Maestro 3100 Update error

ls1z28 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Vehicle Forum
I just recieved my Maestro 3100 for xmas. I registered my product and saw there was an update. After the 90 minute download, I followed the directions on the screen. When the update started, my computer notified me that my computer needed to restart due to some driver that was installed so my GMS could be updated.

Needless to say this screwed up my GPS. Now when I power on and even reset my GPS I get the Magellan screen with a load bar and thats as far as it goes now. When I attach the GPS to my computer to update it, a syntax error comes up and it will not update or even turn on its default settings for that matter.

As far as I am concerned this GPS is now useless.

Does anybody have any idea how to fix this?

Also when I do plug the GPS up to the computer, it opens like a jump drive or a hard drive with file folders and such.

Any help would be wonderful

Thanks

Comments

• If you already registered, try contacting support at Magllan and asking them to e-mail you the original files or pointing you to a download page. I believe that you can just overwright the files on your GPS.
  • ChadJ 0 Points
    I'm in exactly the same boat. I've got a couple other 3100's (for our delivery trucks at work) and I'm in the process of replacing the contents of my 3100 with the contents of a working 3100. I'll let you know how it goes. It should be done in a few minutes, and I'll report back...

Chad
  • ChadJ 0 Points
    Well, the file replacement restored the normal menu system of my 3100. However, when I try to go to the map screen, I get a map initialization error, and the unit asks me to insert an SD card containing map data (even though the US48.IMI and related POI files are in place on the unit).

I did edit the Unit_ID file and correct the serial number (since I pulled all this from another GPS unit); this file is located in the \SYS\USB_TRANS folder, I believe. The USB_TRANS folder was missing from my unit after the attempted update.

Since it's still not working properly, I'm going to re-attempt the update to 2.18 and see if that will correct the problem. Worst case scenario I'll be back to where I was before...

Chad
  • ChadJ 0 Points
    Well, I started the update, and received the same error as the first time. This time I wrote it down.

"\USR\tnErrorIndex.001 is corrupt and unreadable. Please run CHKDSK..."

While I was writing down the error, however, the update automatically proceeded after about 1-2 minutes (no touching the computer, while I was writing the error out on paper).

So, it's still progressing. We'll see what happens once the update it through.

Chad
  • ChadJ 0 Points
    ls1z28,

My suggestion is to keep the USB_TRANS folder that gets copied to your SD card... Copy it off to your PC, but DON'T delete that. It'll have the Unit_ID file from your GPS. It looks like the first thing that happens during the update is that the USB_TRANS folder gets backed up to SD, then the upgrade takes place. I'm guessing the USB_TRANS folder will get put back (from SD) onto the unit once the upgrade is competel.

So that's what the SD card is used for... to store the USB_TRANS folder containing the Unit_ID file while the upgrade is taking place.

Chad
  • ChadJ 0 Points
    Okay, I let the update run its course, and to my surprise, the GPS is again fully functional with the updated firmware. I see it now defaults to showing the arrival time when in a route, instead of the miles remaining or time remaining. That was my biggest reason for pursuing the update...

It seems like my modified Unit_ID file is working okay, too... So that's a relief (since I was stupid enough to delete my original from my SD card when I tried to run the update during an earlier attempt.

So, ls1z28, all is not lost... The unit is recoverable. And I'm just glad I don't have to deal with sending it out to Magellan repair and being without it for a month.

Chad
  • Excellent Chad! I remembered this post when I was reading your original one. Maestro should recommend that you copy all files to your PC before starting this. It would seem that if disaster struck you could always wipe the unit clean and copy them back as long as they are originally from the same unit. Thanks for posting the results!

Pat
  • ChadJ 0 Points
    Well, everything seems to operate just fine with after rescuing the 3100 from the initial update. The POI database has a bunch more categories (including the "Rest Areas" category that I couldn't believe was missing in the old version). Sweet!

The turn notification chime has changed a little -- I like it. Oh, and when I shut my car off, it now gives me a choice to keep the GPS powered up from battery, turn it off immediately, or if you just walk away it'll power off in something like 15 seconds. Before I had to set the auto-power off to 10 minutes, and once it didn't detect movement for 10 minutes, it would (usually) power down; I always turned it off manually just to be sure it would shut down. The new way is MUCH nicer.

And, Pat, I definitely agree. If I were to do it all over again, I'd copy the contents of my GPS off to a folder on my PC before I started the update.

If nothing else, I learned a lot about the inner-workings of my GPS today...

Chad
  • Rather than making a new thread about the same topic for the 100th time, I am going to post in here since it seems his issue was solved.

My thing is this, I got all the same errors, except when I first hooked up the unit via USB, nothing ever prompted me to install the drivers for the magellan unit. so, once I ran the update and it failed, I have no way to access the unit's HD(the only one that gets added to My Computer is G: which is the SD card) My ignorance allowed me to believe that my computer somehow just knew what it was and i didnt know to check to make sure it added the extra drive.

Am i completely boned or is there a driver or something out there that I can use to force this thing to get recognized?
  • I was having similar problems when first connecting my device. I never saw the driver screen pop up on either my Vista or XP machine. I found though that going to add new hardware in the control panel and having it scan for a new device made the drives show up under my computer. Give that a shot to see if it pops up then for you.
  • I tried that as well with no luck.
  • mreish 0 Points
    I never got any dialog box asking for drivers either. Here's a link to the thread where I solved my problem. I hope it works for you too: http://www.gpsreview.net/forums/discussion/3546/x/p1/
  • how did you get that to work? Doesn't it require your maestro to show up in my computer? If not, what did you change the drive letter to?
  • mreish 0 Points
    I edited my post in the other thread. I'll copy it here too:
    I found my computer mounts the 3100 best if I plug in the USB cable then hit reset. When I do this, the boot screen shows a black loading bar and when the bar gets half way across the screen the USB Connected screen appears with the black load bar covering the right half of the screen. It looks like it was either poorly designed or a bug. Either way, it works like a charm no matter how ugly the screen is.
    Hope that helps.
  • yeah mine always did that too, but still with nothing showing up in my computer. I resolved my problem by having my girlfriend take the thing back and exchange it for a new one while I am at work, so tonight I should have another go at it with a lot more knowledge.
  • mreish 0 Points
    I resolved my problem by having my girlfriend take the thing back
    I would have done that too except it came as a christmas gift via mail order. Local retailers do have advantages.
  • Trying to load the firmware update but I always get a time out error when copying the large map file. Any suggestions anyone. Sometimes it shows up as a semaphore error.
  • patruns 10 Points
    Is this a Windows XP error message? How much memory do you have? The update is rather long..........
  • Yes, seems to be an XP message. I have 512 M of memory. While the copying process was proceeding I had the task manager performance window open and CPU usage was minimal and there was always about 32m of memory unused.

Doug
  • patruns 10 Points
    It could be a memory issue. 32meg of unused memory is not much. Try closing all other applications. If that does not work, try increasing the size of the paging file. Also, temporarily disable your anti virus program. That uses a lot of memory and could spike use while files are being written to the GPS.

PS: If you downloaded this update more than 2 days ago, I believe they have changed the update. You may wish to download the new file. I did not see it yesterday morning but it is there now.
  • do we know if they had improved anything or a reason for it being off and now on again?
    i wonder if they actually fixed any glitches.
  • The comment about "32M of memory isn't a lot" prompted me to close a lot more things...I thought I had most closed but not all. I also moved the extracted upgrade files to a temp. directory directly under the C:\ which reduced the path length. I used the batch file to do the update then without any problems. Noticed that the map comes up more slowly after the upgrade. Apparently there is a new update file as of today e.g. (now 2.18r6). This worked so well now that I may try the new file...but maybe not; let sleeping dogs lie comes to mind.

Doug
  • patruns 10 Points
    I suspect the new file is to fix the update problems encountered by many, not the actual update. I would not bother if you already have the update installed.
  • I already did download and install. The new firmware (both versions) are slower responding (map loading and touch screen response while in map mode) than version 1.22. I'm going to use the new firmware for a while but if I find the delayed response too annoying I'll probably go back to 1.22. I have saved the 1.22 files so I can do that. I guess any upgrade is win some and lose some.

I don't know why the map loading would be slower because someone posted that the new map file is smaller than the 1.22 version file so??????

Doug
  • patruns 10 Points
    There is more to the upgrade than the map itself. Hawaii and Puerto Rice are added as are more POIs, screen icons and some general massaging of the system. I would recommend that you stick with the upgrade for now. Plus, you ain't going back unless you backed up the entire GPS drive prior to the upgrade.
  • I've been playing with the 3100 some and it seems like the delay I first noticed has improved significantly. I did turn off some of the map special features like 3D and the other automatic functions...maybe that did it. Seems to be working quite well actually.

I did do a complete backup of the 1.22 version files but hopefully won't need to use them.

Doug
  • Since I upgraded to 2.18 last week I have some new behavior. When I start the 3100 I always get a message screen that says "since the SD card was removed the program must restart." I, of course, have not removed the SD card so any ideas?

Entering a new address is painfully slow. I don't know if it has something to do with the above paragraph.

Doug
  • patruns 10 Points
    Since I do not leave an SD card in my machine, I don't know why you would get that message. Are you using the stock POI file or did you change to that 6 million POI hack that requires the card?
  • I'm using the POI file that came with the 2.18 upgrade. As slow as entering a new address is I'm not interested in adding any larger data bases. I guess I can see what happens if I remove the SD card before I turn it on again. My SD card is just a 16M unit and it should only have the backup on it.

Doug
  • patruns 10 Points
    Well, I don't see why you get the error message but in any event, there is no reason to leave the card in. As you say, it only contains the small backup.
  • any way some one can send me a complete backup of the 1.22 version files for the 3100? Crashed the unit and I dd not save it so I'm getting the head screen with the reset bar stuck at the reset point!!
    Help
  • patruns 10 Points
    There is a license ID file as well that you will need. Otherwise, using anyone's backup will not help you. I would contact Magellan.

Depending on how much was wiped off the unit, try this. Connect the unit to the PC, then turn it on. If you can see the computer picture on the screen or read the drive you might be able to run the update again.
  • ChadJ 0 Points
    I've been contacted via PM by quite a few people who've had the same problem. The file structure from an original 3100 (which I've got, archived) does work, and does fix this problem.

When someone has contacted me, I simply as for their serial number, and their email address. I modify the Unit_ID.DAT file to reflect their serial number. Then I zip the file structure into one .zip file and email it to them. All they need to do is replace the contents of their 3100 with what I send them, then it allows their 3100 to boot up to the point where they can run the upgrade again (with specific instructions to WAIT at the error message). It's worked for every person who has contacted me.

Just FYI...

Chad
  • patruns 10 Points
    You da man Chad! :wink:
  • i loaded the update because of the new POI but to my surprise the update deleted many of the previous POI's is there any way to manually update the POI's so that you can customize them? if you can give me step by step directions that would be great
  • patruns 10 Points
    i loaded the update because of the new POI but to my surprise the update deleted many of the previous POI's is there any way to manually update the POI's so that you can customize them? if you can give me step by step directions that would be great
    The update replaces the previous POI file. Also, you cannot manually update the file. All you can do is add additional POIs as favorites as you come across them.
  • I've been contacted via PM by quite a few people who've had the same problem. The file structure from an original 3100 (which I've got, archived) does work, and does fix this problem.

When someone has contacted me, I simply as for their serial number, and their email address. I modify the Unit_ID.DAT file to reflect their serial number. Then I zip the file structure into one .zip file and email it to them. All they need to do is replace the contents of their 3100 with what I send them, then it allows their 3100 to boot up to the point where they can run the upgrade again (with specific instructions to WAIT at the error message). It's worked for every person who has contacted me.

Just FYI...

Chad

hey chad, i am in need of the files. please reply.

thanks
  • I've been contacted via PM by quite a few people who've had the same problem. The file structure from an original 3100 (which I've got, archived) does work, and does fix this problem.

Just FYI...

Chad
    Hi Chad
    I need help, send me file please
    email songchochrist@gmail.com
  • Hi ChadJ, my Maestro 3100 is frozen due to the update... I would appreciate it if you could send me the files. Contact me please via PM! Thanks!
  • Is help still available for this issue ??
  • TerryB 0 Points
    I am now just hitting the same problem - is the help still there?
  • Hi Chad,

If you are still able to do this, I have a Maestro 3100 that needs the file. Can you e-mail me at luvintnvols@gmail.com?

Thank you!
  • patruns 10 Points
    Hi Chad,

If you are still able to do this, I have a Maestro 3100 that needs the file. Can you e-mail me at luvintnvols@gmail.com?

Thank you!
    Chad hasn't been here in over 4 years and this unit is over 5 1/2 years old. I think it is time to get a new device. :)
  • chad please send me the files for 3100

olded60@msn.com