This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Just got it...but

pleum21 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
This is my first post, and I am very excited about my second GPS which is TomTom one :wink:

After I read lot of experts opinions. Hope I can get some feedback of my questions of this device.

1. When the TT1 navigate where I want to go...quite often I can't see what street I am on...and I have garman before..and it shows street you are on. Is there anyway I can see what street I am driving?

2. Seems there are only few street names show in the screen. IS there any ways I can see more street ahead? or other gps does same thing?

3. I choose the fastest route as the navigation. But quite often it wants me to turn to the smaller street and do more turns ...and take longer to get where I want. Any ways to improve it?

4. I don't understand what the bluetooth for as I can't use it as handfree?

5. One question is not related to TT1, I heard LG starting new GPS (LN735)
they have cheaper price and more functions/features. But not sure what brand of map they are using. and the gps preformance is bassed on the map quality?

Thanks guy. Any responese will help. :wink:

Comments

• Tim 1479 Points
    1) Menu --> 'Change Preferences' --> 'Status Bar Preferences' --> 'Street Name'.

2) There are not any settings for this.... If I understand correctly what you are looking at.

3) No, you could insert a via point on the road you do want to travel on, but otherwise you can just ignore the instruction to go the slower route and it will automatically recalculate the route.

4) The Bluetooth is to connect to a Bluetooth phone and use it to gather data from the TomTom PLUS services such as weather, traffic, etc.

5) Some of GPS performance is based on map quality. The map vendor who has the best quality can vary by country, region, and city. If you haven't already, check out our article on Tele Atlas versus NAVTEQ. We've been in contact with LG, but I don't have too many details at this point. We are expecting more information shortly. I often find it difficult to recommend GPS devices from companies that are new to selling GPS because if they don't last, you won't be able to update maps, get support, etc. However being an existing large company, they have a better shot than someone totally new on the block.
  • pleum21 0 Points
    Thanks for the reply Tim.

When I am in navigation mode...the status bar at the bottom always show the street of the next instruction. not the street that I am driving. Any ways I can see what street I am driving?

Also, I got this device last week, the map is the most updated. In the box, there is a card with the product code and say 1 US and Canada map. Can I use this card for future map update? and would that be free?

Thanks again.
    1) Menu --> 'Change Preferences' --> 'Status Bar Preferences' --> 'Street Name'.

2) There are not any settings for this.... If I understand correctly what you are looking at.

3) No, you could insert a via point on the road you do want to travel on, but otherwise you can just ignore the instruction to go the slower route and it will automatically recalculate the route.

4) The Bluetooth is to connect to a Bluetooth phone and use it to gather data from the TomTom PLUS services such as weather, traffic, etc.

5) Some of GPS performance is based on map quality. The map vendor who has the best quality can vary by country, region, and city. If you haven't already, check out our article on Tele Atlas versus NAVTEQ. We've been in contact with LG, but I don't have too many details at this point. We are expecting more information shortly. I often find it difficult to recommend GPS devices from companies that are new to selling GPS because if they don't last, you won't be able to update maps, get support, etc. However being an existing large company, they have a better shot than someone totally new on the block.
  • Tim 1479 Points
    Got it. I don't believe there is a way to force it to tell you what street you are currently on.

TomTom hasn't announced any future map update details, and it will probably be 6 months or more before that happens, so we won't know until then.
  • Tim 1479 Points
    FYI, we now have one of those new LG models. You can read our review of the LG LN735 GPS.