This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Maestro 4250 - backing it up?

carpeperdiem 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Vehicle Forum
I am enjoying my new 4250. Exceeds my expectations.

To back it up (that is, back up address book, saved routes, custom POIs) the book says to do a dump to an SD card. OK. Easy enough -- but how large an SD Card do I need/want? Will 1gig do the job? Address book data, some routes and a hundred custom POIs can't possibly take more than a few megabytes? Yes?

HOWEVER - can I simply plug it in and backup to a folder on my local hard drive (via usb cable?) I tried to do this -- no luck. It appears that the only backup/restore functions are via the SD card.

SO -- what size SD card do you think I need? If 1gig is overkill, then all the better.

[opinion: it's really too bad Magellan didn't allow a direct dump to a folder on a local PC via USB]

If anyone has a hack to allow this, I'm all ears.

Comments

• I dragged all the files on my 3100 to a folder on my computer without any prooblems.
  • patruns 10 Points
    A 1 gig card will be plenty for the backup. A better idea is as Bill mentions. Turn the unit on and when the warning screen comes up attach it to your PC. You will see the screen change to one that says it is connected to USB. Now, find it in Explorer and copy the entire contents to a folder on your PC. I suggested that you start from the warning screen as I suspect if you click on "ok" and go further there will be files in use that you will not be able to copy.
  • They must have changed something on the 4250 -- as soon as USB is connected to any of my PCs (win xp or mac), the 4250 gives a warning/message:
    "the USB has been connected to the unit. Please follow instructions from PC application for updating maps or software."
    There is no USB device mounted or listed in my computer(s) -- however, on the mac, in system profile (USB) for the port, I see this:
    Generic Mass Storage (PROTOTYPE--Remember to change idVendor):

Version: 0.00
    Bus Power (mA): 500
    Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
    Manufacturer: Generic Manufacturer (PROTOTYPE--Remember to change idVendor)
    Product ID: 0xffff
    Vendor ID: 0x045e
    Uh, prototype -- sounds like Magellan failed to tunr this on the 4250. I tried this on 3 computers, all the same.

My firmware version is: 2.24
    Hardware version: -3
    Product ID 746

Hmmm.. I guess I will be contacting Magellan after all... damn. This was looking good...

Can someone with a new 4250 confirm the USB issue please? Thanks.
  • sandyp 0 Points
    Interesting. I'll connect my 4250 tonight and see what message I get.

Sandy
  • patruns 10 Points
    I have the 3100 so maybe the 4250 does not show that screen. In any event the unit should show as another drive in Explorer or whatever the Mac file manager is and you should also see a removable drive for the simm slot.
  • In any event the unit should show as another drive in Explorer or whatever the Mac file manager is and you should also see a removable drive for the simm slot.
    Yes. This is what I am expecting. It does not behave this way. :-(
  • sandyp 0 Points
    I hooked up to the PC and a new drive was recognized. Opened up the Directory and found all of the 4250 system directories.

So .....

Sandy
  • I hooked up to the PC and a new drive was recognized. Opened up the Directory and found all of the 4250 system directories.
    what is your firmware version? could it be later than 2.24?
  • sandyp 0 Points
    what is your firmware version? could it be later than 2.24?
    I checked and my product information is the same as yours:

Firmware Version: 2.24
    Hardware version: -3
    Product ID: 746

I am using Win XP

Sandy
  • I checked and my product information is the same as yours:
    ugh. maybe I have a hardware issue. I sent Magellan support an email this morning (9am PST) - -- the phone lines were closed. Have not heard from them... in any event, I will be returning this unit to Costco and I'll let Magellan sort it out. I may ask Costco for a replacement just to see if it's this unit or a bigger issue... thanks for checking your device.
  • More fuel for the fire...

I took the 4250 to a real winxp machine (as opposed to intel/mac running winxp in parallels) and yes, the 4250 shows up as a drive.

It's a hardware issue. My 4250 appears to not be mac compatible.

I tested on:

Intel mac: MacBook Pro Core2Duo (2.33) running MacOSX 10.4.11 - no
    Intel mac: MacBook Pro Core2Duo (2.33) running WinXP SP2 - no
    Mac g5 desktop (PPC) dual 2.7 running MacOSX 10.4.9 - no
    Dell P4 (USB 1.x only) - yes
    AMD athlon 64 X2 custom built - yes

Upon first analysis of these results - it looks like 4250 and mac hardware do not get along... but I have no issues with plug-n-play with any other USB device (that is, 100% of USB devices will mount on my mac hardware -- including all flash media/pen drive, camera, hard drive, scanner, etc) - only 4250 will not.

I will bet my GPS that the reason the 4250 doesn't play nice with mac is that it doesn't have the correct firmware settings -- it currently has a "PROTOTYPE" empty setting... so the mac won't see it. The PC hardware appears to be more forgiving.

This is reason enough for me to return it.

Buh-bye. Magellan (for now -- hopefully they'll fix this).

PS -- the CD-ROM with the documentation tries to be mac compatible, but it's not. It includes a readme for mac users... but the links are all dead. It is clear that they want to be mac compatible, but don't know how to do it. Maybe they should pay someone for a day and they can learn all there is to know. Yes. It's not complicated.
  • patruns 10 Points
    All of Magellan units are not Mac compatible, only Windows 2000 and XP, according to the great customer support response I recently received. (Though I did manage to update my 3100 with Vista after working through some issues.................)
  • sandyp 0 Points
    It's a hardware issue. My 4250 appears to not be mac compatible.
    Glad you found the cause for your problem. Fortunately for me, I'm a PC user and don't have the Mac issue. I agree, Magellan should be able to fix this, or hire someone to do it. Not that complicated at all!

Sandy
  • Just ordered 4250 from Staples at a price-match of $399. Staples is a great place to buy - get the 2-year service agreement and PROTECT THE ENTIRE COST OF YOUR PURCHASE for 2 years! Staples will give exchange credit for the FULL PRICE of another unit - just for asking! That means as technology changes, you can trade up! Since February of 2007, I have had:
    *MIO 310x
    *Garmin Roadmate
    *Magellan 3250
    *TomTom 720
    *just ordered a 4250

As my wife says - "...never satisfied!"

Anyway... although the MIO didn't have TTS or Bluetooth, I liked it's interfaces, POIs and overall features. My wife and I used the MIO on an 8000-mile national parks adventure this fall - It worked very well. HOWEVER, I "Traded up" for TTS and BT for Hands-free dialing.

The Garmin was a bust; didn't like the interfaces or map quality and was able to "retrieve" my MIO after 1 day!

Next went to 3250 when I upgraded my phone. It was OK but speaker was not adequate for hands-free use.

TomTom 720 was very good all around for BT, EXCEPT all POIs have the US international country code (011) prefix which makes them USELESS when you try to use them!!! To top it off, I was told "...sorry for the inconvenience, but that's the way it is"!
    The TT was immediately returned!

Expect to get 4250 next week!
  • patruns 10 Points
    TomTom 720 was very good all around for BT, EXCEPT all POIs have the US international country code (011) prefix which makes them USELESS when you try to use them!!! To top it off, I was told "...sorry for the inconvenience, but that's the way it is"!
    The POIs in the TomTom have phone numbers associated with them?

Update: I just read your other post. If your map & POI files have both US and Canada (or another country), I do not see the point of having a POI without a country code. It wouldn't work for our Canadian friends.......

Of course TomTom could sell separate units in Canada & the US and maintain separate POI files..........
  • USA and Canada share 10-digit dialing. There are no country codes from USA to Canada (and vice versa).

We are talking bluetooth enabled dialing -- and most mobile phones (all?) only require 10-digits to dial USA/Canada.
  • patruns 10 Points
    I didn't mean to be so literal. (I had no clue that Canada did not have a separate country code.)

I just read some further posts on this. (Seems they are all over the place in here.) TomTom says they do this as they are not a US company. That makes sense as in Europe, you could be literally calling down the block and need a different country code.

As an experiment, I just dialed the 011 prefix and then my office phone on my AT&T cell and it knew to disregard the country code. It would seem to me the issue is really with the cell provider (or possibly the phone settings) and not the POI file............
  • It would seem to me the issue is really with the cell provider (or possibly the phone settings) and not the POI file............
    My desktop contact manager has a USB dialer integrated -- I have dialer settings/optons, such as "dial 9 for outgoing line?" "country code?", dial 1- for non-local calls? etc... and it gets complex, since in some local areas, you MUST dial 10 digits, some require 11 digits, some only require 7 digits if the call is "local", but 10 or 11 if 'not local" (even if in same area code.

So there is no sure way to do this...

BUT -- most carriers will take a 10 digit number in the US and dial it.

This is where some bluetooth prefs would be useful. Since the phone numbers are coming FROM the gps, the phone's prefs shouldn't matter -- the gps should be smart enough to dial the correct digits for the paired phone (as prefs set by the user).

Agreed?
  • patruns 10 Points
    Agreed?
    Partially..... ultimately the carrier should decide. As I said, I physically dialed with the 011 prefix on my AT&T phone, so all numbers were sent. AT&T knew enough to ignore the prefix since I was dialing a number in the US.
  • carpeperdiem,

I'm having the same problems with mine as far as PROTOTYPE and not regnizing the devise as a USB device. It says on the box that it is compatable with Vista. Could this be my problem?

Patruns,

You mentioned you got it to work with Vista. any help would be appreciated.

robcrip
  • Tim 1481 Points
    It ultimately comes down to the capabilities of the phone. Some know what to do with the prefix, and some don't. I was playing around with this the other day on a Verizon phone. Obviously I could dial the 10 digit number just fine from the phone itself. When I tried to use the USA country code + the 10 digit number the call failed. I found a preference on the phone to tell it what the local country code was and when I dialed the country code + 10 digit number it worked. After making that setting change I could then call from the TomTom. It was still sending the country code + 10, but since I'd changed the preference on the phone it started working again.

I agree this isn't as elegant as TomTom could make it. Perhaps they suspect there are a number of people with phones of a different country code that are going to use it in the USA. In which case if it didn't send the country code I suspect the call might fail.

But with that scenario they are making it work for a small fraction of people while breaking it for a larger portion of people who don't have the phone preferences set properly or who have phones that otherwise don't know what to do with the country code.
  • infama 0 Points
    This kind of info should be in their manual and on their website!
  • infama 0 Points
    Since the 920 is MEANT for travel, it should have the prefence oftion of setting the dialing protocol, ie International or domestic! Domestic location would be set up automatically based on GPS position!
  • patruns 10 Points
    Patruns,

You mentioned you got it to work with Vista. any help would be appreciated.

robcrip
    I have the 3100 and Magellan says the update is not Vista compatible. They still say that. I turned my unit on to the 1st screen (blue warning screen) and then plugged in the unit. The screen changed to saying it was in USB mode and Vista saw the unit as another drive and the SD card as a removable drive. I also right clicked on the .zip folder and let Vista uncompress it. From there is was smooth albeit, slow sailing.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Infama, the country prefix code issue is only because TT "dumbed down" the 920. :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
  • infama 0 Points
    Infama, the country prefix code issue is only because TT "dumbed down" the 920. :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
    Agreed!

Dumbed down for Europe.
  • Patruns,

I tried this with my 4250 with no luck. I waited for the blue screen, and then plugged it in and i got the USB message on the screen. Then it tried to download the driver software and could not find it, and it did not show as a drive.

I did get it to work on my laptop with XP though. I would just prefer to use my desktop for ease of use. Thanks for the help.
  • patruns 10 Points
    Hmmm... Mine is a 3100, though I would be surprised if that made a difference. I also had previously connected other USB devices including a flash drive, camera, USB to hard drive and a Bluetooth dongle. Perhaps I already had a driver it could work with as it recopgnized mine immediately. Glad you got it working though. Magellan now says they are in the process of rolling out a Vista and a 2000 compatibkle update,
  • Patruns,

Thanks for the info. I guess I will just have to wait for Magellan to release the update for Vista.
  • patruns 10 Points
    Well, since you managed with your laptop, I guess you are already updated and don't need to wait. :wink:
  • Hello! I just got a Magellan Maestro 4250 as well and I can't get it to work on my Mac or my Mac+Parallels. I desperately want it to work (I hate hardware devices that only work on Windows machines) even if it involves writing my own hardware driver for it. Could someone else with this problem please try running "sudo dmesg" in the Terminal after plugging it in and see if they get messages like this:

AppleUSBEHCI[0x3de6800]::Found a transaction past the completion deadline on bus 0xfd, timing out! (Addr: 3, EP: 2)
  • Magellan products do not work with Macs and they do not seem to have a plan to make them work. Sorry.......
  • Thank you for the unhelpful reply! The device is a mass-storage compliant USB device with a FAT filesystem, which the mac should be able to read. However, the device appears to act out-of-spec, which is why the mac doesn't read it. The solution is a write a hardware driver that understands it's out-of-spec behavior and works anyway.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Thank you for the unhelpful reply!
    Then contact Magellan and ask them to write the hardware driver.
  • I'd like to believe Magellan would be willing to provide a Mac driver, but since they've apparently been unable as of yet to provide even a Vista driver, a Mac driver is probably not on the horizon. Anyway, I'd like to write a driver, which is why I posted the original question to other Mac+4250 owners to assist in debugging the issue.