This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

low audio

wishbone 49 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
I just got a navigon 2100 as a gift. My first GPS unit. I'm having a great time with it. My only complaint is that my hearing is not good and I am having a hard time hearing the audible commands. Are there louder units on the market or is there a way to route the sound through my car speekers?

Comments

• P.S. Yes, I do have the volume up.
  • Boy, they don't give much info on the Navigon website..................

If it has an earphone jack and your car stereo has a cassette I would think that you could buy one of those adapters that you use to play your walkman through the car system.............
  • I looked for an earphone jack, it dis not seen to have one.
  • No earpiece jack? Then I think that you will have to return it if it truly is not loaud enough for your needs. If you do, I think your best bet is to research for what you need, narrow it down and then see if you can demo it in the store. Only you can make the decision as to what is loud enough.

Pat
  • Trying to get some info from Navigon on this.

Page 22 of the manual mentions a headphone jack.
  • the antenna/earphone jack on the unit is threaded to accept the antenna. Not sure what type of earphone jack would work in a threaded socket, but the book calls it an antenna/earphone jack on page 22. I sent an e-mail to Navigon, waiting for responce. Thanks for the page 22 info.
  • I just spoke to the help desk at Navigon about the low audio on the 2100. The manual is wrong, there is no earphone jack on this unit and no way to route it through your car speakers. Guess it’s going back. Too bad they decided to cut corners on the speaker.
  • Unfort, I just bought a mini-external speaker for the 2100 thinking it would work.

Even though I haven't even received it in the mail, prob not worth to ship it back since the total cost with shipping was $12.50.

HMMM??? Maybe I could sell it to someone who has the 5100? They're supposed to have the head-set.
  • Too bad they decided to cut corners on the speaker.
    The 2100/2120 is a bare bones entry level unit. If you want higher end features you'll need to spring for the 5100/7100. They also have auto amplification/speed volume modes.
  • Too bad they decided to cut corners on the speaker.

The 2100/2120 is a bare bones entry level unit. If you want higher end features you'll need to spring for the 5100/7100. They also have auto amplification/speed volume modes.
    Angelars
    The 2100 also has the same amplified/speed volume. just like your 5100 does. And it works well!

MPBsr25
    also you can go to the website I posted I posted earlier and buy the map set for the 5100 and put them in the 2100 with the poi files also. so I guess you saved money.earlier..at 99.00 bucks.. by not buying the 5100 ...hehehe
    Just make sure you buy the updates, that will satisfy both GPS Review and Navigon.

Koni
  • The 2100 also has the same amplified/speed volume. just like your 5100 does. And it works well!
    Yes it does work well but they would need a hardware related feature (pre-amp output/headphone jack) and not a software related feature. Also we do not have a 5100 :wink: If he had the hardware feature in their 2100 then they would be able to use many options (like the cassette adapter as mentioned earlier or a FM transmitter, etc.) to play the units voice navigation through their stereo.
  • Of course I bought the updates.

What kind of person do you think I am. :roll:
  • I looked at a Garmin 360 it looks like a better unit for me than the 2100. Has anyone used the 360?
  • I looked at a Garmin 360 it looks like a better unit for me than the 2100.
    "Better" is a subjective term. You'll need to post more specific information by what you mean by 'better' if you want posters to give you accurate responses. Having said that we'll be putting one on e-bay later this week as we find it rather lacking in useful features, BUT the 350/360 is a nice unit IF it's your first GPS. On a side note - a few weeks ago you could have picked up a 7100 for less than a 360.

The 2100 has many features that the 360 does not. However the 360 has Bluetooth which the 2100 does not. Just keep in mind that Garmins can be finicky with some phones, so double check first to make sure that your phone is compatible with the 360 before you consider Bluetooth as a usable feature. The bottom line is that there are pros and cons for both units, depending on how you plan on using the GPS. You might want to wait a few weeks until after the CES show is over to see what other GPS companies will be bringing out. If you post a detailed list of what's important to you feature wise, I can let you know if any other companies will be bringing out units in those categories. Since the 350/360 is such an old model I wouldn't be surprised to see other companies offering much better values.
  • Can anyone tell me if the sound volume on the 7100 is a noticable improvment over the 2100? I tried a garmin 360 at Best Buy and it was so loud it knocked me back a foot. As I said in my first post volume is my big concern. I like Navigon and would like to stay with them.
  • MPBsr25 0 Points
    edited January 2008
    The one thing I do know is the 7100 has a headset port.

I'm positive you could add a mini speaker.

Unfort, I bought a mini external speaker for the 2100 but it doesn't have a headset port. The 2100 manual claims that it has a headset, but it doesn't.
  • Can anyone tell me if the sound volume on the 7100 is a noticable improvment over the 2100?
    Well yes and no. I don't have a SPL meter handy but it appears that the 7100 is louder than the 2100. However, the 7100 currently does not save your volume settings, so you'll need to adjust it each time you use the unit. Hopefully Navigon will be addressing this bug in their next update coming out in a few weeks. Other than that the volume is great on the 7100, and of course you can always play it through your cars stereo and then it would be so loud that the person driving in the car next to you could also hear it :)
  • Playing the audio through the car speakers fixes the volume issue but on a long trip you lose your radio, right? on the Garmin 360 you can play mp3's and it will cut out when an audio command is broadcast.
  • on the Garmin 360 you can play mp3's and it will cut out when an audio command is broadcast.
    Sure you can play mp3's ...through a 1/2 inch monophonic speaker :roll: Even the Garmin 660 that we used to have a was a joke when it came to playing music and receiving navigation directions, as its FM transmitter had all the so-called "quality" of a Tonka toy, and you can only listen to static for so long. The fact is that there is NO system on the market today that is ideal. I know many people who have high end GPS units from various brands, and none of them listen to music while being navigated. Our 7100 has plenty of volume, certainly enough to play over our radio but we still turn the radio off when being navigated. You could of course listen to your radio and then when you hear the 7100 give a navigational direction, turn the radio down and tap the screen on the 7100 to replay the message. If you live overseas then you might have better luck with Garmins FM transmitter (which the 360 does NOT have) as foreign specs are currently better than here in the U.S. (this is the FCC's fault, not GPS manufactures). So the bottom line is that if you think that listening to a 1/2 inch monophonic speaker is good enough for your music then good luck and enjoy, but I think most other people would much rather have more useful navigational features like Reality View, voice recognition navigation or free lifetime TMC traffic. You'll need to look at the big picture and then decide which unit is the best GPS for you.
  • Playing the audio through the car speakers fixes the volume issue but on a long trip you lose your radio, right? on the Garmin 360 you can play mp3's and it will cut out when an audio command is broadcast.
    May-be you should be in the Garmin forums.. Sounds like you already have your mind made up. Garmin builds great units, I have one they do the job, I also have Magellan, I now use only the Navigon. Thats my 2 cents
  • As a side note I think I found a way to add a media player to the 7100 :) Looks like you can also add POI's to it, but I'll know more in a week or two. I need to play around with it more as I know that many will be interested in how to do this, so I'll need to come up with an easy to follow tutorial. The good news is that since the Navigon's use WinCE you can add all sorts of cool things to your 7100. You can't do that with a Garmin :wink: I also want to see if Navigon is going to add the POI feature in there soon to be released update. No sense in tweaking the 7100 if we you don't have to, right? Plus I also want to contact Navigons tech support department and ask one of the higher ups if this will effect the warranty any. We won't be touching ANY Navigon software and other products using WinCE don't seem to mind, but technically it's still hacking and they will have the final word :)
  • We won't be touching ANY Navigon software and other products using WinCE don't seem to mind, but technically it's still hacking and they will have the final word :)
    ???
    Just don't hack the firmware, copy the SD Card put the original up some place for safe keeping. And play away, just don't distribute it, and if you mess up put the original back in and start the cycle over. you don't have to reverse engineer it or decompile it, it's open architecture. I have done several things to my 2100 that made my speaker louder, more accurate at routing & and more realistic ETA's. all three of these modifications will work on 21 51 71 hundred units.

I am still looking for a copy of a Black Friday 2100 cash Receipt from staples.. someone please help!

Koni
  • Just don't hack the firmware, copy the SD Card put the original up some place for safe keeping.
    Oh we're not new at this :) We have written lots of software including some cool hacks for vB forums. Right now we're just exploring to see what the possibilities are. From what we've seen so far they are quite extensive. Really happy that Navigon is using WinCE and not their own system like Garmin. And yes, before anyone attempts to do something like this they need to make a backup job one. Can't say that enough.
    I am still looking for a copy of a Black Friday 2100 cash Receipt from staples.. someone please help!
    I'd like to but not sure what you mean :?
  • We won't be touching ANY Navigon software and other products using WinCE don't seem to mind, but technically it's still hacking and they will have the final word :)

???
    Just don't hack the firmware, copy the SD Card put the original up some place for safe keeping. And play away, just don't distribute it, and if you mess up put the original back in and start the cycle over. you don't have to reverse engineer it or decompile it, it's open architecture. I have done several things to my 2100 that made my speaker louder, more accurate at routing & and more realistic ETA's. all three of these modifications will work on 21 51 71 hundred units.

Koni
    Can you share what you did to make the speaker louder?

I did find wave files that I think were set to +6, but they were a little distorted. Maybe +3 would work better.
  • There are several ways to do this. One is by adjusting some file settings, but if this way is chosen some occasional clipping will occur as the speaker isn't made to handle the extra output. The best way to accomplish this would be to equalize the files and then compress them, etc.. Then they could be twice as loud and no clipping would occur, BUT you'd need special equipment to do this. Fortunately I have everything and more at my studio, but what I don't have is the time to tweak the files, at least not right now.
  • On the +6 there was clipping. Not sure if +3 would also clip.

I'll tell you what I tell others who are like me when it comes to volunteering.

Don't let your work job get in the way or your volunteering job...LOL

They usually get a good laugh also.

But if you're able to tweak the files to make them louder with no clipping, we can change your name to King AngelArs. Could be like the little people in the locker in "Men in Black"...LOL
  • Could be like the little people in the locker in "Men in Black"
    LOL :lol: I don't mind doing it but it would be VERY time consuming and to do it right we'd need a 2100, which I don't see happening right now, but who knows, stranger things have happened. If the 2100 uses the same files as the 7100 (which is very possible) then it's a bigger possibility of happening. Since the files would be much smaller in size it would also increase performance. Better performance = a more enjoyable user experience, which I believe is the cornerstone of PND's.
  • Could be like the little people in the locker in "Men in Black"

LOL :lol: I don't mind doing it but it would be VERY time consuming and to do it right we'd need a 2100, which I don't see happening right now, but who knows, stranger things have happened. If the 2100 uses the same files as the 7100 (
    which is very possible) then it's a bigger possibility of happening. Since the files would be much smaller in size it would also increase performance. Better performance = a more enjoyable user experience, which I believe is the cornerstone of PND's.
    Do you just need the sound files from a 2100?
  • To do it right I would need a 2100, but don't fret, after the CES show the 2100 should be drastically dropping in price (unless the upcoming update adds a new feature set, which I doubt).
  • I'm tempted to buy another one. Open it up and do some work for an external speaker.

I bought this thinking I could use it as the 2100 manual says head set.

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=35589644&source=k55945
  • All you need is a schematic. Then you can easily add a output jack on your own. Since they handle their own repairs it would probably be hard to come by though, but not impossible. If you can get close enough to the speaker voicecoil I'd be willing to be that this would work with some slight modification.
  • I'll email Navigon tech support but I highly doubt they'll send it to me.
  • They'll probably want to know what you need it for and what GPS company you work for :P Even if they do sell it to you it will probably cost in the neighborhood of 50-60.00. You could also contact 'Sams' and see if they have a copy, but they might ask you the same two questions :)
  • Time will tell.

I'll post tomorrow night if they get back to me.
  • If not them, then who else.

Navigon claimed that they don't have any schematics of the 2100.

Yeah right.
  • If not them, then who else.

Navigon claimed that they don't have any schematics of the 2100.

Yeah right.
    Just asking, why do you need a schematic to put a jack on a speaker? The main concern would there be enough room needed for the jack, unless you remove and use the space occupied by the external antenna jack.

To me thats to much trouble. I would try the telephone voice coil as suggested from radio shack.

The Mod I used does clip!
  • "If" I opened it up, would want to know ahead of time how much room I have and where I could possibly drill through the case and attach a headjack for the external speaker.