This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Navigon 7100 - I highly recommend this unit

2»

Comments

• Upacreek 0 Points
    It seems that battery life continues to be an issue for the 7100. Or has it been resolved in models produced more recently? This seems to me to a big deal if you were hoping to use it off the charger. Is it only the 7100? Comparisons between the 2100Max and 7100 suggest the 7100 might be a better deal, but if hardware-wise, especially the battery, the 2100Max is better then I wonder whether it is a good deal.
  • Phred 0 Points
    The intersection option is very helpful actually. My brother recently bought a new house in a subdivision that does not exist. By having the closest intersection I was able to navigate extremely close to his house without him giving me really bad directions that would have gotten me lost :lol: Now he just had to give me directions for 1 block.

Not something I'd use a tremendous amount. That's pretty much the only time I could think of using it.
    The 7100 user manual also mentions that it's possible to navigate to a city without giving a specific address.

This feature is also in the Garmins, where "cities" is offered as a find item. On the 7100 you search for an address by city and then just enter the city (no address), and according to the manual, it plots a course to the middle of the given city.

This feature is useful for people traveling long distances who just want to get to a given town on a map several hundred miles away without having to get any more specific than that.
  • Phred 0 Points
    It seems that battery life continues to be an issue for the 7100. Or has it been resolved in models produced more recently? This seems to me to a big deal if you were hoping to use it off the charger. Is it only the 7100? Comparisons between the 2100Max and 7100 suggest the 7100 might be a better deal, but if hardware-wise, especially the battery, the 2100Max is better then I wonder whether it is a good deal.
    What is the issue with battery life? It seems like the unit I got from Costco last week is performing as I expected. The user manual says (pg 93-94) to expect 2-3 hours on full power, and 4-5 hours otherwise.

Mine on the desk at full power, GPS receiver active, daylight setting at max, ran for just under 2 hours. Switching to night mode, it ran for a bit more than 3 hours. I would expect the 4-5 hours they mention to be in handheld use where a person might 1) reduce the screen intensity and 2) go to StandBy mode when they're not looking at the unit (since reacquisition seems fairly quick).

Mostly I have it plugged into my car's lighter, so I guess battery isn't an issue for me, but I can see where someone taking it on a day hike might be concerned ... OTOH it seems like there are better GPS choices for that kind of activity.
  • coop 0 Points
    my 7100 will last about 1 1/2-2 hours without being plugged in. Drops the most in the last 1/2 hour.
  • Nav 0 Points
    my 5100 will last over 3 hours on highest bright setting & on standy in my car all day over 8 hours still doesnt drop past two bars. No complaints on my 5100. But the battery complaints on the 7100 kinda keep me from upgrading. I like not having to plug it in my 2 hour or less trips
  • Phred 0 Points
    I see. I guess I've always been used to plugging my car GPS's (4 Garmins and 1 Mio) so I've never been concerned about the battery life. It wasn't till I needed to take my Garmin IQue 3600 on a walk around town that I realized how short the battery life on these things can be.

I guess the larger screen size on the 7100 compared to the 5100 cut into the battery life, but this has always been an issue with small computers (palmtops and PDAs). But I guess if you've formerly had much better performance on an older model, then it's hard to reconcile with life among the guzzlers.

Small computers were never the same after the demise of the HP200LX (which once had a following of people using it as a GPS). Two months on a pair of AA's ... well those were the days :(
  • Well I actually recently just purchased this unit once again. I had bought it for 399 at staples, but returned it. Now I bought it at amazon for 299. The battery life definitely leaves much to be desired. Still using the adata 8gb sdhc card on it. The new update seems to detect traffic and actually will prompt you during navigation if you want to avoid it. Any how my review still stands, this is still a great full featured unit.

For those who have criticized this unit for lack of support updates are available and free map updates which shows that Navigon indeed stands behind their products. I returned the unit because I wasn't sure if navigon was going to support it. But they did so I bought it again.

I will say however, that the battery life seems to handicap it. I actually had it fully charged and left it in navigation mode without it plugged in and it actually lasted pretty long, about 3 1/2 hours. If you turn it off however, for some reason it still seems to drain the battery. I think it may be the battery itself that is bad, which is sad, since everything else is up to par now. But it's just a battery, so I'm wondering if the battery can be replaced with a better one.
  • Phred 0 Points
    "If you turn it off however, for some reason it still seems to drain the battery. "

Can you quantify that a bit more. "Turn it off" as in full off (ie holding down the power button for 15 sec), or as in "stand by"?

For comparison, I've left mine unused for two days on stand by and the battery level bars were still full when I checked.
  • You have to hold it down for 15 seconds? I didn't realize you had to hold it down that long. I wish it would give you an indication when it's fully turned off. Because when I hold it down for 3 seconds it seems like it's off. How do you tell if it's in standby or if it's off?
  • coop 0 Points
    You have to hold it down for 15 seconds? I didn't realize you had to hold it down that long. I wish it would give you an indication when it's fully turned off. Because when I hold it down for 3 seconds it seems like it's off. How do you tell if it's in standby or if it's off?
    I hold it down for 10 sec, then press the button again to see if it powers back up.

Holding the button for less, puts it in standby. In standby, pushing the power button once bring the screen back on
  • Ok, looks like i've been doing it wrong all this time. I see what your saying. I've been putting the unit in standby all this time.
  • Kalison 0 Points
    Did the faster SD card increase the performance of map redraw? or was it just all menu performance.

You have me interested! The main turn off was while I was in a store messing around with it, the menus were just so damn slow.
  • Kalison 0 Points
    lol guess not :P
  • Hi Jay. Here's a quick update Just wanted to give you the good news, it IS possible to add POI files to the 7100. However I'm going to wait a few weeks to see if Navigon adds this new feature to their update first. BTW you can also add a media player to the 7100 and the navigational instructions will play louder over the music wink I'll be collecting a bunch of 7100 'tricks and tips' and posting them in a separate thread later this month, but I first wanted you to know that it IS possible to do what you want to do )
    Hey,

any new information....on any of the above info??

N41
  • but i couldn't find in the manual how to change voices and languages.

Currently it is not in there, but this might be addressed in the update. On the unit there are 3 folders with 3 different voices. All have the same files. I haven't had the time to look but my guess is that you'd simply need to change the folder name in a XML file.

And how do you know the model you buy is not from the early batch ?

You don't, but you can open it up at the store and check. It should be version 77 or higher. I wouldn't think that there would be many old versions still around, and even if there were the update would make it a moot point.
    How do I check what version I have??

N41