This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

4250 and Microsoft Streets and Trips

detekinc 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Vehicle Forum
I am very new to the GPS world and am looking at buying my first GPS, the 4250. What I am wondering is if you can use software like Streets and Trips to map a route and download that to the GPS unit. Does the 4250 allow this and if not do any of the GPS units allow this (Garmin, etc.)? If so, how is this done, is there a USB cable that comes with the unit?

Thanks

Comments

• jhouck 0 Points
    edited January 2008
    I am very new to the GPS world and am looking at buying my first GPS, the 4250. What I am wondering is if you can use software like Streets and Trips to map a route and download that to the GPS unit. Does the 4250 allow this and if not do any of the GPS units allow this (Garmin, etc.)? If so, how is this done, is there a USB cable that comes with the unit?

Thanks
    Nope. The 4250 uses it's own map database based on NAVTEQ data. There is no provision to create routes off the device and download them and I don't believe that there is any *automotive" GPS that allows this. At least in all my research, I never ran across that feature in any other GPS line.

OTOH, the 4250 has a very good multi-segment routing and optimization engine already built in...

[EDIT] Thx for the info Tim. I didn't realize the Garmin units would do that... my bad.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    There are some ways on other devices to do that. For example the Nuvi 700 series with the optional MapSource software will allow you to plan a route on your computer and send it via USB to your GPS. The software doesn't come with the Nuvi 700 series, but most people who have asked for it are sent a copy.

There are also third party programs out there that will take a route you generate in Google Maps and create a TomTom Itinerary file for use on most of the TomTom devices.

I don't know of any such solution for Magellan devices.
  • Thanks for the info. I like using something like Streets and Trips to plan a trip and it would be great to be able to download it to the device. The thing I like about the 4250 is the AAA information, exit POIs, route exclusion, trip planning on the unit and how it splits the screen when on a route. I would almost rather buy a Garmin, especially if you can download trips but the lack of the above features is a real strike against them. I have debated between the 4250 and the Garmin 360 but still looking more at the 4250.
  • infama 0 Points
    Thanks for the info. I like using something like Streets and Trips to plan a trip and it would be great to be able to download it to the device. The thing I like about the 4250 is the AAA information, exit POIs, route exclusion, trip planning on the unit and how it splits the screen when on a route. I would almost rather buy a Garmin, especially if you can download trips but the lack of the above features is a real strike against them. I have debated between the 4250 and the Garmin 360 but still looking more at the 4250.
    The Garmin is smaller than the widescreen Magellan.