This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

How to clean the display of a GPS?

REM 0 Points
edited July 2014 in GPS Discussions
I did a search on this forum and unless I'm doing something wrong I don't see a thread on the best way to clean the display of a GPS. Can I use the same LCD cleaner on my Garmin 660 as I do on my laptop display? Also are those clear shields that go over the display good or are they actually a detriment?

Comments

• Tim 1456 Points
    LCD cleaner should work well, but use it in a tiny quantity, touch screens are not quite as "sealed". I've never seen the need for those clear shields except on the outdoor models, but other people like them. I've had the best luck with the ones by Invisible Shield.
  • REM 0 Points
    Thanks Tim, Happy New Year!
  • Use a good quality microcloth and some water. The best microcloths come from Germany and are available online at car detailing sites.
  • Use a good quality microcloth and some water. The best microcloths come from Germany and are available online at car detailing sites.
    Did the same thing. Microfiber cloth works great. Found out that Garmin screens require less cleaning than the TT. Finger print marks are pretty bad with TT's.
  • Microfiber cloth works great.
    The ones from Germany work great. The ones from discount stores like walmart, k-mart, etc. don't work that great. BTW-there are 3 different types of Microfiber cloths so make sure you use the right style for the right job, and never wash them with regular laundry soap or you will ruin how they work. Same goes for drying them in a clothes dryer.
  • infama 0 Points
    What about the damp paper toweletttes use to clean eyeglasses?
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    My experience with them are some are a bit TOO moist and wick moisture around the edges of the screen. I haven't seen where it effects the electronics, but Tim seemed to indicate that many screens are not completely sealed, which of course could create an issue.
  • infama 0 Points
    My experience with them are some are a bit TOO moist and wick moisture around the edges of the screen. I haven't seen where it effects the electronics, but Tim seemed to indicate that many screens are not completely sealed, which of course could create an issue.
    The ones I am talking about are not very damp at all.

They use some kind of volatile alcoholic solvent that is LCD safe for sure and there is no chance of any moisture seeping in.
  • eagle5 0 Points
    My past experiece with the screen protector was the touch screen effect was not as effective as before, so found myself hitting the screen harder to type in etc. Not recommended in my book!! . :)
  • LCD cleaner should work well, but use it in a tiny quantity, touch screens are not quite as "sealed". I've never seen the need for those clear shields except on the outdoor models, but other people like them. I've had the best luck with the ones by Invisible Shield.
    I got the Invisible shields and can't wait to try them on.
  • rav 0 Points
    LCD cleaner should work well, but use it in a tiny quantity, touch screens are not quite as "sealed". I've never seen the need for those clear shields except on the outdoor models, but other people like them. I've had the best luck with the ones by Invisible Shield.
    Where did you buy that and is that Invisible Shield a name brand?
  • jakman 0 Points
    Microfiber cloth works great.

The ones from Germany work great. The ones from discount stores like walmart, k-mart, etc. don't work that great. BTW-there are 3 different types of Microfiber cloths so make sure you use the right style for the right job, and never wash them with regular laundry soap or you will ruin how they work. Same goes for drying them in a clothes dryer.
    My old t shirts work great and don't come from Germany!!!! :)
  • Mark29 0 Points
    For my TomTom 920, I bought a screen protector for Play Staion Portable, it's a perfect fit. I clean it with eyeglass cleaner and a microfiber cloth, or pre-moistened eyelgass towlettes. I don't have any problem with touch screen sensitivity.

Mark
  • c$$lguy 0 Points
    Hi Eskimo,
    How is your experience with the shield? Is it worth to buy?
  • I'd like to suggest that you use any one of the following five products:

(1) Purosol (www.purosol.com)
    (2) Marine Shield screen cleaner (www.marineshieldproducts.com)
    (3) Formula MC (www.pecaproducts.com)
    (4) Eclipse Optic Cleaning System (www.photosol.com)
    (5) Klear Screen (www.klearscreen.com

I've used items (3) and (4) on my camera lens and item (5) on my
    laptops and desktops.

I suspect that (1) is the safest followed closely by (2), (3) and (4).
  • hozer 0 Points
    edited October 2008
    My past experiece with the screen protector was the touch screen effect was not as effective as before, so found myself hitting the screen harder to type in etc. Not recommended in my book!! . :)

Well I like the ones I got from Amazon.com. The pressure to the screen is the same on my Nuvi 850 with no problems.

3 Pack Premium Ultra Clear Reusable 4.3" / 4.-Inch GPS LCD Screen
    Protector with Lint Cleaning Cloth for Garmin Nuvi 200W, 205W, 250W, 260W,
    600, 610,7XX,8XX, $6.99

check it out

Cya
  • Mark29 0 Points
    I'd like to suggest that you use any one of the following five products:

(1) Purosol (www.purosol.com)
    (2) Marine Shield screen cleaner (www.marineshieldproducts.com)
    (3) Formula MC (www.pecaproducts.com)
    (4) Eclipse Optic Cleaning System (www.photosol.com)
    (5) Klear Screen (www.klearscreen.com

I've used items (3) and (4) on my camera lens and item (5) on my
    laptops and desktops.

I suspect that (1) is the safest followed closely by (2), (3) and (4).
    You put a screen shield on a camera lens :shock: As lenses are curved, I'm curious how this worked - or do you mean the LCD?

Mark
  • cyfi6 0 Points
    The instruction manual states that you can use isopropyl alchohol
  • fr8hlr 0 Points
    Can you use Monster ScreenClean for plasma tv screens?
  • I'm a long time lurker who never really posts but on this one I have to speak up on because I have been using a LCD cleaner on all my computers for years and I also use it on my two Tomtoms.

It is called monitor lizard by super-seal. I am not a person who usually recommends anything as I have been burnt in the past for doing so but with this one I don't think anyone would be unhappy.

I never bought it or seen it in any stores but you can buy it on line and I am sure you can find it on a google search.
  • Mark29 0 Points
    I'm a long time lurker who never really posts but on this one I have to speak up on because I have been using a LCD cleaner on all my computers for years and I also use it on my two Tomtoms.

It is called monitor lizard by super-seal. I am not a person who usually recommends anything as I have been burnt in the past for doing so but with this one I don't think anyone would be unhappy.

I never bought it or seen it in any stores but you can buy it on line and I am sure you can find it on a google search.
    Holy !*$&# - $13 for a 4oz bottle?? No thanks, I'll continue to use eyeglass cleaner and a microfiber cloth.
  • I'm a long time lurker who never really posts but on this one I have to speak up on because I have been using a LCD cleaner on all my computers for years and I also use it on my two Tomtoms.

Holy !*$&# - $13 for a 4oz bottle?? No thanks, I'll continue to use eyeglass cleaner and a microfiber cloth.
    I never said it was cheap but it works real well it even hides small scratches already in a flat panel. I do commercial and industrial processes so I actually spoke with the owner and I bought bulk in 4 gallon case lots so much less but I can tell you that little 14 dollar bottle will last you years.
  • Maybe I'm missing something here but why would you clean a screen that you're going to be touching all the time anyway? I haven't cleaned my screen once since I bought my GPS a few weeks ago. Now my PSP is a different story.
  • Mark29 0 Points
    Maybe I'm missing something here but why would you clean a screen that you're going to be touching all the time anyway? I haven't cleaned my screen once since I bought my GPS a few weeks ago. Now my PSP is a different story.
    Fingerprints & dust will build up over time. I bought a PSP screen overlay for my TomTom 920, and use a microfiber cloth to wipe it off occassionally.
  • I have some of these coming:

http://www.klearscreen.com/detail.aspx?ID=5
    Klear Screen Travel Singles Kit

Will see how they work.
  • I breathe on it and use whatever cotton thing I am wearing/have nearby.
  • I breathe on it and use whatever cotton thing I am wearing/have nearby.
    That's what I had been doing. The Klear Screen stuff does a nice job but it's not cheap.
  • mmsstar 96 Points
    edited April 2010
    My first Blackberry came with a nice little cloth, works on the new Cranberry as well as the Nuvi :lol:
  • I breathe on it & use a microfibre cloth. I usually use a PDA wand or the soft erasure end of a pencil to punch in directions.
  • I will let you in on a little secret that filled me with wonder and joy.

Scotch-tape:
    You know the stuff that's a half inch wide that you use for wrapping gifts.

Take a piece and tape it to your screen, then pull it off.
    Of coarse you'd have to do this a few times with new pieces to clean the whole screen.

This works mind blowing well on camera LCD screens, and the tip was given to me at a local camera shop.
    The tech at the shop put about 4 strips across my LCD screen on my high end camera and them peeled them off all at once.

Mind blowing

:shock:
  • Maybe I'm missing something here but why would you clean a screen that you're going to be touching all the time anyway? I haven't cleaned my screen once since I bought my GPS a few weeks ago. Now my PSP is a different story.
    I just use bulk gun cleaning patches cut up from old cotton T-shirts. No solution. Or the bottom of my shirt if I'm out and about.

Been doing that for years and it works just fine. Sometimes, the screen does get "printed up" quite a bit and crap/dust builds up along the case edges of the screen. You've only had your GPS for a few weeks. See if you feel the same after 6 months.
  • Old tshirts.
  • When you get your annual eye exam, get the optometrist to give you a couple of the glasses-cleaning microfiber cloths that they give away with glasses. Nice small size, usually in a plastic carry case to keep it clean. That case can fit into your GPS carry case, most likely.

Get a couple more next year, and toss the dirty ones.

Some do work better than others, so try a couple and find the one you like best. Don't need any chemicals.
  • jloh 0 Points
    Use a good quality microcloth and some water. The best microcloths come from Germany and are available online at car detailing sites.
    Hmm.. I just use whatever T-shirt I'm wearing that day. I didn't know all my T-shirts were made in Germany!! For that matter I didn't know they were microfiber either?? So AngelArs how the heck did you know?? Are you going through my drawers again?!! After I told you not to?
  • smith 0 Points
    One can also use a good quality micro-cloth and some water.There are three different types of Micro-fibre cloths, so make sure you use the right and never wash them with a laundry soap or dry them in a cloth dryer.
  • Ragman 0 Points
    From Wally World get a small travel spray container. Use 2 parts vinegar 1 part water. Spray lightly on micro-fiber cloth, then wipe. Cheap.
  • tvman44 0 Points
    What I always do is breath on the LCD display to make it fog up and then wipe it with a clean micro fiber cloth. Works great. I also do this on camera lenses, DVD's, CD's.
  • tvman44 0 Points
    I breath on the display to make it fog up and quickly wipe with a microfiber cloth. Works great. I do the same thing with eyeglasses and camera lenses.
  • markob83 0 Points
    Always use a micro-fiber cloth when cleaning lcd screens. Using other forms of cloth may lead to scratches or static electricity which could damage the unit.
  • guy48065 0 Points
    My Nuvi500 will be used offroad so I bought a screen protector for a tablet and marked out a grid on it of squares that fit my display. Cut with an exacto. Got 4 out of it for $5.
  • ozarkie 34 Points
    I would strongly advise not using any vinegar solutions. That is acetic acid. Great for cleaning household windows, but not for delicate electronics!

Plain, clear water lightly dampened microfiber cloth is fine, if the screen is REALLY dirty. Otherwise the types of eyeglass cleaning cloths are perfect.
  • I use the eye glass cloths or just breathe & wipe.

Like the suggestions about washing, I just wash separately
    In hot water & hang dry.

Buy new ones when doesn't work.

Did write down the name of that
    Expensive one online. Cleaned laptop
    Screen & wasn't sure ok just to "dust"
    Don't have lots of electronics but
    Live in dusty area.
  • Landyman 0 Points
    I have a Montana 650t.

The evening before a week long trip, I switched on my Montana to check a few things.

While waiting for it to boot, I wiped the screen to remove finger prints.

I noticed something flash on the screen and after the boot discovered that all my settings had been changed to default.

Apparently there is an undocumented feature that touching the screen while booting will give one the opportunity of resetting the options. Further touching accepted the option.