This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Navigon 7100 - I highly recommend this unit

jaynavigate 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
This is my first experience with a GPS unit. I went with the Navigon 7100 because it offers free traffic reports, and pretty much has all the features I could ever want in a GPS unit. I went from San Franciso to LA, LA to Las Vegas, Las Vegas to LA, and LA to San Francisco, and a lot of different places within those cities for the past four weeks using this GPS, and it's been a solid performer. I also thought I got a descent price over the holidays, as staples offered it for 399 with a 50 dollar rebate. My experience thus far has been great. I've read the reviews on here and I think that a lot of them seems to be about right.

One problem: I've had experience a bit of performance lag when keying in my addresses some times when using the 2GB SD Card. Since I upgraded to an AData 8GB SDHC Card Class 6, I haven't noticed any slow downs when keying in, so it is notably faster. I highly recommend this card if you have this unit. You could find this card for about 37 bucks on Newegg. At least the rebate will cover that.

I enjoy the 3d reality view. It really helps knowing what lane to be in ahead of time. IMO, it's better that it's a static image rather than dynamic. If it was dynamic, you'd probably be looking at the screen a little too long than you should. I've read the gripes but I don't see any benefit for a driver if it was a dynamic 3d image, and it could potentially be a dangerous distraction for the driver if it was.

Bluetooth function works great. Doesn't have a problem recongnizing my phone. But the fact that it cannot access or import your contact list renders this function useless. I primarily use my car stereo for this purpose, so it's not that big of a deal with me

I found the unit to be spot on, telling me to go into the lane I needed to be, and when to take the turn. It is very precise. The text to speech is good enough to understand, and the female voice doesn't sound robotic as you would think it would. It will mis-pronunciate words, but not to the point where you wouldn't know what street or highway to take.

I also liked how it saves previous destinations. It saves thirty of them.

I haven't really played with POIs, but I do see a lot of them. The traffic reports seem to work well. It actually did reroute me when the I-5 was busy and took me onto less busy highways, so I was quite impressed. Unfortunately the antenna must be connected to recieve traffice reports. I would not get traffic reports without the external antenna. I wish it was built in. The battery life seems insanely short. 2 hours at best. If your going to use this outside the car without a car charger, forget about buying this unit. I planned to use a car charger at all times, so this is a non-issue for me. I do have a road bicycle but mounting this thing on it isn't practical.

The suction/arm mount works great for me. It's very sturdy and strong. If he road is rough it will wobble a bit, but that's to be expected. I do live in CA, and I don't think it's legal if it's center mounted on the windshield . I find that it works best for me mounted on the far left side of the windshield.

Pros:

- Precise in your basic GPS functions
- Bluetooth connectivity works great
- Very nice screen and layout
- Pretty Menu System / Graphics
- sophisticated looking shell
- Voice Commands
- Saves Previous Destinations
- POIs
- 3d reality view really helps
- You can upgrade to a bigger and higher class SD Card. (I'm using an 8GB Card, not sure if you can go higher than this.) Knowing me I would of bought this card anyways, even if it did come with a 4GB SD.
- Good supplied mounting system, and accessories(AC Adapter, Car Charger, Case, USB cable, Antenna).
- Price has significantly dropped
- Free traffic reports...this product can potentially pay for itself in the long run, big applause for Navigon for including this feature. The traffic reports function well and the unit will consider traffic when planning your route as I discovered.

Cons:

- Slow with the supplied 2GB SD Card. Not too sure if this is due to size or class of the card. Navigon should of been supplied with a bigger and faster SD card.
- Can't import Contact list. This is a shame as the bluetooth functionality in my experience is solid.
- Small icons may be an issue for those with nubby fingers. The person who designed this had slender fingers like me.
- Battery life is poor. I'm wondering if there is some kind of break-in period for the battery. Keep in mind I've had the unit for a little over 3 weeks.
- No updates or any guarantee of an update from Navigon that importing contact lists will be possible. To me, this is the biggest issue that would deter people from buying this product if they intend to use the bluetooth function.
- $350 after rebate is still a bit pricey for a product that still has a questionable support system - there isn't one single update for this unit.

For me personally, the Pros simply outweighs the Cons. And I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to pay for traffic reports. If you buy a faster and bigger SD card you got a teriffic unit on your hands. And if navigon supplies an update that lets you import your contact list, this would probably be the best GPS unit hands down.

Comments

• One problem: I've had experience a bit of performance lag when keying in my addresses some times when using the 2GB SD Card. Since I upgraded to an AData 8GB SDHC Card Class 6, I haven't noticed any slow downs when keying in, so it is notably faster.

The suction/arm mount works great for me. It's very sturdy and strong. If he road is rough it will wobble a bit, but that's to be expected. I do live in CA, and I don't think it's legal if it's center mounted on the windshield . I find that it works best for me mounted on the far left side of the windshield.
    I'm glad you posted about the SDHC card. Maybe I will try it. I hear the TomTom says no to the SDHC and so does my Nextar. But I might try anyway.

The California thing with the windshields I see alot. Be careful, I think anywhere can be a problem if a police officer needs to meet his quota at the end of the month - oops, we're lectured there are no quotas :)
  • I've had experience a bit of performance lag when keying in my addresses some times when using the 2GB SD Card. Since I upgraded to an AData 8GB SDHC Card Class 6, I haven't noticed any slow downs when keying in, so it is notably faster.
    Interesting about your experience with the memory card. I tried a Navigon 2100 (I didn't want to spend more than $150 on my first GPS) and returned it largely because of the sluggish response to data entry. I had thought that it was a matter of too slow a processor (or too-bloated code for the processor) and it hadn't occurred to me that it was an issue with memory. I suspect that the improvement is due to the speed of the memory rather than the size.
  • CARDS1 0 Points
    Wish I had known about the Card upgrade Jay.
    I bought this Unit when it first came out and returned it for the TT 720
    because I thought the Touch Screen wasn't sensitive enough.
    I loved everything else about the unit, except the Routing in one
    instance that I know of.
    Keep posting on how the unit works for You, I may give the TT to my Daughter and get another 7100
  • While I haven't tried it yet, I just bought a 4gb SDHC card for my 2100. Navigon confirms that it will work.
  • Not too sure if this is due to size or class of the card.
    This is due to the class of the card, not the size. A larger card would actually respond slower as it has more area to scan. Why oh why Navigon didn't use built-in memory like most of the other companies I don't know. It is the only thing hardware wise about the unit that I don't like. I suppose it was a space issue, but I'd imagine that most people would rather have a unit with built-in memory than a built-in stylus.
    Can't import Contact list.
    Have you tried importing them via Bluetooth? I will check later tonight to see if they can be imported via the Navigon Fresh software program.
    Small icons may be an issue for those with nubby fingers.
    This is because there is more information on the screen. We use the zoom feature to compensate for this and it works fine. Just wish that Navigon posted these controls directly on the map instead of having to dig for them.
    Battery life is poor.
    You should be getting 3.5-4 hours of use with the unit. If not try recycling the battery for a few charges. That usually reconditions these types of batteries.
    No updates or any guarantee of an update from Navigon that importing contact lists will be possible.
    The latest word is that updates will be posted some time between the end of Jan '08 and the beginning of Feb '08. All I know for sure is that better routing will be included. If I hear anything else I'll let you know, but the updates ARE on their way soon.
    $350 after rebate is still a bit pricey
    I disagree. They were selling Garmin 350's for 449.00 this past holiday and the 350 isn't half of what a 7100 is. Some of Garmins new units coming out after the CES show will end up costing $1300.00 by the time you get the TMC antenna and other items not included with the unit added. The 7100 COMES with all of this. Add in $60.00 a year, each and every year for the traffic service that Navigon does NOT charge you for, and it's an even better value. Plus the 7100 has features not offered by other brands. We paid twice as much for our Garmin 660 and the 7100 blows it out of the water. I agree that 350.00 is a lot of money, BUT it's not a lot when you consider the market and all that's included with the 7100. The pricing will come down though. It has to as there is too much competition among all the brands. The only thing that these companies can do to keep the pricing up is to offer new features that aren't out yet, like bigger screens and voice navigation, but even there the 7100 already has that feature so I think the Navigon 7100 is currently the best value of any GPS unit on the market :wink:
  • Ken-55 0 Points
    Wish I had known about the Card upgrade Jay.
    I bought this Unit when it first came out and returned it for the TT 720
    because I thought the Touch Screen wasn't sensitive enough.
    I loved everything else about the unit, except the Routing in one
    instance that I know of.
    Keep posting on how the unit works for You, I may give the TT to my Daughter and get another 7100

I'm thinking that they've fixed the touch screen problem because the demo unit that I tried in a store was difficult, but the 5100 that I got earlier this week is very responsive.
  • One problem: I've had experience a bit of performance lag when keying in my addresses some times when using the 2GB SD Card. Since I upgraded to an AData 8GB SDHC Card Class 6, I haven't noticed any slow downs when keying in, so it is notably faster.

I'm glad you posted about the SDHC card. Maybe I will try it. I hear the TomTom says no to the SDHC and so does my Nextar. But I might try anyway.

The California thing with the windshields I see alot. Be careful, I think anywhere can be a problem if a police officer needs to meet his quota at the end of the month - oops, we're lectured there are no quotas :)
    Thanks for that info. I honestly don't want to buy a dash mount. Guess I'm going to have to call the local PD and asked them to make sure.
  • Can't import Contact list. Have you tried importing them via Bluetooth? I will check later tonight to see if they can be imported via the Navigon Fresh software program.
    Any updates yet if you were able to do this, because I sure can't figure it out. I'm pretty positive importing contacts cannot be done. I can't even find a way to make a contact list through the unit itself.

Your last post in this thread gives me confidence that I went in the right direction for my first gps unit. I plan on sticking with this unit for about ten years to get my moneys worth. I'm sure by then, navigon should have worked out the bugs :D
  • MPBsr25 0 Points
    edited January 2008
    For those who don't want a dash mount check out...

http://www.proclipusa.com/deviceholders/deviceholders.aspx

You can either go with a "device holder" or "move clip" plus the vehicle mount.

I bought the device holders and move clips so I can take the Navigon with me in either car.

Unfort, you can't post pics here but check of forum

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253096

and scroll down to MPBX3. I have 2 postings showing the 2100 with the Proclips.

I'm not associated with Proclip, but if you have any questions please ask.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry, didn't realize I could post pics here.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I too have had great success with proclip.

(I don't mind images posted here as long as they are a reasonable file size.)
  • Any updates yet if you were able to do this, because I sure can't figure it out. I'm pretty positive importing contacts cannot be done. I can't even find a way to make a contact list through the unit itself.
    First I'll need so more information from you, like what kind of contact list are you trying to make? What program are you using for your contact list? I know the 7100 can import files via the Bluetooth section but I haven't played around with it yet, but I'd be more than willing to experiment with it if I knew what exactly you were looking for. Navigon Fresh won't help you with a contact list as it is more geared toward updating your 7100, installing newer maps, and backing up the unit, etc.

Regarding Proclips, they can get rather costly quick. There is another company that makes a very similar product which costs only around 4.99-9.99. I think whey are sold at Wally World or Target. I'll try to locate and post a link here for everyone.
  • Proclip costs can add up, but I felt that they're worth it.

Good quality and I didn't want a windshield or top dash mount unit.
  • I didn't want a windshield or top dash mount unit.
    I completely agree. Some units can look pretty mickey mouse mounted there, but in some cars there simply isn't a good place to mount anything. We did a quick search and here are a few alternatives to proclips. Hope it helps someone:

One

Two

Three

Four

Five
  • Any updates yet if you were able to do this, because I sure can't figure it out.
    Hi Jay. I was able to successfully import a file onto the 7100 via the Bluetooth control panel. It sent the file to the "My Flash Disk" folder. I also learned that the 7100 actually has 3 voices, and not one. They are Sarah, Isabela and Celine. They are all in the Sound folder. It also has a "Fonts" folder :D There should be an XML file located somewhere (possibly the POI folder) that would read off of the contact list that you import, but I haven't checked it out just yet because there are so many folders to explore. I'm also looking into changing the splash screen like on the Garmins. I'll let you know if I find anything.
  • Nothing wrong with the vent clips but I felt that they might not be secure enough and might possibly break the vent each time the GPS is removed.

I remove the GPS each time I leave the car and with the Proclip move clips, the GPS slides in/out. All pieces are made of heavy plastic. The vehicle mount, mounts around part of the dash with no drilling into the dash.
  • Hi Jay. Here's a quick update: Just wanted to give you the good news, it IS possible to add POI files to the 7100. However I'm going to wait a few weeks to see if Navigon adds this new feature to their update first. BTW you can also add a media player to the 7100 and the navigational instructions will play louder over the music :wink: I'll be collecting a bunch of 7100 'tricks and tips' and posting them in a separate thread later this month, but I first wanted you to know that it IS possible to do what you want to do :)
  • Hi Jay. Here's a quick update: Just wanted to give you the good news, it IS possible to add POI files to the 7100. However I'm going to wait a few weeks to see if Navigon adds this new feature to their update first. BTW you can also add a media player to the 7100 and the navigational instructions will play louder over the music :wink: I'll be collecting a bunch of 7100 'tricks and tips' and posting them in a separate thread later this month, but I first wanted you to know that it IS possible to do what you want to do :)
    Wow, I'm very interested in the media player feature now that I have about 6 gigs to play with. Is it just for music or can it play video too? As far as the contact lists go, what I would want it to do is store phone numbers with a name, just like my cell phone. That's what I mean by importing contact lists. That way I can easily access it through the menu system without having to dial the whole number every time.
  • Is it just for music or can it play video too?
    It is just for music, BUT I was also talking with a German engineer who told me that he has video playing on his 5100, as well as some games. Later this month I'll be talking with him again (and possibly a few other engineers) to get the details and transcribe everything over to the 7100. We're also looking into working on a few other projects, like turning it into a PDA, and our version of the iPhone. I've nicknamed it the naviPhone :wink:
  • infama 0 Points
    One problem: I've had experience a bit of performance lag when keying in my addresses some times when using the 2GB SD Card. Since I upgraded to an AData 8GB SDHC Card Class 6, I haven't noticed any slow downs when keying in, so it is notably faster.

SDHC works on TT x20s. I even know of 1 person running a 16gd card and has 14gb of data on it...no probs. Its a newegg card and costs $75 delivered.
  • Continued conversation from this thread...
    Internal memory...not on SD cards.
    The 920/T has a 400 MHz CPU and 64MB internal RAM. I still don't know where this "20 Gig" figure is coming from...
    GPSMag was big on this and I dont trust them, so I can buy this.
    This is one reason why I only come here, and one other site for my information - it's unbiased. I know for a fact that one passionate French site gets 'goodies' from time to time from certain manufactures. Now you tell me how a person can review that product and be completely honest about it pro and con? Tim (from this site) does NOT do that! He won't even let the manufacture buy him a steak, let alone a GPS unit :wink: That, in a nutshell, is why I only go to this and one other site. They are honest and unbiased and isn't that what a good review is supposed to be? It sounds like GPSMag possibly takes a few goodies from time to time from manufactures and that makes them partial. When I am reading a review (of any kind) I want the reviewer to be my eyes and ears for that new product, NOT try to make my mind up about buying it.
    Fair enuff. However, since you rely mainly on voice, why RV at all?
    I rely mainly on voice, not completely on voice. There are times when a good song may be on the radio and I might have it playing a bit too loud, and looking at Reality View is simply quicker than having the unit repeat the voice command. It's like they say "a picture is worth a thousand words" :wink:
    If they had a 9100 with dual continental mapping, maybe people like me would become interested. :wink:
    Who knows, maybe the 7150 will have that :) Also, when the new update comes out they are supposed to address something regarding adding maps, so maybe they are adding that. We'll know more in a few weeks :)
  • infama 0 Points
    Internal non-volatile memory, where the map data is stored. the 64mb is volatile RAM.

No operational need for an SD card.

Nuff said about GPSrag, ahem, I mean GPSmag.
  • Internal non-volatile memory, where the map data is stored.
    I know the discontinued 910 had a 20 gig hard drive but I can't seem to verify that the 920 does, neither from the tomtom site or the units manual. On what page do they talk about it? :?
  • infama 0 Points
    Internal non-volatile memory, where the map data is stored.

I know the discontinued 910 had a 20 gig hard drive but I can't seem to verify that the 920 does, neither from the tomtom site
    or the units manual. On what page do they talk about it? :?
    Sorry if I confused you. The 910 has 20gb and the 920 has 4gb. Somehow it seems that I gave you the wrong impression. All maps are located on the 4gb internal flash memory of the 920. The SD slot is for supplemental memory and is not operationally needed.

Again, thanks for 'selling' the Navigon. You have improved its profile in my eyes. I still prefer the TT, but will watch Navigon more closely. :wink:

A '7150' could be a very interesting offering.
  • The 910 has 20gb and the 920 has 4gb. Somehow it seems that I gave you the wrong impression.
    Well yes, I thought we were comparing current models :wink: Not many people here would be interested in buying a discontinued model. But don't fret, I'm betting that now that solid state memory is all the rage, that we'll see TT's and Navigons galore with this feature. You can rule out garmin adding this feature until 2009, and even then they'd probably over charge for it, like they do everything else :wink:
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    How else are they going to pay for the engineering costs on the Colorado :lol:
  • infama 0 Points
    How else are they going to pay for the engineering costs on the Colorado :lol:
    LoL
  • tomj03 0 Points
    and even then they'd probably over charge for it, like they do everything else
    TomTom now has both feet inside North_America door. Wait until Mio & Navigon could do the same, they wouldn't be able to do that for not very long ! :D
  • TomTom now has both feet inside North_America door.
    Too bad it's the bathroom door :D
    Wait until Mio & Navigon could do the same, they wouldn't be able to do that for not very long !
    Why not? Things in this industry can change overnight :wink:
  • infama 0 Points
    TomTom now has both feet inside North_America door.

Too bad it's the
    bathroom door :D

I like that analogy, it means they are "cleaning up". LoL
    Wait until Mio & Navigon could do the same, they wouldn't be able to do that for not very long !
    Why not? Things in this industry can change overnight :wink:
    The US may be reduced to a 5 way dedicated PND market in a year. TT, Garmin, Mio, Navigon and Magellan. Note, 3 of them will have NT maps from Nokia. Navigon will have the old routing part, but will have to deal wih Nokia for maps. HP has an outside chance of making it in the dedicated space, but will likely be competitor to Apple in the PDA/PND/PHONE device market...all wifi/phone connected devices. Nokia will be the 800lb gorilla in this segment.

TT, Mio and Navigon are Euros, while so is Nokia and Teleatlas.

Magellan and Garmin may be piggies in the middle as Nokia does not play fair and Nice. No matter what they say now, they are ruthless. I know this from my HP days!!! They are also not well positioned to switch to killer app device segment mentioned above. Garmin has the advantage of having deeeeep GPS knowhow. If nothing else, they will make a great partner for somebody with their knowledge base.

I see TT evolving into a software/services player as the standalone market declines over time. Their Linux focus and map data ownership will also make them a potential future target for the likes of HP/Apple. If the buyer signs a deal with GM for HUD tech, then they will have a usage leg-up for a while. Imagine a larger version of the iphone with 3.5inch screen, TTS, HUD projection from cradle, on-line maps and built-in maps, same for POIs, wifi, and tons of cool INTEGRATED apps like contact lists. You got me thinking AngelArs.
  • Navigon will have the old routing part, but will have to deal wih Nokia for maps.
    I'm sure their contract was finalized a long time before Nokia got into the mix :wink:
    If nothing else, they will make a great partner for somebody with their knowledge base.
    They announced today that they are partnering with Panasonic.
  • infama 0 Points
    Navigon will have the old routing part, but will have to deal wih Nokia for maps.

I'm sure their contract was finalized a long time before Nokia got into the mix :wink:

Oh, so naive. You dont know Nokia.
    I trust them as far as I can throw 'em.

If nothing else, they will make a great partner for somebody with their knowledge base.

They announced today that they are partnering with
    Panasonic.
    Not strategic enough!
  • You dont know Nokia. I trust them as far as I can throw 'em.
    It's not about trust. They are holding the big Enchilada right now with Navteq so they'll choose the song that everyone has to dance to, unless Tela Atlas does something about it :)
  • Navigon just updated their site, so that's a good sign that they're getting ready to release the update :)
  • Lost 0 Points
    interesting post
  • Does the Navigon 7100 list possible street names if you just put few first letters in ? will it guess the street mame right ?
    Yes :) Download the owners manual here and check out page 24 and on. Sometimes you don't even need to enter the street name, just a zip code if your destination is near the center of the town. It's very flexible, you can even enter in symbols into the address.
    How is the mount ? is it big ? i have a very small car , will it hide the windshield ?
    I personally think it's the best mount on the market, bar none. It doesn't 'look' like a typical mount. Most mounts look like they belong in a cement truck, but this one looks very stylish, and you could use it in a Lincoln and you'd never know it didn't come with the car. You can see a picture of it below.

it appears the Navigon 7100 TTS don't pronounce small streets.. is it true ?
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. It has pronounced every street that we've come across. However I do remember reading that the new update is going to improve on this for some areas.
    how many voices and languages does it have ?
    Technically 3, but I haven't found how to change them just yet. It's probably in one of the XML files.
    Im guessing it doesn't feature gas price either ?
    Prices, no, at least not yet, but it does list gas stations.
    Now i heard the routing algorithm wasn't great on 7100.
    I think this was limited to the very first units that came out. Our unit works great, in fact it has found better routes than our garmin 660 lists. Keep in mind that the Navigon has MANY settings to control the algorithms, and if you don't tell it exactly what you want it will make its own guess. I know for a fact that some of the first people who complained about this never even looked at the manual, so that should tell you something :) The update is also going to address routing so by the end of the month this shouldn't be an issue, although as I said before, it's not an issue for us as it stands right now. One thing I CAN tell you is that it is the fastest RE-routing device that we've ever seen. It's almost instantaneous (5-10 seconds).
    can you just leave it plugged to the lighter during the trip ?
    Yes.
    Do you need extra antenna for traffic feature ?
    Depends. In some areas yes, in some areas no. I believe a second TMC antenna is located in the cigarette lighter so if you use it as you described above then it shouldn't be a problem.
    Overall, do you recommand this device ?
    As a first time GPS no, simply because there is too much going on while you're using it. You can however turn off each of the features, but most first time users don't (won't) do that. Other than that YES I highly reccomend it, especially when you consider all the features that it has, plus free traffic, lower pricing than other high-end units, voice command, etc. It's not perfect, but most of the things that people talk about are software issues, and those can be easily corrected. You can also use it for much more than 'just' a GPS device because it's based on Win CE. We've got ours set up to watch movies, but the number of apps you can add are limitless. The pluses definitely out weigh any occasional negative. BTW - if you're looking for a good case then go to radio shack. They have a Navigon leather case for around 20.00 that is REALLY nice.
  • Lost 0 Points
    hey thats an interesting picture of the dash+windshield

But how do you turn the angle towards the driver seat ?

Thats how my dash look like... im wondering how it will look like :lol:

and by the way, Thanks much for taking your time to answer all my questions ! much appreciated

• But how do you turn the angle towards the driver seat ?
    It turns 360 degrees plus it also swivels. You can also buy the bayonet mount section separately and add it to any other mounting system.
    and by the way, Thanks much for taking your time to answer all my questions ! much appreciated
    Glad to help. If it's at all possible to check one out at the store I highly recommend doing that. Playing around with one for ten minutes in your own hands is worth more than all the reviews around. One mans ceiling is another mans floor :wink:
  • Lost 0 Points
    Yea, i just downloaded and printed the manual.

Manual was quite big. 100 pages. :lol:

but i couldn't find in the manual how to change voices and languages.

On youtube there's a 7100 with a deutch voice lady. Can i get that voice too ? or is it just the british accent ?

In the manual it seems to be a suction cup..
    So i guess you can remove the mount anytime you want..

And how do you know the model you buy is not from the early batch ? i don't think the store who sell the Navigon here is an authorized dealer.. its more like a bazar that sells all kind of electronic devices.. but its the cheapest place if found.. by atleast 100.00.
  • but i couldn't find in the manual how to change voices and languages.
    Currently it is not in there, but this might be addressed in the update. On the unit there are 3 folders with 3 different voices. All have the same files. I haven't had the time to look but my guess is that you'd simply need to change the folder name in a XML file.
    And how do you know the model you buy is not from the early batch ?
    You don't, but you can open it up at the store and check. It should be version 77 or higher. I wouldn't think that there would be many old versions still around, and even if there were the update would make it a moot point.
  • Lost 0 Points
    i may go with the Navigon 5100

Not sure, but it seems the Navigon 5100 will fit better in my small car.

I just hope the 5100 has all the features of the 7100.
  • As far as I know the only differences between the two models are screen size and the lack of Bluetooth in the 5100. The 5100 also has the ability to be used in portrait mode. Other than that, the two models are fairly similar, both incorporating SiRF Star III GPS chipsets, Samsung 400 Mhz processors and 64 MB of RAM and ROM memory. There are slight cosmetic differences too, the 7100 has a piano black look to it, where as the 5100 is more chrome like.
  • it does not allow you to enter intersections
    LOL :) Just found out that it DOES allow you to do this :wink:
  • infama 0 Points
    it does not allow you to enter intersections

LOL :) Just found out that it DOES allow you to do this :wink:
    Actually, it was the reviewer who said this. I would not know. LoL

How is it done?
  • You have to stand on your left foot, shake your right hand in the air and then.... oh wait, wrong directions :)

If I remember correctly you go to New Destination > Enter an Address > City First. Enter the name of the city or the zip code of intersection. Enter the name of the first destination street. The trick is do NOT enter the house number (leave that field blank to display the Intersection field). Tap on the 'Start Navigation' button. Enter the second street name. The 7100 calculates a route to the intersection of the streets you have entered :D

I should write the manual for Navigon :P
  • infama 0 Points
    You have to stand on your left foot, shake your right hand in the air and then.... oh wait, wrong directions :)

If I remember correctly you go to New Destination > Enter an Address > City First. Enter the name of the city or the zip code of intersection. Enter the name of the first destination street. The trick is do NOT enter the house number (leave that field blank to display the Intersection field). Tap on the 'Start Navigation' button. Enter the second street name. The 7100 calculates a route to the intersection of the streets you have entered :D

I should write the manual for Navigon :P
    Wow, that is complicated. Seems like a hack that you invented. LoL
  • Well not exactly. You basically just don't enter in the address number, so if you would normally enter in 123 Main Street, you'd just enter in Main Street. Plus I doubt hardly anyone would use a feature like this. We NEVER used it on our Garmin 660. Most people want directions to a specific address, not the intersection of two roads. Was just pointing out that it is possible to do if someone really needed to :wink:
  • Tried it on the 2100, Unfort while the Intersection box is there, it's greyed out.

Wonder if it could be modded to accept?
  • Anything can be modded :wink: Even the CAPTCHA fields that you see websites using was just recently hacked.
  • Other than that, the two models are fairly similar, both incorporating SiRF Star III GPS chipsets, Samsung 400 Mhz processors and 64 MB of RAM and ROM memory.
    My 7100 came with 256 Rom. Are you saying the rom was downgraded in later models like the 4gb memory cards?
  • The intersection option is very helpful actually. My brother recently bought a new house in a subdivision that does not exist. By having the closest intersection I was able to navigate extremely close to his house without him giving me really bad directions that would have gotten me lost :lol: Now he just had to give me directions for 1 block.

Not something I'd use a tremendous amount. That's pretty much the only time I could think of using it.