This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

HP iPaq 310 - anyone got one yet? [HP]

patruns 10 Points
This looks like an intersting unit! You can find a few reviews out there. Pretty too!

Comments

• Yes, I have had one for about two months. I like it - had a Garmin 260, TomTom One and TomTom GO 720 before that ... I like this one better. But I must tell you - the learning curve is steep! This is not a simple A to B, Garmin-type PND.

You can read reviews on it on Amazon and CNET - they're all over the map - some hate it with a passion, others like it with as much fervour. I fall in the latter category. I've been following other forums and I can tell you that those who gave it a thumb down either weren't patient enough to pass the learning curve; or they attempted to customize their 310. This GPS is running on the Windows CE 5.0 platform and some folks have tried to customize it by adding Pocket PC games and other software ... many have literally bricked their 310 or are experiencing chronic problems with freezes, fatal application errors, etc.

I haven't made any changes to it and everything is working as intended. Signal acquisition is the fastest I've ever seen, and haven't yet lost the signal once. Route recalculation is within seconds, the display is unbeatable.

Weak points - not too many:

- the speaker for one is weak. Thanks to the Audio-Out port, I can connect mine to my car audio system (AUX port), so the weak speaker is a non-issue for me. For those who would have to rely on the 310 on-board speaker, you can still hear it OK, even at highway speeds ... but it could be louder, I'd say 25% louder. I understand that there will be a firmware update that will address that.

- This device is also supposed to sync with MS Outlook, such that the user wouldn't have to manually enter contacts on the 310. Just by hooking to your desktop, one should be able to transfer all the contacts to the 310 and use them immediately for telephone communications or for navigation purposes. Unfortunately it doesn't work. 90% of the addresses transferred over are not navigatable. It also stands to reason that many of the contacts in Outlook are not needed for GPS purposes; but if you delete them from the 310, the next time you sync with your desktop, all the deletions will also be deleted from the desktop, in spite of the correct synchronization rules! So the long and short of it - contact synchronization is a mess and will be part of the firmware update fix (so I'm told.)

Other than that, I've had no issues whatsoever with the 310. I like it a lot.

Hope this helps.

HappyTrails! Drive Safe!
  • Tim 1467 Points
    At long last, our HP iPAQ 310 Review.
  • Has anyone been able to get this at the occasional $199 price via Amazon. I am always missing it by a few hours.

Travis
  • Tim 1467 Points
    I think Infama got it.
  • I think Infama got it.
    Yes!

Indeed, i had it in my shopping cart the first time a couple weeks before but did not pull the trigger.

I decided on it the second time based on Tim's pre-review comments.

It seems to be every other Friday or so. The first time I saw this price referred to was in mid January!
  • @Infama: "I decided on it the second time based on Tim's pre-review comments."

There I was thinking that I had something to do with your decision, for example - the list of 1,8M superiorities! Humm... wishful thinking on my part! :cry:

Cheers!

HappyTrails! Drive Safe!
  • infama 0 Points
    edited February 2008
    @Infama: "I decided on it the second time based on Tim's pre-review comments."

There I was thinking that I had something to do with your decision, for example - the list of 1,8M superiorities! Humm... wishful thinking on my part! :cry:

Cheers!

HappyTrails! Drive Safe!
    You made me consider it, Tim made me decide to finally go in, effectively sealing the deal.

Dont short-change your part (blame) in this. If it was not for you, I would not have been giving it a second look.
  • It sure does look like a fantastic unit, especially with 12 million POI's.

The one big unanswered question I have is: What about customer service? I know that HP is a big respected computer company but that doesn't mean that they will do a great job supporting their PND.

I read in some other posts where people were looking to purchase maps of other countries and the HP people sent them to the MAP company of all places. In addition to HP's customer support, how is their web site?
  • It sure does look like a fantastic unit, especially with 12 million POI's.

The one big unanswered question I have is: What about customer service? I know that HP is a big respected computer company but that doesn't mean that they will do a great job supporting their PND.

I read in some other posts where people were looking to purchase maps of other countries and the HP people sent them to the MAP company of all places. In addition to HP's customer support, how is their web site?
    Jeep,

I got thru to an insider at HP and he assured me that Euro maps on an SD card will be available in the coming weeks. Also, TMC for Europe first is coming soon. It was intimated that the US would be later for traffic.
  • @Jeeplover: I had to call HP a few times in the first two weeks, always got through quickly, hardly no waiting time, talked to a real person, they took the time to listen, put me on hold for a minute or two to investigate or talk to engineer, and came back with an intelligent answer. I also used the on-line chat once or twice, that worked well too.

Cheers!

HappyTrails! Drive Safe