This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Is my older Nuvi still viable?

I have an older Nuvi 2555 LMT that is always kept updated with new maps. Will getting a new, splashy, expensive Nuvi be any more accurate with directions and overall efficiency than my 2555 LMT? My unit serves me well, but am I missing out somehow? Thanks.

Comments

• OldGeezer 60 Points
    Its a matter of user preference. Newer models can have better resolution, faster startup, and larger displays. The traffic information from a linked app is usually better and has much wider coverage than your Nuvi.

On the other hand, you can customize the dashboard on your Nuvi, and it might have apps that are not included in newer Garmin models.
  • Boyd 2043 Points
    edited March 24
    Actually, you can't get a splashy, expensive Nuvi because Garmin discontinued the Nuvi line many years ago now. :)

Look on Garmin's site, they summarize most of the new features right there. Many of them require a smartphone with their app that is linked to the GPS with a bluetooth connection. This provides things like traffic data (which really is better IMO), If you don't have a smartphone, then those features won't be available to you.

The screens are certainly nicer, higher resolution glass capacitive technology with slender bezels and multi-touch gestures such as pinch/spread zooming. The processors are faster too so you can zoom in and out faster.

They have added some new gimmicks that generally just annoy me, but to each their own. You get a "warning" everytime there's a curve in the road, or if there's a school or railroad anywhere near and these can't be turned off. Also "helpful" things like suggesting parking garages in areas where none are needed. :D

If you're happy with the old one, my guess is that this stuff won't do much for you, but I could be wrong. Maybe try some google searches for video of the current model numbers, pretty sure you will find plenty that show you what to expect.

Honestly, not sure but some new models may also receive GLONASS and Galileo satellites. These probably don't help much in the US, but could help with accuracy in the EU. However, automotive devices use "road lock" where your vehicle position automatically "snaps" to the nearest road (Garmin asssumes you're driving on mapped roads). So, greater precision from the GPS chips isn't likely to help much.
  • gatorguy 329 Points
    edited March 24
    Boyd, perhaps surprisingly there are Garmin devices where the default is GPS+Glasnoss, with the rationale being better accuracy. I don't know of any automotive use ones altho there may be, but I do know the Garmin Fenix smartwatches use both. I think you can turn it off and just use GPS but Garmin recommends you do not.

Edit: Looks like the eTrex does too. Of course it's not the type of device the OP is looking for either. Just found it interesting as I'd not paid all that much attention to Glasnoss use in the US.
  • privet01 231 Points
    If it does what you need, you might just get frustrated with some of the things they've slightly changed the way they work now. Don't know specifically about your Nuvi model though, but minor differences in the way things work from my very old Nuvi 205W to each of my newer ones took some getting used too.

And the Nuvi 205W still does all well, though it doesn't hold the full North America maps any more.

But, browse through the newer models on the Garmin site and look at the newer features that are included with them. The different features are what you might want, but navigation on the map is still pretty much the same.

If some feature sounds interesting or confusing to you.... ask here and we'll confuse you more or set you straight.
  • Boyd 2043 Points
    edited March 24
    Great to see you posting again Gator!

We discussed this earlier but I didn't realize the full scope. Here are the newer devices that support Galileo. Looks like GLONASS is only for the handhelds. But virtually every smartphone has GLONASS for years. ;)

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=YXd153clB76LEPOaWA2799

Camper 770
    Camper 780
    dezl 580
    Garmin DriveAssist 51
    Garmin DriveLuxe 51
    Garmin DriveSmart 51
    Garmin Drive 52 & Traffic
    European device only
    Garmin DriveSmart 55 & Traffic
    Garmin DriveSmart 61
    Garmin DriveSmart 65 & Traffic
    Garmin DriveSmart 65 with Amazon Alexa
    Overlander
  • mrjp 1 Point
    I have both the 2589LMT and a drivesmart55 model. The drivesmart works well with the drive app for directions and does a better job loading and calculating directions faster. The 2589 is better with directing around traffic and taking back roads when necessary. I prefer the software from the my 2589 over the drivesmart 55 in terms of alternative routes when avoiding traffic.
    Only if there was a way of transferring the algorithm software from the 2589 over to the drivesmart.