This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

POIs not available enroute

jgreenwa 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Vehicle Forum
I have a Magellan Maestro 3100. While I am en route to a destination, the POI menu is not available from the Main Menu. The only POI selection available is Exit POIs. This would be great if I were on a highway, but usually I am involved in driving through towns on local streets.

The only way it seems that I can get to the POI selection is to cancel the route, look for my POIs and then re-enter my original destination. This is frustrating, because many times, I am just getting POI information - and deciding not to actually route there.

Is there some way to get regular POIs while enroute - and without selecting them to appear on the map through user options.

Thanks,
Jay

Comments

• mreish 0 Points
    Which firmware version are you running? I've the same thing after I update my firmware. Also, mine crashes an awful lot now too.
  • mreish,
    Not sure what version - I left it in the car. I did just do the update over the last weekend, so I'm guessing I have the same version as you. Mine seems to be stable though - no lock ups.

I did speak with Magellan customer support today. They said that its true ... you can only look at Exit POIs en route... you have to cancel your route to look at other POIs. Its not a very smart design but that's the way it is.

For anyone interested, after about 1 week of use - here are my pet peeves... keep in mind that this is my first GPS..
    1- You have to cancel a route to view POIs
    2- When you want to view POIs near a location, you can't point to an address in your address book, you have to key in the address from scratch
    3- Finding a numbered highway can be frustrating... US 309 vs PA 309 vs whatever.... sometimes the numbered roads have lesser known names and you can't find them
    4- Sometimes the address you are given has the town as a PO address and they are not in that town. They might be in a township or the next town over - and it is impossible to find the street.

These are fairly minor nits - but I thought I'd mention them.

Jay
  • patruns 10 Points
    Sometimes the address you are given has the town as a PO address and they are not in that town. They might be in a township or the next town over - and it is impossible to find the street.
    No GPS can tell you where someone lives by a PO Box.
  • Sometimes the address you are given has the town as a PO address and they are not in that town. They might be in a township or the next town over - and it is impossible to find the street.

No GPS can tell you where someone lives by a PO Box.
    I realize that. I guess I miscommunicated. My frustration is that sometimes the road isn't exactly in the town indicated by the address. You should be able to search for a road in a wider context - as you are able to do in Google. For instance, if I asked for ABC Rd, in XYZ town and it isn't in that town, the system should give me a list of towns the road IS in that I could select. The example I can give is this... I used to live in Lower Makefield, PA. My mailing address was in Newtown, PA. If anyone asked my address, I would tell them "Newtown, PA". Newtown was the next town over. If you looked up my street in Newtown, you wouldn't find it.

This situation occurs more often than you would think. I've had it happen at least 3 times since I got the Maestro for Christmas.

j
  • patruns 10 Points
    Ah, now I understand..............

From a strictly logical standpoint, it makes sense to search for town first then street as the search results get smaller and smaller. Searching by street name first would take the unit a lot longer with unpredictable results. Can you imagine asking for Main Street in New York state? You might end up scrolling through dozens of screens to find the one you wanted.

While I understand your concern, I think this is one of those areas where "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few........ or the one".

:wink: