction using waze, and both garmin's. I found at different times of the day when traffic was busy, the nuvi and waze would give similar results to avoid traffic. The smart drive would usually stick to same main roads, but isn't great with taking back road to avoid main streets during rush hour. The garmin navigation settings are set the same on both units to take the fastest route, but result usually vary. Maybe its me, but does anyone know why the nuvi would be better at mapping out better directions by using side streets as opposed to the smart drive?

Comments

• Boyd 2035 Points
    The Nuvi may use Garmin "trafficTrends" and "myTrends". TrafficTrends was supposed to provide enhanced routing based on historical data for the road and time of day. MyTrends was supposed to calculate routes based on roads that you freqently use (also, possibly on the time).

Not positive, but I think Garmin no longer supports any of these features. If so, that could explain the difference. Personally I thought both of those features ranged from useless to annoying or even dangerous, so I always turned them off.

OTOH (assuming the map versions are the same), each device has its own software, so what you're seeing might just reflect a change in Garmin's algorithms.
  • mrjp 0 Points
    Yes that would make sense, which model do you currently use?
  • Boyd 2035 Points
    DriveTrack 71, although the real answer is "nothing" because I haven't gone far enough from home to need a GPS for almost a year. :)

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/31309/the-drivetrack-71-garmin-s-coolest-model-you-ve-never-heard-of/p1
  • mrjp 0 Points
    Anything special about the Drive track 71? Do you see garmin making any more improvements on their car gps platform before it finally dies?
  • Boyd 2035 Points
    The link I posted discusses what I think is special about the DriveTrack 71. ;)
  • mrjp 0 Points
    Boyd said:

The Nuvi may use Garmin "trafficTrends" and "myTrends". TrafficTrends was supposed to provide enhanced routing based on historical data for the road and time of day. MyTrends was supposed to calculate routes based on roads that you freqently use (also, possibly on the time).

Not positive, but I think Garmin no longer supports any of these features. If so, that could explain the difference. Personally I thought both of those features ranged from useless to annoying or even dangerous, so I always turned them off.

OTOH (assuming the map versions are the same), each device has its own software, so what you're seeing might just reflect a change in Garmin's algorithms.

I just checked on the nuvi, I have the traffic trends option disabled.
  • Chris_Sav 132 Points
    My experiences back up a similar conception. From previous posts of mine I have said that I have no faith in the routing on my Drivelux. I remember well trying to get across country and the Drivelux insisting on routing over a portion of M25 (London Orbital car park) that was closed and continuing to insist even after I had bypassed the blockage with some seat of pants driving. My 3790 performed flawlessly for years and was a revelation to me.

Similarly I have been hibernating for a year but the Drivelux will be replaced when the world returns to normality.