This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

garmin 60csx firmware update on a Mac?

Is it possible? :?:

Comments

• Tim 1466 Points
    Outside of a Boot Camp/Parallels solution, I'm not aware of any way to update the firmware from a Mac. There are some hacks to do it on some of the other devices, such as the Nuvi, but I haven't seen it work on the 60CSx or the other handhelds.

Until Garmin finishes building their Mac applications, I think you'll be stuck finding someone's PC to do the update on for now. Plus, I'm not real fond of the hacks to make it work since it would be easy for something to go wrong.
  • peproue 0 Points
    Thanks Tim.
    I was afraid that was going to be the answer.
    I have successfully updated everthing on my Nuvi 360 that can be updated, without problem, but I find I cannot even expand the firmware update file for the 60cxs usiing stuffit expander.
    Hopefully the promise of Webupdater and POI loader in Q1 of this year will be kept by Garmin and my wait will be a short one.

P.S. I always have a complete backup of my Nuvi 360 on hand just in case.
  • Tim 1466 Points
    Hopefully the promise of Webupdater and POI loader in Q1 of this year will be kept by Garmin
    Of course the original promise was by the end of 2006. Then at the end of 2006 they said that they were behind, but that they would have Training Center available in a couple of weeks and would provide an update on the rest of the software at that time. Training Center was released, but no updated timeline on the rest of their products.
  • peproue 0 Points
    "Our next step are Mac-compatible versions of our WebUpdater software that is used to updated unit firmware and the POI Loader application for Custom POI's. Both of these software programs will be available to download in Q1 of this year. "
    From Chet's corner dated Jan. 16, 2007.
    I know they keep backing up, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath.
  • Tim 1466 Points
    I did see that... still waiting to hear about other products they've talked about such as MapSource, nRoute, etc.
  • peproue 0 Points
    Hopefully MapSource will be next on their agenda. I won't buy maps for my 60CSX until that happens.
  • Tim 1466 Points
    Yes, MapSource will be very important to a select group of people like myself and probably you too. Other people who own Nuvis and other products that only need firmware updates won't need that as much, so I can at least comprehend the order which they are taking things.

And it also looks like they are using the OmniGroup for their Mac software development.... if that is true it should ensure some great products.

I can't wait to no longer have to turn Parallels on to get lots of my GPS work done. :)
  • peproue 0 Points
    At least you have that option. I have a dual G5 2.5 Ghz that I intend on keeping for a long time and a G4 Titanium notebook that I have been temped to replace with a mac Book Pro. But Garmin software is the only reason I need to run windows, and I don;t think that is a good enough reason, to go out and buy a new notebook. Maybe when the next generation Mac Book Pro come out in a year or so, but by them I hope Garmin has OS X software for all their products.
  • Tim 1466 Points
    Indeed. Purchasing Windows AND Parallels is quite an investment if all you would be doing is running occasional firmware updates. I've got four Macs on my desk right now, but only one is Intel based.

By the way, if you're a Mac geek you'll be happy to know that I run this site from an Xserve. :lol:
  • peproue 0 Points
    Yes indeed! :)
  • Tim 1466 Points
    Looks like this is possible now:
    Mac based Garmin WebUpdater Available.
  • peproue 0 Points
    Thanks for the heads up!
  • peproue 0 Points
    Also POI loader for Mac as promised in Q1. :D
  • AlaskaDave 0 Points
    I used the Mac Updater on my 60CSx and it worked great. I've heard that you just need to insure your GPS is running and hooked up via. USB before launching the software or it will crash.