Which Nuvi's have compass/altimeter/barometer

Which Nuvi's offer a compass/altimeter/barometer? I was on a site that showed me the other day but I've been bouncing around so much I can't find the site again. Unfortunately I couldn't find this comparison on the Garmin site.

Comments

• I know the Navigons have most of that built-in but to find it from Garmin I would simply contact their tech support department.
  • Tim 1276 Points
    None of the Nuvi devices have a barometer nor electronic compass. There isn't a separate altimeter from the elevation calculated by the GPS.
  • I know the Navigons have most of that built-in but to find it from Garmin I would simply contact their tech support department.
    I downloaded the Navigon 7100 manual, but it doesn't say anything in there about a barometer, altimeter, or compass. A compass would be an easy thing to dispay with the nuvi's. I mean, all of the necessary data is being received by the unit. It's just that Garmin has opted to not give us a compass display, or a decent elevation screen. It's there, but it's in very small text in the somewhat "hidden" satellite window. Don't get me started again..... :roll:
  • Tim 1276 Points
    But that isn't what is commonly referred to on a GPS as an electronic compass. It will show you what direction you last moved, however it will not show you the orientation of the device independent of movement (what an electronic compass does).
  • I think I understand what you're saying. But if the vehicle is moving in a particular heading, the screen display will show that numeric headingregardless of the actual unit orientation. That's the key with my thinking. You need to be moving in order for the GPS to establish an accurate compass setup. If you want to visually spot a particular direction, standing still, I agree that you would have a problem.
  • I downloaded the Navigon 7100 manual, but it doesn't say anything in there about a barometer, altimeter, or compass.
    Yeah well let's just say that the manual could be better :lol: You may have been looking at the first manual, and not the updated one. I know it's in there because it's one of the features that I don't like (they should have made speed and altitude two separate windows, instead of 'bundling' them together). The compass is located in the upper righthand corner of the unit (when it's switched on) The other part is directly below it in a separate window. You can find both of them in the Basic Settings section on page 76 (see screenshot below). Hope this helps :wink:

BTW-you would also be able to convert the Navigon 7100 to any kind of compass unit by simply installing a few PocketPC files. It would then be a dedicated unit to match your needs. Just google for Pocket PC software and see if anything looks interesting. For example; I installed a audio/video player on our 7100 yesterday, and today I'll be experimenting with installing files similar to google maps :wink: Here is one such example just to give you a quick idea.
  • As far as I Know the 2360 has an electronic compass. It is clearly written at the armin website. I´m not sure that the 3790 has it, although it is supposed to be the top model.
  • My Nuvi 295W has a built in compass.
    It's shirt pocket size.

DaveL
  • My GZone Boulder has an electronic compass! :)
  • Boyd 1311 Points
    Is that a Nuvi?
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    The nuvi 2460 will also have a 3-axis compass.