This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

New Here You Guys Frighten Me !!! 4250 UNOPENED

garysauctions 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Vehicle Forum
New here and this forum looks like a place to hang out !!!!!

OK so I got a Maestro 4250 as a Christmas Gift, knowing the vendor charges a Restocking Fee for opened units I have not opened mine, YET.

My previous GPS was a Magellan Roadmate 300. My only gripe with that unit was the lack of built-in maps, so I had to create a ton of custom maps.

Tried to call Magellan Cust Service to get that unit updated but remember that did not go well. So for a year or so I have used the Roadmate 300 with much happiness.

Fast forward to today ....

Here I sit, looking at 2 things ....

1) Maestro 4250 NEW IN BOX

2) GPS Forums

I gotta tell ya, cracking that box open is tempting, but reading the horror :eek: stories has me concerned!!! :lol:

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

I'll probably open it up, and if it has 'issues' I will return it as "defective" and try to avoid that nasty Restock Fee! :lol:

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    Yes, Magellan's customer support is currently terrible. Most people, thankfully, will never need it.
  • Well ....

I tried to call Magellan with some questions, to see if Customer Service is as others are saying.

It is, and I returned the Magellan and purchased Garmin Nuvi 760.

I wrote Magellan a polite email telling them of my dilemma, and my decision and the reasons for my decision.

I also recalled past interactions with Cust Support at Magellan with my Roadmate 300.

Hopefully they will listen and learn.

Over to the Garmin board! :D
  • Most people, thankfully, will never need it.
    I have had the 4250 for 3 days.

Critics of this device need to have their head examined for geekitis.

1. Incredibly easy to use, program and interact with.
    2. Routes are almost identical to google.
    3. TRAFFIC -- how COOL! PS -- traffic subscription is only $39.99 for an additional 12-months (after the initial free 90-days expires).
    4. It's plenty loud, unless you have your music cranked.
    5. Voice Recognition is fine. Yeah, the TT 920 is cooler - but for $350 INCLUDING the traffic receiver, this is a bargain.
    6. The mount is fine. It may not be the best (I wouldn't know) but for my car (VW Passat) no issues.
    7. TTS is great. Not too wordy.
    8. Bluetooth -- although my phone is NOT on the approved list, it works for handsfree. It does not work for SMS. I have a 2 year-old RAZR V3C
    9. Routes -- I tested a bunch of them - with and without traffic -- it always picked the route I would take.
    10. Power switch. Yes, as the book says, you must hold it for a few seconds to power on.
    11. Magellan is NOT mac savvy -- the cd-rom is really programmed for windows -- but a mac user can access the PDF files. And the poi application works in parallels.

(since I bought this for my wife, it's about easily entering an address or choosing from the address list, and then doing what magellan says.)

I feel I got a good value for my needs vs. spending more for a more complex device + buying an external traffic antennae for $100+

If I spend $100-150 more, will I get a better device? Maybe. Features I want to pay $100-150 for? Not really. In my opinion, for $350, this is a FINE device, and considering the integrated traffic receiver, it's a good value. This should be compared to other units with traffic receivers. I personally felt the TomTom external antennae was just one too many things to have to lug along on a trip (rental car). Critics may say, "in Los Angeles, just assume the 405 is always a mess, so you don't really need traffic, do you?"

I will never call Magellan suport. I bought this at Costco, and if Magellan support is needed, I'll simply return it.

PS -- the Magellan website is just fine for registration and unlocking the traffic kit functions. Very simple to use.

I do not expect to call Magellan Support.
  • sandyp 0 Points
    I've had the Roadmate 760, Maestro 4050 and now the 4250. I like it very much. I'd improve the speaker but when you have so little room, I understand that you can't inlcude a larger speaker.

Customer Service sucks, but management E-mail and phone info has been posted and they are extremely helpful.

If you have a good system, hopefully you won't need to call Customer Service.

Stay with the 4250. You can't go wrong!

Sandy
  • sandyp 0 Points
    10. Power switch. Yes, as the book says, you must hold it for a few seconds to power on.
    Got around this simply. I just power down when done. When I'm ready to start, when I plug the battery connector in, it automatically powers up. Never have to press the on-off button. Haven't had a freeze since starting this method.

Try that!

Sandy
  • I will never call Magellan suport. I bought this at Costco, and if Magellan support is needed, I'll simply return it.

PS -- the Magellan website is just fine for registration and unlocking the traffic kit functions. Very simple to use.

I do not expect to call Magellan Support.
    Wow. What a difference a day makes...

Tried to connect my 4250 to a PC using USB...

See THIS THREAD

No problem, let's contact magellan support...

1. The 4250 is not listed on their website as a product for support.

2. OK, let's call them. Wednesday 2 Jan, 7:31am, PDT -- I got a recording: "our offices are closed"

I guess this is going back. No time for customer support issues.

At least Costco will let me return this without issue.

I thought I had the $350 solution (as opposed to the $450 for comparable features).

Bummer. In case a Magellan executive is reading this, your support department not only cost you a sale, it's costing you goodwill... had you shipped the product without a USB "prototype" - I would probably have never need your support.

1. Get it right the first time, and there is little need for customer support.
    2. If you can't get it right, then you must have your support in place.

As a Costco executive member, I have only returned 2 items in 10 years. My return will be insignificant to me, but an RTV will cost Magellan -- because as you must know, each Costco has some influence on what they stock in-line. Too bad. Shoulda listened to my brothers in the forum here. LOL! :-)

So now what? Back to shopping mode...
  • ...to add insult to injury:

I today's mail, I received my "$6500 of savings coupon book" from Costco -- and yes, the 4250 will be on sale for $249 in March ($100 less than i paid 3 days ago).

Considering the engineering failure, my unit must go back regardless... can I live with the limitations -- we're no longer comparing $350 to $475 (4250 vs. TT720 + traffic receiver or Garmin 680 - costco.com prices) - we're now comparing $250 to $475... hard to justify almost twice the price for a comparable device (ok, the other devices have more features, but those are expensive features now that the 4250 is going to be $250 for a week.

Let's see how miserable Magellan support turns out to be, and I will have a strong reason to return this -- but then what to buy? :-)

I have 2 months to think about it.
  • I also could not resist the Costco price of $349.

With the free, satisfaction warranty from Costco, I could not resist.

Though I am fairly new here, I stress to to all those who might read this, the only way to judge, is try it for yourself. I could not afford or justify the Magellan equivalent in a Garmin and
    I am so glad I did not get intimidated by the negative stories here about Magellan.

Most of the negative posts aka "Horror Stories" about the 4250 are just that, "stories".....They are crap, and so far, not valid with my purchase.
    I am very impressed with the 4250 even though
    I have only had it since 12 / 29 and I have used it daily and I am still learning all the functions. So far, we are doing OK and I have no complaints.

Besides $350 vs $500 & up for other brands.

If I do start having problems, I just take it back to Costco, whether it is in 30 days or 3 years, as long as I have the receipt, by which I have already made 2 copies of, I get a refund / credit.

Besides, do you really think a company as big as AAA with as much clout as they have, would sign a contract in February 2007 with Magellan if they were as horrible as the majority of posts here, say they are.
  • Bo,

I have/had the same sentiments as you and bought the thing (at costco). However, in the nay sayer's defense, support has been zero. 2 full business days and I have not been able to contact support (no response to my email and the phones must be shut down). So I agree with the Magellan haters that their support stinks.

HOWEVER - the product is very good and for the money, extraordinary!

So, as you said, just buy it, use it, and know that you have Costco backing you up.

I couldn't agree more.
  • Fair Enough !!

Well said, Careperdiem
  • sandyp 0 Points
    HOWEVER - the product is very good and for the money, extraordinary!
    Amen! I love the 4250, I loved the 4050 before that! I know that Customer Service sucks, but if you have a good product that is worth the $$$, I don't care. The units are cheap enough to throw away if need be. The other brads don't offer as much and cost significantly more! The GPS is ow like a cell phone. Too cheap to keep when there is a problem. Disposable. Go for the value. Customer Service is important, but I'm not betting a lot more $$ hoping that another brad will have better service.

Sandy
  • Just a FYI for those who have commented on it...

My roommate also two weeks ago bought the 4250 from Costco at the $349 sale price. Two days ago we also got that Coupon book in the mail that knocks $100 off of it making it $249. The coupon however, is valid for one week only, in mid-March.

The roommate went up to Costco hoping they'd tell him they'd go ahead and refund the difference, or tell him in March when that coupon is valid to bring his receipt in then and they'd do it then. They have a 90 day return policy on electronics now, so that would fall within the 90 days of purchase.

They don't do this. They said if the coupon is valid within 30 days of you buying the item, they'll just give you a refund for the difference if you bring in your original receipt. But 30 days is it. They told him if he wants to save the $100, he'll have to box up the one he bought and just return it, and rebuy it in March.

Anyway, just wanted to pass that on in case anyone else tries it.
  • smark 0 Points
    ...to add insult to injury:

I today's mail, I received my "$6500 of savings coupon book" from Costco -- and yes, the 4250 will be on sale for $249 in March ($100 less than i paid 3 days ago).

Considering the engineering failure, my unit must go back regardless... can I live with the limitations -- we're no longer comparing $350 to $475 (4250 vs. TT720 + traffic receiver or Garmin 680 - costco.com prices) - we're now comparing $250 to $475... hard to justify almost twice the price for a comparable device (ok, the other devices have more features, but those are expensive features now that the 4250 is going to be $250 for a week.

Let's see how miserable Magellan support turns out to be, and I will have a strong reason to return this -- but then what to buy? :-)

I have 2 months to think about it.

Hi,

Is this really for the 4250? I received a coupon book from Costco "$650 in savings" and it did not have the 4250 in it, only the Nuvi 200. My coupon booklet runs from Jan 7-Jan 27. Are you looking a different one? Just wanted to be sure. $100 is a hefty savings. They currently have it for sale at their stores for $350 (after $50 instant rebate). Thanks.
  • My coupon booklet runs from Jan 7-Jan 27. Are you looking a different one?
    different coupon book. yours will come soon, i hope. coupon is valid march 17-23. Magellan 4250. $100 off (store price w/ coupon: $249). This is what is printed on the coupon.
  • smark 0 Points
    Thanks!
  • I returned my 4250 yesterday.

A combination of factors, including some INSANE routing trying to get home from a ski trip on Sunday.

I asked 4250 for a re-route, and it sent me 25 miles in one direction, and then on a sneaky road that slowly went from due east to slightly north east, to due north, in about 20 miles... and yes, then finally right back to where the re-route started. That was the the last straw.

No issues returning this to costco. AND the customer service rep told me that Garmin 680 was about to be sold for $399, no coupons, in-store.

I'm going to check... if so, then the new choice is go back and buy the 4250 again March 17 for $249 w/ coupon, or the Garmin 680 for $399. Hmm...

After living with the Magellan for almost 2 months, I can say that there are many good things about it. And for most people, it will be a fine choice. Especially if you can get it for $249. I think I want more out of the device, and the Traffic options in the G680 seem like more options.

I'll report back.