This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

HELP!! This GPS thing is killing me

brianbouldin 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
O.K. I have been interested in GPS units for the car after having one on the boat. My buddy has a Garmin and it seemed to work just fine, however I saw a deal on a go700 for 280.00. Is that a good deal?? I like the fact it had the bluetooth, but is it true it does not say the actual street names? Anyway just need a unit at a great price to get me around. The other stuff is neither here nor there for me.

Thanks in Advance

Brian

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    $280 is about the lowest price I've seen for the TomTom 700. It is true that it does not have text-to-speech, quite a few GPS devices do not have that feature. It will still speak directions, it will just say "turn right in 200 feet" versus "turn right onto Main Street".
  • tomj03 0 Points
    I think TomTom One V2 at 250$, Sirf-III is a better deal.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Yea, the TomTom ONE is smaller, lighter, but is also a little slower and doesn't have Bluetooth hands free calling like the 700 does.
  • What is SIRF III?? And why is it better?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    SiRF is the brand of the actual chipset inside of the device which provides the GPS location. Here is an article about why you should, or shouldn't, care about the SiRF chipset.